Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its basically emulating a PC's split memory configuration with a unified pool. Better? not without a few key things they have put in place, that 3rd bus between the CPU->GPU for one. But it does mean the sharing of resources isnt quite what it could have been, but I do understand why they went that way for ease of porting content from PC.
    X1 has split memory so isnt it like a PC too? http://www.oxm.co.uk/59251/features/...gamers/?page=1 PC type split RAM would be one pool for GPU and one pool for CPU like the PS3. Thats not how PS4 or X1 are set up. So no, its not like a PC. Good explanation here in this thread from acrillycaltair. http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...-of-RAM/page18
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-30-2013 at 20:03.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    MS is splitting the memory between O/S.
    MS's solution is more like having two computers. (Hard to explain if you haven't used Hyper-V).
    But the bus is shared between the CPU's and the GPU and the memory.

The way MS is splitting/reserving memory is hte same as SOnsy splitting/reserving memory for the O/S.

That's a software thing.
    I'm talking about a hardware thing.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    MS is splitting the memory between O/S. MS's solution is more like having two computers. (Hard to explain if you haven't used Hyper-V). But the bus is shared between the CPU's and the GPU and the memory. The way MS is splitting/reserving memory is hte same as SOnsy splitting/reserving memory for the O/S. That's a software thing. I'm talking about a hardware thing.
    A separate memory pool for GPU and CPU is what the PS3 did which is like a PC. PS4 isnt doing that. Thats hardware is it not? Just trying to understand all this. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-30-2013 at 21:05.

Ultimate Veteran
    If I am understanding correctly, it's selectable in the software how much goes where, much like you can dedicate RAM to a GPU in a laptop that has shared memory in it's BIOS.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    If I am understanding correctly, it's selectable in the software how much goes where, much like you can dedicate RAM to a GPU in a laptop that has shared memory in it's BIOS.
    Oh ok I gotcha. I'm just trying to understand all this. lol

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    A separate memory pool for GPU and CPU is what the PS3 did which is like a PC. PS4 isnt doing that. Thats hardware is it not?
    Yeah it was hardwired back then, now its done through the API. BUt it's still the same result, memory get tagged and sent to specific bus's. In saying that this is way more flexible, and means you can float the allocation. It really a "you choose where it goes" vs it being imposed

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Yeah, it's not a bad solution, people keep thinking I'm saying its bad. It makes the system incredibly flexible, powerful and that 3rd bus makes for all sort of interesting options.
    As Cerny has said he wants it to be really easy to work with initially, and initially it does, it looks and acts like a PC. But once you scratch the surface, a whole new (ok lets not beat around the bush it's a cousin to the Cell idea) way of working opens up.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-30-2013 at 21:09.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah it was hardwired back then, now its done through the API. BUt it's still the same result, memory get tagged and sent to specific bus's. In saying that this is way more flexible, and means you can float the allocation. It really a "you choose where it goes" vs it being imposed Yeah, it's not a bad solution, people keep thinking I'm saying its bad. It makes the system incredibly flexible, powerful and that 3rd bus makes for all sort of interesting options. As Cerny has said he wants it to be really easy to work with initially, and initially it does, it looks and act like a PC. But once you scratch the surface, a whole new (ok lets not beat around the bush it's a cousin to the Cell idea) way of working.
    Ok, thanks for bearing with me and explaining it in an easy to understand way. I get what youre saying now.

Thread Information