Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL

'Witcher 3' devs "don't believe in selling extra content"

"In an industry where paid downloadable content seems pretty standard, at least on the console side, it's a little rare to see developers flat out state that they hate charging for content. CD Projekt Red's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, took some time to talk with Examiner about the studio's upcoming title The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, in an interview that will be fully published on Wednesday. During our discussion, Konrad spoke about providing gamers with extra content, and Projekt Red's stance on the matter.

"We could sell extra content to gamers 'down the road,' but we don’t believe in that," he said, "we believe patches, fixes and additional content should be provided to gamers free of charge. Only something REALLY big, and something that will not make you feel ripped off, justifies a price tag."

A bold statement considering how often we see developers attempt to nickel and dime players into purchasing some weapon skins or a couple new armor permutations. While it certainly doesn't hurt anyone to release the content, in Projekt Red's eyes, everyone would be much happier if it was released free of charge.

But that doesn't mean there will never be any way to continue supporting the developers post release. "If we ever decide to charge you for something," he continued, "we think you will appreciate what you get in return."

By the sounds of it, a full fledged expansion - say something the size of Oblivion's Shivering Isles - would be something that the studio might be okay with charging players for. Needless to say, there's very little horse armor in the Wild Hunt's forecast." ~Source

Hearing stuff like this from devs is SO refreshing. I've heard it a few times from certain indie devs, but it's even more amazing to hear bigger devs say stuff like this. It makes me even more interested in their upcoming games. Capcom can learn a thing or 2 from CD Projekt Red.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I love Projekt Red!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    <3

May they produce a lot more games after the Witcher 3.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    We need more devs that think like that. Awesome.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage

Always have had a lot of time for CDPR. Infact I only bought TW2 because it came without DRM and i wanted to support their move.

Funnily enough it just happened to be one of the best games i've ever played and i'm downloading it again to play through on my new PC.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Well said, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz (holy **** that was a long ass last name).

Ultimate Veteran
    I really REALLY like these guys!
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol wait until capitalism get half of their shares from market.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    ..Now if only they would port Witcher 2 to PS3/4 and figure out an easy way to port Witcher 1 over. All so I could buy them again.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Just wish more devs thought like this! I hate DLC.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

11. Likes TheBreezyBB wishes they had posted this first.
    Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Yeah, man. I especially dislike having DLC from the get-go... meaning they intentionally planned on not including very basic features from the start. I think it's shady.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

13. Likes TheBreezyBB wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member

I like DLC sometimes but this is a breath of fresh air really. Its comforting to know that we will get everything intended from the initial purchase and not have to worry about more coming out (not that playing more of a great game is a bad thing but I would rather concentrate on great main games).

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Yeah, man. I especially dislike having DLC from the get-go... meaning they intentionally planned on not including very basic features from the start. I think it's shady.
    You must love Capcom!

16. Likes $Greatness$ wishes they had posted this first.
    Peaceful Warrior
    Oh yes... they're my favorite. >_>
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I like expansion pack type DLC though. Its the nickle and dime type DLC that I hate. But if its an actual full blown expansion pack that adds a good amount of hours to the game then I'm ok with that.

Peaceful Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I like expansion pack type DLC though. Its the nickle and dime type DLC that I hate. But if its an actual full blown expansion pack that adds a good amount of hours to the game then I'm ok with that.
    Yeah, exactly.

Elite Member
    Agreed. Expansion packs are perfectly fine with me. They're just extras. Not needed to enjoy the game, but maybe some extra explanations, new areas, what have you. small scale DLC is terrible though. Please just release a finished game, we will respect a developer more for it.

I picked up the Witcher a about a year ago. Since then I've played 1 and 2. Simply cannot wait for the 3rd one. I already really liked these developers, and now I have another (massive) reason to love them even more. They have my full support and I know they will deliver.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    It's very hard now days!!

EA & Activision, started it!! They don't care about consumers, they only care about money!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Same here. That character add on **** is stuff that you used to get by doing stuff in game. Now they turned that into a money pot.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    It's very hard now days!!

EA & Activision, started it!! They don't care about consumers, they only care about money!
    Nope, Bethesda started it.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    Nope, Bethesda started it.
    EA & Activision were pushing it a lot more. But, i just found out that Microsoft actually started this!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    EA & Activision were pushing it a lot more. But, i just found out that Microsoft actually started this!
    Yeah, definitely Microsoft was the major proponent of the crazy, greedy, nickel-n-dime you $$$ DLC boom.

Master Guru
    Witcher 3 is going to be amazing. Can't wait for this game.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Price DLC is a s*** thing of today's game industry i agree with the Witcher devs.

Dedicated Member

Huge. DLC that is a full blown add-on is great, usually well worth it. The fairly recent Rage add-on is a perfect example, it added a whole new single player campaign thread and a whole lot more (Season 2 of Smash TV and so forth). Now THAT'S how you do DLC right.

Thread Information