Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Welp.

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Welp.

Excuse me for making a new thread, but the other threads are closed. Strange that.

I periodically pop back from time to time to just read, I won't hide away from the fact I don't really visit this place much or participate at all anymore, not like I used to, I haven't for several months and there are a few reasons for this but that isn't important.

What is important is that I can see this place going down the pan. It has already started. Now before anyone thinks how am I to have such a outlandish opinion I actually think I'm in a good place to make such a statement. I used to be on the staff, for 3 years I think, 2 of those as a moderator. I got to know the staff and the vision for the site at the time. I saw some genuine improvements. Then I left. And popping back every now and then gives the ability to see how it compares.

Needless to say, I was a little confused at first when I was reading the latest big changes. What a silly way to simply oust members of staff with great experience who were in touch with the community. It seems very... jobs for the boys.

I'm sure the new community manager has some great intentions, but it will be interesting for me to pop back in a few months time to actually see if any of them have been implemented and what has changed. You can have noble ideas, you may be the best community manager in the known world but what if there is no 'community' to manage. Big members of the community have left, new features were promised and never delivered and I think this entire place has been on a downwards for quite some time now. That is no dig at anyone, people have their hands tied, I understand. But it will be interesting to see how this place is in a few months time. I'll hold my hands up if I am wrong, but I don't think I will be.

See you all soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

2. Likes IWAO, Jaeger, Lethal , -Dj- likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    I do miss you DC, so sad to see you think its just going downhill, we are doing our best right now to be better, but there are gonna be some rough time's.

Thank you though for this post, your awesome as always and you will always be welcome here

Thank you itachi

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    i agree when cuguy got booted from CM , everything went to $#@!.

5. Likes Lethal likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    i agree when cuguy got booted from CM , everything went to $#@!.
    You do realize that Ghost's official start date isn't until August 1st right? All that has happened so far is staff changes, that's it. Once August 1st arrives things will begin changing around here, and their master plan will be unveiled. I believe it is more appropriate to reserve judgement until you actually see things for yourself. This would be the equivalent of saying a certain PS3 game is crap until you actually see and/or play the game.

8 years and counting!

7. Likes berts08 likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    You do realize that Ghost's official start date isn't until August 1st right? All that has happened so far is staff changes, that's it. Once August 1st arrives things will begin changing around here, and their master plan will be unveiled. I believe it is more appropriate to reserve judgement until you actually see things for yourself. This would be the equivalent of saying a certain PS3 game is crap until you actually see and/or play the game.
    yes i do realize that but after 2 to 3 threads gown down hill. i know there will be more of it.

YouTube Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    yes i do realize that but after 2 to 3 threads gown down hill. i know there will be more of it.
    You can view the previous threads in two separate ways:

1) Things are going downhill.
    2) We have perhaps one of the most passionate communities where all members are voicing concerns/opinions in order to build a better PSU.

Based on my experiences I am going with number 2.

8 years and counting!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)

Really though Justin, while your point IS valid... for all intents and purposes he IS in charge. I am not being consulted, nor do i have any staff access on email chains or forums. I am on 100% blackout from the day the announcement was made.

So, anything that happens from that point out is SOLELY on the new CM and Staff.

I agree though, too early to call stuff a failure on his part.

YouTube Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Really though Justin, while your point IS valid... for all intents and purposes he IS in charge. I am not being consulted, nor do i have any staff access on email chains or forums. I am on 100% blackout from the day the announcement was made.

So, anything that happens from that point out is SOLELY on the new CM and Staff.

I agree though, too early to call stuff a failure on his part.
    Yep. From August 1st and into the future all changes and outcomes will solely be the property of the new/current staff, but mainly the CM and his ambitious directions.

8 years and counting!

Dat Guy
    Yep. From August 1st and into the future all changes and outcomes will solely be the property of the new/current staff, but mainly the CM and his ambitious directions.
    We will listen to the forum members though on what they want also, I know I do every time I read threads, sure not everything can be done, but I do post suggestions to the other staff members.

Thank you itachi

YouTube Editor
    I have sent A LOT of suggestions directly to Alex. Whether or not he chooses to utilize any of them remains to be seen.

8 years and counting!

Dat Guy
    I have sent A LOT of suggestions directly to Alex. Whether or not he chooses to utilize any of them remains to be seen.
    thats awesome Justin, hopefully we can implement some of them.

My view is always the same as it has been, members are first when it comes to anything because without them there would be no site, there would be no discussion's

Thank you itachi

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I know I'm only a 2 year member and my thoughts may not have a lot of weight, but I'm trying to reserve judgement until Ghost makes an announcement on the new rules, new features, and plans.

I do like:
    More mods
    More Admins
    More Active staff

I do not like how infractions and rule breaking will be handled. So instead of just giving a member an infraction and explaining why, the staff will pm the offender with a warning or whatever. It will be a case by case basis.

The problem with this is:

1. Different staff, different strokes. PBM might ban someone for something that Sufi might give a warning for. (Just an example, not saying it would happen.) There needs to be some sort of standard on which the mods and staff agree on.

2. Lack of enforcement. Already threads have went completely off topics and insults traded back and forth not only in threads but in the shoutbox. I know the job hasn't started yet, but the staff is already in position. These things should have been taken care of and there NEEDS to be some way to report shoutbox flaming and violations.

3. Being firm. If a staff member pms a member and gives a warning and then addresses what the problem is, they need to watch out for members getting on their good side and getting out of punishment. A pm system is fine, but staff NEEDS to be firm at the same time.

This is coming from a member who was frequently flamed and harassed under the previous administration and I saw the ropes. I sincerely hope Ghost's plans will work and once again will wait to pass judgement. I also acknowledge I can be a little uptight sometimes but there was times in which I wasn't uptight, that I and other members were simply harassed.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

16. Likes 33x likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I know I'm only a 2 year member and my thoughts may not have a lot of weight, but I'm trying to reserve judgement until Ghost makes an announcement on the new rules, new features, and plans.

I do like:
    More mods
    More Admins
    More Active staff

I do not like how infractions and rule breaking will be handled. So instead of just giving a member an infraction and explaining why, the staff will pm the offender with a warning or whatever. It will be a case by case basis.

1. Different staff, different strokes. PBM might ban someone for something that Sufi might give a warning for. (Just an example, not saying it would happen.) There needs to be some sort of standard on which the mods and staff agree on.

2. Lack of enforcement. Already threads have went completely off topics and insults traded back and forth not only in threads but in the shoutbox. I know the job hasn't started yet, but the staff is already in position. These things should have been taken care of and there NEEDS to be some way to report shoutbox flaming and violations.

3. Being firm. If a staff member pms a member and gives a warning and then addresses what the problem is, they need to watch out for members getting on their good side and getting out of punishment. A pm system is fine, but staff NEEDS to be firm at the same time.

This is coming from a member who was frequently flamed and harassed under the previous administration and I saw the ropes. I sincerely hope Ghost's plans will work and once again will wait to pass judgement. I also acknowledge I can be a little uptight sometimes but there was times in which I wasn't uptight, that I and other members were simply harassed.
    Your the main reason I feel bad for leaving the SMC when I did, felt bad for not being able to help :/

Thank you itachi

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)

I pretty much remain quiet on most things, but you repeatedly have a "poor me" attitude when it comes to how we as staff handled you and frankly I am growing weary of it.

Without going too much into detail, most of your reports were being a little too sensitive to how people were talking to you. Some were valid, and we discussed/acted on them. Hell, we discussed ALL of your PM's and reports, and there were quite many. Point being, you reported individuals more frequently than most members here do. Seriously, you feel slighted like some do because we didn't appease your every report to the level you wanted to see it. That is what is at the core here. Will it change with the new admin? Doubt it. Believe me. It will happen again. Not all reports will be acted upon as you WANT them to be, it will still come down to the staff judgement and evaluation.

I don't mean this to be overly rude, but I refuse to have my staff from before berated on something because you perceive inaction. From what I understand, most of the mods who handled your reports told you the outcomes, or should have. If you PM'd me on an issue, I always created a discussion either in Gtalk (hangouts) or in a forum to discuss proper action. Just because you didn't see what you expected to see come from these doesn't mean we didn't take them into discussion.

Also, side note... if you click on a members name in the shoutbox, you can report their shouts. Then the admin can see a reports tab on the top of the shoutbox. From there they can ban a shouter, delete all the shouts, etc... also if a mod/admin goes into the user CP, bottom left they can deny that user from using shoutbox.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Hey DC, long time no see.

I agree with your comments about the state of the community. I hear stories from the PSU O.Gs about this place back in the day when it was booming, and that what we have now is a forum that is a mere shadow of its former self, which is unfortunate. I like to think that we can get back closer to those days though, and that's my goal. Having said that, I love our small close knit community .

So far, the team has just been settling into things, dealing with the reports that come in and also discussing how we think the site can best be moderated so that there is more harmony and a more inviting place for lurkers.

Once that side of things is up and running, I'll turn my attention to the community stuff. I'm kind of touching on that stuff now, lightly...Chille and his crew have been doing a great job in establishing a FF14 community at the site and I've said that we are at their disposal to try and accommodate whatever is needed to help nurture that project. I've also been working with the Design Squad on plans to refresh the purple name.

The idea is that when we are up against the likes of NeoGAF, GameTrailers, IGN, Gamespot forums etc, the best strategy is probably differentiation. I think it would be cool if PSU was more about just discussing, but creating content, be it writing or visual, or gaming...plus other ideas that may come along. Our site has so many awesome characters, generous, smart and creative people and I know other avenues to celebrate that will come along.

Unfortunately things in my personal life took me away from the forums for almost a week and technical issues have made things rather inefficient for me atm so I'm tracking behind on a few things but we will get there. In general though, there is a LOT of positive stuff happening at the site. The PSU Tech Advisors have been helping Steven with all sorts of stuff around the site. If you see LisureSuitLarry, give him a virtual beer or pat on the back because he is investing a lot of his time to help sort this place out.

I'm growing into this role, and I am dedicated to doing my best to channel my love for this place into positive change and growth. It's still super early days and I am very much an iterative person--so when we implement something, it gets trialled, we look at feedback and we tweak and adjust until things are optimal. I have never been a "get it perfect the first time" kind of guy, which is evident to anyone who has ever read my writing in it's early stages compared to its last.

Anyway, above all my desire is the same as most others here: to see PSU grow into something amazing and have said from the start that I will be accountable and am willing to step down if time proves me ineffective. However the support from the community and the current team is extremely positive and if everyone can look past the differences (and we are adults, it shouldn't be that hard!) and can do their part in promoting a fun, friendly, intelligent forum, then we can succeed.

/€0.02

P.S PSU <3

20. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    I pretty much remain quiet on most things, but you repeatedly have a "poor me" attitude when it comes to how we as staff handled you and frankly I am growing weary of it.
    I'm sorry to hear that, but I don't think I have a "poor me" attitude if it is what I think it is. I'm just telling what I think of the new rule violation system and that's all. I'm backing up what I think with experiences.

Without going too much into detail, most of your reports were being a little too sensitive to how people were talking to you. Some were valid, and we discussed/acted on them. Hell, we discussed ALL of your PM's and reports, and there were quite many. Point being, you reported individuals more frequently than most members here do. Seriously, you feel slighted like some do because we didn't appease your every report to the level you wanted to see it. That is what is at the core here. Will it change with the new admin? Doubt it. Believe me. It will happen again. Not all reports will be acted upon as you WANT them to be, it will still come down to the staff judgement and evaluation.
    That's just not true. A report doesn't have to be responded to me my way, but what I would like for for the report to be looked at or even responded to if it really breaks a rule. That's all I ask and that's all I was asking for these past 2 years.

Now, I did come from another forum that was different than PSU and things were handled differently. I was used to seeing things handled like that. That's probably why you think I want things handled my way, but I was just used to it being handled differently.

I don't mean this to be overly rude, but I refuse to have my staff from before berated on something because you perceive inaction. From what I understand, most of the mods who handled your reports told you the outcomes, or should have. If you PM'd me on an issue, I always created a discussion either in Gtalk (hangouts) or in a forum to discuss proper action. Just because you didn't see what you expected to see come from these doesn't mean we didn't take them into discussion.
    No, this is not true. It was only half of the time I was told the outcome. So there's the problem right there.

Also, side note... if you click on a members name in the shoutbox, you can report their shouts. Then the admin can see a reports tab on the top of the shoutbox. From there they can ban a shouter, delete all the shouts, etc... also if a mod/admin goes into the user CP, bottom left they can deny that user from using shoutbox.
    I didn't know that. Now I know.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

I do like:
    More mods
    More Admins
    More Active staff

Thanks for your feedback Wolf, I have to shoot off SOON but just wanted to say:

1) There will be a fixed condition for the giving of bans, one of which is that it must be agreed upon by at least two staff. The team has been very communicative even in minor reports so the comm lines are good!

2) As has always been the case, forum moderation is HUGELY reliant on members making reports. We can't check every post of every thread!

3) The members of the staff were chosen because they have a great reputation for being impartial, smart and good communicators who have been at PSU for 5 years+. We all have PSU's best interest at heart and are in discussions about how we can best look after the community and deal with the sources of contention. We are getting very close to finalising our first model, and we will share this with the community as soon as its ready.

Damn, I'm late! Gotta love y'all and leave y'all!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Well on the technical side I had a problem where I couldn't use the like function nor post images in my sig. When I asked the former staff about it I was basically told thats the way that it goes and nothing can be done. With the new staff and tech team both of my problems were fixed within a few days and now I can use both functions. So I'm already impressed with this new team.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Disregard, got my answer via PM. Disappointed.
    Last edited by Fenix; 07-29-2013 at 19:16.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Ok what is going on here on the forum...
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    oh dc....

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    You do realize that Ghost's official start date isn't until August 1st right?
    Officially starting means nothing. He is the only Community Manager the forum has. It was official the moment Cuguy was demoted.

28. Likes Jaeger likes this post
    Master Sage
    Let's be honest. Ghost hasn't even officially started his role as community manager yet and he's already managed to piss a fair few people off, myself included. It doesn't bode well for anyone, let alone the community manager, that the community they're supposed to be helping is already opposing their changes before the changes are even made. So far, the changes that have been made are not benefiting the community at all and I, for one, dread to think what changes lie in store for PSU. Like I said, it's the beginning of the end.

30. Likes -Dj- likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Lethal is right. It might not be in the books yet, but we're all working for Ghost now regardless.

@ anyone who is skeptical or disappointed with recent changes: We need to keep to heart that these changes are still very, very recent. Many of the larger scale issues this site faces are completely unrelated to Ghost coming to the helm, but are rather issues that have manifested themselves over a number of years and are something the staff needs to solve. The community has been invaluable in providing feedback and giving us a solid foundation for the changes Ghost and the rest of the staff think need to be made.

If you really thought Ghost, or any other person, would come in and change everything in a heartbeat, you're simply being unrealistic. This is going to take time, and we've barely even begun. Ghost has been at the helm for under the month, so give it a break. I love the feedback but we're not getting anywhere if we keep bashing the guy before he's had a chance to actually do something.

Like everyone else, I am concerned about the future of PSU. Ghost is, too. We all are, and we're doing our best to ensure that the future is brighter rather a barren wasteland. Will we succeed? With the help of the community and people's willingness to occasionally adapt, I think so.

@Jaeger - Dude, aside from staff changes, no real changes have been made yet. Some people got pissed off and stepped down, and everything that happened was the natural reaction to that. New people were brought on, new ideas came to the table.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Let's be honest. Ghost hasn't even officially started his role as community manager yet and he's already managed to piss a fair few people off, myself included. It doesn't bode well for anyone, let alone the community manager, that the community they're supposed to be helping is already opposing their changes before the changes are even made. So far, the changes that have been made are not benefiting the community at all and I, for one, dread to think what changes lie in store for PSU. Like I said, it's the beginning of the end.
    piss a fair few people off? there are probably less than the fingers on both your hands! and most of those are disgruntled ex staff that didnt make the grade here!

and if there was a beginning of the end, it started in 09/10.

get on board or get off at the next stop

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

33. Likes Sleepy, mistercrow, berts08 likes this post

Thread Information