Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL

The Benefits Of Player Created Content

The Benefits Of Player Created Content

It looks like alot of the free-2-play games coming to PS4 are gonna lead the way with the modding. This will be great for there to be a huge boom in user created content in games. To not be forced to buy new $$$ DLC map packs for shooters ever few months just to stay with the population would be very nice. Interest will stay high with games for longer, and there'd be less of a used game issue with no one wanting to get rid of their games because of all the new content constantly releasing. Devs would also have to work harder on DLC to lure gamers into buying it with so many gamers making awesome content for free.

Warframe devs are also creating tools for gamers to create their own levels. They have the clan dojo they recently created that allows the tools to be used to create a dojo for your crew. The tools are being expanded so that eventually you'll be able to create entire levels. So, it seems the user created content is already high on the rise from the get-go. We only need some of the greedier publishers to allow for mod tools in their games now. Like a COD or BF map creator, or Street Fighter full character customizer to create your own outfits/character mods like how PC gamers mod SF4 chars.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Planetside 2 Adds Player Studio, Enables Ability to Make Real Money

I would like this more if the creators could also give the items to gamers for free if they wanted to, instead of it having to go to SOE to be sold. It is still cool to keep the game updated with stuff nonstop, but it could also be a lazy way for SOE to get gamers to do their job for them. It's a step in the right direction still though.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Planetside 2 Adds Player Studio, Enables Ability to Make Real Money

I would like this more if the creators could also give the items to gamers for free if they wanted to, instead of it having to go to SOE to be sold. It is still cool to keep the game updated with stuff nonstop, but it could also be a lazy way for SOE to get gamers to do their job for them. It's a step in the right direction still though.
    wait... so you can create your own stuff and sell to the playerbase for cash?
    Awesome
    and if Sony likes your design and decides to take it they will pay you for your hard work?
    Awesome
    Keeping 60% for themselves for doing absolutely nothing?
    Wait What? Your welcome o_O? Huh? Greedy lazy bastards.
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-30-2013 at 04:59.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    wait... so you can create your own stuff and sell to the playerbase for cash?
    Awesome
    and if Sony likes your design and decides to take it they will pay you for your hard work?
    Awesome
    Keeping 60% for themselves for doing absolutely nothing?
    Wait What? Your welcome o_O? Huh? Greedy lazy bastards.
    It's not generally a bad idea, considering you don't have to go through any of the hard work of dealing with selling it and stuff. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't choose to give the stuff to other players for free it seems. So, you can make awesome stuff, and SOE might not choose it, but you still can't hand it out, atleast that's what I take from this. Also, it depends on how much they try to sell stuff for, if it's really cheap, then it can be cool, but still corny that they don't allow you to share it for free.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    I hate these errors leading to double posts.

Anyhow, yeah, they need to allow you to share user created content for free.
    Last edited by XtraTrstrL; 07-30-2013 at 05:08.

Veteran
    not a bad idea no, but 60% is a big chunk to keep for themselves for doing nothing. Could've atleast done a 50/50 split.

Agreed. disappointing if its true that you cant just give it to whoever you want like clanmates etc for free if you like.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    not a bad idea no, but 60% is a big chunk to keep for themselves doing nothing. Could've atleast done a 50/50 split.
    There's alot of background stuff that goes with selling stuff on PSN I suppose. Also, keeping the content on their servers to be downloaded, you don't have to put any $$ up for any of the deal, they handle everything. You just sit back and collect your checks. So, looking at it like that, I suppose it's fair enough.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    There's alot of background stuff that goes with selling stuff on PSN I suppose. Also, keeping the content on their servers to be downloaded, you don't have to put any $$ up for any of the deal, they handle everything. You just sit back and collect your checks. So, looking at it like that, I suppose it's fair enough.
    They host 1 file and people download copies of it. Sony puts in no work, money or time into the contents creation. Pure Profits for them.

I guess you can argue 40% of something is better then Sony not hosting it and you gaing 100% of nothing, but 60% is still being greedy.

for comparison
    Google and Apple only keep 30% of app purchases.
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-30-2013 at 05:26.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    User-created content is and has always been great. And they are right about user-created levels being nothing really new. If you have noticed, it's always these PC games doing it as there is so much freedom on the platform and a mouse and keyboard are perfect for creating, and it has been going on from the past 20 years.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    They host 1 file and people download copies of it. Sony puts in no work, money or time into the contents creation. Pure Profits for them.

for comparison
    Google and Apple only keep 30% of app purchases.
    60% is just being greedy
    Yeah, but I'm not sure that comparison is in perspective. You are talking about full apps people create and have to go through different types of dealings with Apple and Google to get on there. They are full devs you are comparing these game modders to. That is nowhere near a fair comparison. Ofcourse they will get a higher percent. The Planetside 2 modders are using mod tools to add little items here and there to a game they didn't create, that they would usually be glad to just give out to the community for free. I'd still like them to have the ability to give it out free, but getting 40% of the profits on it isn't being robbed. It seems pretty fair actually if you choose to try and sell your user created items for the game.

Veteran
    I dont see it as being robbed. Your still getting paid. I do however still see it as being greedy getting a larger % for doing nothing.
    Last edited by faaeng; 07-30-2013 at 05:54.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I remember all those free user created maps on the PS3 version of UT3. That was pretty nice.

Forum Guru
    Spore and it's wide variety of schlongs is a proud monument of user generated content.
    In some other cases user generated content has been the reason for games existence and have made the game from good to brilliant.
    Last edited by jlippone; 07-30-2013 at 06:27.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    2GD came up with a similar idea, certainly last year, for an FPS he is creating. He said to allow maps to be made and the person creating the map would get part of the profit if ti is popular and goes into an official map pack.

http://youtu.be/sYTPMoOMKf0?t=1h27m30s
    Last edited by keefy; 07-30-2013 at 15:26.

Thread Information