Latest PSU headlines:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    could've sworn there was. or maybe i misread a post by one of the members. i think it was Xtra.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT

1) Digital Foundry / Eurogamer claims in an article that 4.5 GB is available for development at launch, with 512 MB / 1 GB as flexible memory

2) Various, unbanned GAF insiders have said "That article is incorrect"

3) Thuway, Famousmortimer, BruceLeeRoy, and Verendus (all unbanned) have all heard "The memory situation on PS4 is ideal and has exceeded expectations in every way." That should mean that games at launch won't be affected by any kind of restrictions in place

4) Thuway stated that some games currently in development are using 6 GB of RAM, but also implied some form of RAM restrictions at launch is not completely out of the equation

5) Kagari (has connections to Square-Enix) also agreed with the 6 GB claim

6) VBlank Entertainment (Retro City Rampage) has denied that Sony is reserving 3.5 GB of RAM for the OS

7)Brian Provinciano, head of confirmed PlayStation 4 developer Vblank Entertainment, has called the Digital Foundry rumors “absolutely false.”
    He went up with an editorial on the drama, in which he provides insight. He wouldn’t confirm how much memory is used, however.

NOTHING is confirmed until either Sony states something or launch RAM allocations are revealed in some way

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    could've sworn there was. or maybe i misread a post by one of the members. i think it was Xtra.
    Ive heard people allude to a sound chip, but there isn't one per se, there is simply an audio encoder/decoder for conversion as far as I know.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post

1) Digital Foundry / Eurogamer claims in an article that 4.5 GB is available for development at launch, with 512 MB / 1 GB as flexible memory

3) Thuway, Famousmortimer, BruceLeeRoy, and Verendus (all unbanned) have all heard "The memory situation on PS4 is ideal and has exceeded expectations in every way." That should mean that games at launch won't be affected by any kind of restrictions in place

4) Thuway stated that some games currently in development are using 6 GB of RAM, but also implied some form of RAM restrictions at launch is not completely out of the equation

6) VBlank Entertainment (Retro City Rampage) has denied that Sony is reserving 3.5 GB of RAM for the OS

7)Brian Provinciano, head of confirmed PlayStation 4 developer Vblank Entertainment, has called the Digital Foundry rumors “absolutely false.”
    He went up with an editorial on the drama, in which he provides insight. He wouldn’t confirm how much memory is used, however.

NOTHING is confirmed until either Sony states something or launch RAM allocations are revealed in some way
    yeah saw that at gaf. Its just how the internet is. We like to exaggerate everything. Myself included

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Ive heard people allude to a sound chip, but there isn't one per se, there is simply an audio encoder/decoder for conversion as far as I know.
    Well, it's more than an encoder/decoder, it's an audio processing unit. It will handle the cross-game chat, and 200 concurrent mp3 streams in-game. Thus taking even more load off the main hardware.

Extreme Poster

interesting...well, we'll just wait and see. i think 6GB sounds more plausible but definitely seems like they did reserve some RAM.
    i'm not big on that stuff obviously...i had heard a discussion about how both consoles were trying to deal with overhead. i may have misread it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i'm not big on that stuff obviously...i had heard a discussion about how both consoles were trying to deal with overhead. i may have misread it.
    "Audio is processed through a dedicated hardware unit which will handle things like audio chat, in-game MP3 streams without requiring significant resources from the CPU.

Video compression and decompression is also handled via a dedicated chip on the motherboard.

The PS4 supports zlib decompression via a dedicated unit which will allow developers to compress game data for faster download from Blu-ray and the internet.

Blu-ray data can be copied to the PS4 hard drive while you play the game during times when the disk is idle"

All this, plus ofcourse the secondary ARM processor in the southbridge that handles all the low power stuff and the background OS stuff.

Extreme Poster
    yea yea that lol...what you said.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    "Audio is processed through a dedicated hardware unit which will handle things like audio chat, in-game MP3 streams without requiring significant resources from the CPU.

Video compression and decompression is also handled via a dedicated chip on the motherboard.

The PS4 supports zlib decompression via a dedicated unit which will allow developers to compress game data for faster download from Blu-ray and the internet.

Blu-ray data can be copied to the PS4 hard drive while you play the game during times when the disk is idle"

All this, plus ofcourse the secondary ARM processor in the southbridge that handles all the low power stuff and the background OS stuff.
    “There’s dedicated audio hardware,” he revealed. “The principal thing that it does is that it compresses and decompresses audio streams, various formats. So some of that is for the games – you’ll have many, many audio streams in MP3 or another format and the hardware will take care of that for you.

“Or, on the system side for example, audio chat – the compression and decompression of that.”

He also added that the GPU can be useful to do different types of audio processing.

“It really does come down though to the amount of parallelisation that is natural to perform for that algorithm, and that does vary greatly depending on what you are doing specifically in your audio processing. I think that as you go forward we will see a hybrid approach in a couple of years where certain aspects of the audio are being done on GPU.”
    It is not an audio chip. It does no audio processing, it simply decompress/re-compress audio signals. Which it sees little more than PCM data.
    That's like saying zip runs excel files because you can zip an excel file.

It certainly takes a load of the CPU in terms of compression, but it doesn't actually help play a sound.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-29-2013 at 05:59.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    It is not an audio chip. It does no audio processing, it simply decompress/re-compress audio signals. Which it sees little more than PCM data.
    That's like saying zip runs excel files because you can zip an excel file.

It certainly takes a load of the CPU in terms of compression, but it doesn't actually help play a sound.
    Ok, yeah, all the articles were calling it an audio processing unit, but it is for decompression of many audio streams simultaneously.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Ok, yeah, all the articles were calling it an audio processing unit, but it is for decompression of many audio streams simultaneously.
    Which is still bloody handy to have.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Which is still bloody handy to have.
    Yeah, if I'm not mistaken that's what takes most the processing power for tons of simultaneously playing audio streams. Them having to be decompressed and played by the hardware on-the-fly is more intensive than actually playing them all, am I correct?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Yeah, if I'm not mistaken that's what takes most the processing power for tons of simultaneously playing audio streams. Them having to be decompressed and played by the hardware on-the-fly is more intensive than actually playing them all, am I correct?
    Yeah, well, depends on the compression, but yes generally.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Yeah, well, depends on the compression, but yes generally.
    Cool, I wasn't positive, but that's how I thought it worked.

Here's another little article telling people to calm down about the ram debate:

PS4 RAM: Sony Didn’t Lie, Let’s All Just Hush-Up About It

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

That's exactly what I've been saying. We as gamers shouldn't care what the hell either one of these consoles use for OS. Now if over half of this isn't used for games. Then that as I seriously problem for sure. That is serious bloating. This is for developers t to make due with not us.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    That's exactly what I've been saying. We as gamers shouldn't care what the hell either one of these consoles use for OS. Now if over half of this isn't used for games. Then that as I seriously problem for sure. That is serious bloating. This is for developers t to make due with not us.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht9lU-mgrEo

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Who has played TLOU? How much RAM does PS3 have? Even 2GB of GDDR5 RAM would still be great, 4.5 GB would be awesome. I think people have wayyyy overreacted to this...Even if it were true, we'd be fine I think .

18. Likes mistercrow, Insanehead, on the rocks likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Who has played TLOU? How much RAM does PS3 have? Even 2GB of GDDR5 RAM would still be great, 4.5 GB would be awesome. I think people have wayyyy overreacted to this...Even if it were true, we'd be fine I think .
    Yeah, and even though it seems it's more than 5GB for devs currently, the OS ram allocation should almost definitely go down over the years.

Looking at the PS3, it started at around 120mb for the OS, and now it's 50mb for the OS. So it shrunk to nearly 2.5x smaller, about 40% the size of the original amount.

The PS4 OS may not even be actually using 1GB ram currently, the applications and future features are just carefully being planned for. By the time devs start looking for more ram to do some extra stuff with, they'll probably have it given to them by then anyhow.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    yeahhhh, but also imagine a completely open world game that looks like TLoU (or better for next gen) i imagine the RAM necessary for something like that would be craziness!
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Power Member
    Items User name style

Honestly, I never even knew people were attributing it to something Sony said.
    They sure as hell don't have to tell people the internals of their system, and I always assumed they had never said a particular size.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    They sure as hell don't have to tell people the internals of their system, and I always assumed they had never said a particular size.
    They haven't told exact numbers and they probably wont. We will have to rely on dev "reports"

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yeah I don't know how in the hell that got so blown out of proportion. I didn't think anyone actually thought Sony said it, just a Sony dev said it. I guess it just snowballed to that offer time.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Power Member
    Items User name style

Brian also has said this:
    Full devkits, include additional RAM. Developers, especially larger teams, can focus on building the game without constantly having to optimize it early in development. They can use every bit of the system’s RAM for the game, and the extra RAM for hot loading assets, debug data, analytics, even their level editor. Anything else needed. With a retail unit, they’d need to set aside some of their game’s RAM if they need any debug data or such.
    He has also, NOT denounced Eurogamer since they changed their title to 5gb, but still denounced GI for saying 4.5gb.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I don't think any game would ever use that much anyway. PC games don't.

Apprentice

I don't understand why Mynd thinks this is an issue.

He bascially said the previous 2GB advantage the PS4 had over the xbone could easily be fixed by streaming.

So mynd, is this an issue or not ?

Thread Information