Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Rumor Control: 6GBs for games according to N4G source Gematsu

Please apply to the below and report any stinging sensation on butthurt areas or individuals from yesterday.

Rumor update: PS4 reserves up to 5GB of RAM for games [Update: 'Absolutely false', 6GB hinted]

Update: Brian Provinciano, head of confirmed PlayStation 4 developer Vblank Entertainment, has called the Digital Foundry rumors “absolutely false.”

“It’s absolutely false,” he said in response to the rumors. “Absolutely ridiculous.”

Provinciano went up with an editorial on the drama, in which he provides insight. He wouldn’t confirm how much memory is used, however.

Meanwhile, over on NeoGAF, known insider Thuway hinted PlayStation 4 will reserve six gigabytes of RAM for games and two for the operating system (Update within update: “There are games in development that are using 6 GB of RAM.”) BruceLeeRoy, another known insider, and forum admin Kagari corroborated Thuway’s report.

Obviously, nothing’s confirmed until Sony says something themselves. But considering they didn’t confirm numbers to Digital Foundry, I wouldn’t expect that at this point. (PS4)

http://n4g.com/news/1320944/rumor-up...lse-6gb-hinted

Rumor update: PS4 reserves up to 5GB of RAM for games [Update: 'Absolutely false', 6GB hinted]Sony clarifies "direct" and "flexible" memory systems.
    July 27, 2013 / 11:46 AM EDT / Sal Romano (@salromano)

Update: Brian Provinciano, head of confirmed PlayStation 4 developer Vblank Entertainment, has called the Digital Foundry rumors “absolutely false.”
    “It’s absolutely false,” he said in response to the rumors. “Absolutely ridiculous.”
    Provinciano went up with an editorial on the drama, in which he provides insight. He wouldn’t confirm how much memory is used, however.
    Meanwhile, over on NeoGAF, known insider Thuway hinted PlayStation 4 will reserve six gigabytes of RAM for games and two for the operating system (Update within update: “There are games in development that are using 6 GB of RAM.”)BruceLeeRoy, another known insider, and forum admin Kagari corroborated Thuway’s report.
    Obviously, nothing’s confirmed until Sony says something themselves. But considering they didn’t confirm numbers to Digital Foundry, I wouldn’t expect that at this point.
    Original Story: Digital Foundry has followed up on its report yesterday claiming PlayStation 4 reserves 4.5 gigabytes of memory for games, with an additional gigabyte of ‘flexible’ memory, and 3.5 gigabytes for the operating system.
    Today, new sources tell the site that, similar to yesterday, 4.5 gigabytes of PlayStation 4′s 8 gigabytes of DDR5 memory is currently guaranteed to game developers, and an additional 512 megabytes of physical RAM from the flexible memory may be available in addition.
    The report comes with comment from Sony, who didn’t confirm the amount of memory reserved or what it is used for, but offered to clear up misunderstandings regarding “direct” and “flexible” memory systems.
    “‘Direct Memory’ is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation,” a Sony rep said.
    “‘Flexible Memory’ is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game’s behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game’s memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game’s memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.”
    With Sony’s statement, Digital Foundry reckons there is 4.5 gigabytes of conventional RAM available to developers, alongside the OS-controlled flexible memory described by Sony.
    “We understand that this is a 1GB virtual address space, split into two areas – 512MB of on-chip RAM is used (the physical area) and another 512MB is ‘paged,’ perhaps like a Windows swap file,” the site said. “But to be clear, of the 8GB of GDDR5 on PS4, our contention is that 5GB of it is available to developers.”

http://gematsu.com/2013/07/rumor-upd...-5gb-ram-games

This is fun. Slow day for news. You guys should check out the screenies on The Order. That game is looking sexy!

2. Likes JDizzleNO1 , Omar, daLa, Shingo likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    We need a few more threads about this topic. lol. Slow news day indeed.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    N4G is just a copy paste of other news sites.

Superior Member
    This is too funny. The only thing people can $#@! about on the PS4 is if 5gb of memory is enough, which isn't even confirmed. Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG44 View Post
    This is too funny. The only thing people can $#@! about on the PS4 is if 5gb of memory is enough, which isn't even confirmed. Lol
    And it's really not like it would give the XBox One the upper hand in any case.

8. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    And it's really not like it would give the XBox One the upper hand in any case.
    exactly.
    though the carnival of stupid will continue on via agenda driven individuals here, on neogaf, and all over teh interwebs.

10. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    6 gig is awesome they can do a lot with that

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    It's like this, Person A has a problem with his machine and the Person B has a more technically advanced machine that was flawless, until it ran out ink! So person A starts laughing that Person's B machine has no ink! When that fact that person B's machine is better than person A's machine still!
    Last edited by TheBreezyBB; 07-29-2013 at 00:36.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    It's like this, Person A has a problem with his machine and the Person B has a more technically advanced machine that was flawless, until it ran out ink! So person A starts laughing that Person's B machine has no ink! When that fact that person B's machine is better than better than person A's machine still!
    so true lol

Master Guru
    6gb's for games would be more than enough. Sony's first party developers will do work on the PS4.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    N4G is just a copy paste of other news sites.
    The info is from NeoGaf though, and I do think they might be right. There's plenty of peeps with actual knowledge there because they know people and that kind suff.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    6gb's for games would be more than enough. Sony's first party developers will do work on the PS4.
    That would be twice as much memory as a top-of-line GeForce 780GTX card. That's a TON of RAM. To be frank, 5 isn't shabby at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    exactly.
    though the carnival of stupid will continue on via agenda driven individuals here, on neogaf, and all over teh interwebs.
    Yes.... there are some AGENDAS here. Based on posts......PLENTY of AGENDAS to go around.

What I find as VERY ODD is this....

Brian Provinciano, head of confirmed PlayStation 4 developer Vblank Entertainment, has called the Digital Foundry rumors “absolutely false.”

So we have Sony making SURE to make a clarification...... but won't DENY the news about the amount of RAM and WON'T clarify THAT.....

Then we have a Brian Provinciano calling bull$#@! on the rumors yet HE won't clarify and give a number either.

I find it amazing at how DETAILED Sony was with the specs.... sending Mark Cerny out there clarifying and giving details about THAT.... BUT..... somehow the amount of RAM available to devs is something that shouldn't be clarified.

I mean.... why is the hardware an OPEN BOOK.... but they don't want to tell us the RAM allocation? Just seems very ODD to me.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Yes.... there are some AGENDAS here. Based on posts......PLENTY of AGENDAS to go around.

What I find as VERY ODD is this....

So we have Sony making SURE to make a clarification...... but won't DENY the news about the amount of RAM and WON'T clarify THAT.....

Then we have a Brian Provinciano calling bull$#@! on the rumors yet HE won't clarify and give a number either.

I find it amazing at how DETAILED Sony was with the specs.... sending Mark Cerny out there clarifying and giving details about THAT.... BUT..... somehow the amount of RAM available to devs is something that shouldn't be clarified.

I mean.... why is the hardware an OPEN BOOK.... but they don't want to tell us the RAM allocation? Just seems very ODD to me.
    Sony shot Kennedy.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

19. Likes thanatos144, Lefein, Omar, mistercrow likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

that's precisely why devs are saying it does not concern the consumer

weather it be 1, 2, or 10GB. we wont be doing anything with it.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

That's what I think about it. This wont have any effect on the consumer because the consumers are not creating games. You should really look at the IGN forums. Everyone at IGN is going ape over this in the Xbox section. LOL I've been gaming on the PC for a good few years now and even with the most intensive game I think the recommended amount of RAM is 4gb. 5gb or whatever is more than enough until the next consoles come out again.

Veteran
    When a recognized game dev says it is 6GB available for games and there is a pretty solid statement that Watchdogs is already using 5GB, then it seems more likely the OS uses around 1GB and needs 2GB to operate in. Makes a whole lot more sense than what was being said last week. Yeah, even 5GB is a lot and why it was such a megaton when Mark Cerny revealed it was 8GB. The shock waves from that megaton keep reverberating.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

23. Likes Insect likes this post

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    Whocares?

25. Likes JDizzleNO1 , Insect likes this post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Sony shot Kennedy.
    Sony WAS around then.... and word has it that Kennedy was about to sign an executive order putting high tariffs on Sony's products so........ you put the pieces together!

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    that's precisely why devs are saying it does not concern the consumer

weather it be 1, 2, or 10GB. we wont be doing anything with it.
    But WHY not PUT IT TO REST by telling us? The devs and Sony seem to have no problems talking EVERYTHING ELSE about the PS4 even though IT DOES NOT CONCERN THE CONSUMER.

That's why I'm not buying your "IT DOES NOT CONCERN THE CONSUMER" theory. The forums are LIGHTING UP over this. Those ARE A LOT OF CONSUMERS. So much so that Sony felt it had to CLARIFY something within 24 hours....and on a weekend on top of that.

That's a pretty quick PR response on a weekend for something that "does not concern the consumer". It certainly CONCERNED Sony enough to respond with a NON-ANSWER clarification.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    It seems like the target allocated ram for the OS is still moving really fast right now as they try to finalize the first version of the OS. There's definitely gonna be room left in there for future proofing, but they probably aren't talking on it yet because they don't have it exactly pinned down yet. They'll always start with more for the OS though, because they can't ever take back more for the OS later in the life cycle, they can only give more to games if anything changes. I'd assume they wouldn't lock away more than 2GB right now completely for the OS though, so if it's 2GB-OS, 5GB-Games, and 1GB flexible, that could work for the initial ratio. Later on, after optimizing everything to be as efficient as possible, if they have tons of the future features and apps they want and they all run within 0.5-1.5GB for the OS - then they can give another 1-2GB or so to devs purely for games.

I think people are looking into this way more than they should.

29. Likes ijst2000 likes this post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Insect View Post
    I think people are looking into this way more than they should.
    Considering the Xbox One had every aspect of it critiqued looking for and pointing out weaknesses, POTENTIAL weaknesses and PERCEIVED weaknesses for months..... what did you expect? At the very least it's a case of ...turnabout is fair play I suppose.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Sony shot Kennedy.

-Sony broke into Watergate
    -Sony Staged the Moon landing
    -Sony is behind 9/11
    -Sony is why Bush was president

Didn't you know?

32. Likes thanatos144 likes this post

Yea but that's a straight pissing match because it just goes back and forth. What do consumers gain from debating this? I guess it's one of those things I will never understand.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    But WHY not PUT IT TO REST by telling us? The devs and Sony seem to have no problems talking EVERYTHING ELSE about the PS4 even though IT DOES NOT CONCERN THE CONSUMER.

That's why I'm not buying your "IT DOES NOT CONCERN THE CONSUMER" theory. The forums are LIGHTING UP over this. Those ARE A LOT OF CONSUMERS. So much so that Sony felt it had to CLARIFY something within 24 hours....and on a weekend on top of that.

That's a pretty quick PR response on a weekend for something that "does not concern the consumer". It certainly CONCERNED Sony enough to respond with a NON-ANSWER clarification.
    what is the "everything else" they are talking about? there's the total RAM, the Memory bandwidth, the rough specs (this was leaked though) and no DRM policy...

this is about as much as sony revealed...

as for response time. Sony is a big company, considering this was yet another leak, im not surprised they put out a statement to qualm the rumour mill. why would Sony want anything percieved negative to stay in the limelight for too long

RAM is merely a means to store data and retrieve it quickly. if push came to shove, they (the devs) would put that same data onto the HDD like Uncharted does. so the effect to us as the consumer might as well not exist...how would we perceive it? its the devs who would need to do the workaround. we simply enjoy the end result of their hard work.

if the GPU was in actuality 50% weaker. that is something we will notice, as the quality of the good we buy won't be as good.

end result is we, the consumer, won't be bending over backwards to facilitate this info.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Thread Information