Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

Looking for external HDD enclosures

I'm at the point where I need another external drive. A 3TB will last me like 2+ years easily but I was wondering if I can buy an enclosure that allows 2 or more drives so I can upgrade later than having to buy separate external drives every time.

So any recommendations?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I'm at the point where I need another external drive. A 3TB will last me like 2+ years easily but I was wondering if I can buy an enclosure that allows 2 or more drives so I can upgrade later than having to buy separate external drives every time.

So any recommendations?

Budget?

Something like this should work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817198057

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Treat yourself to a nice NAS box. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/icy-d...nclosure-black

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Budget isn't much of an issue. Thanks for the recommendations

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    NAS drive all the way I have one and its great as all my hardware can use it from PC, Laptop, PS3 and phones with drop box

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Budget isn't much of an issue. Thanks for the recommendations
    If budget isn't an issue, look into a drobo.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Those drobo sound really awesome.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    DROBO is a pain in the ass. You're better off learning how to do a proper RAID setup. I've had several nightmares happen already with mine and I just said screw it and did a manual RAID setup. I've been fine ever since.

As for enclosures, this company makes some nice ones: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

Ignore the web address. External drives work universally across all platforms... this company just specializes in Mac hardware.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I currently use a QNAP 419P II with 8TB in a RAID 5 configuration. So basically I have 6TB with distributed parity so if any 1 HDD fails I can replace it and still keep all of my data. Been using it for well over a year now and I'm running it as a file server, web hosting server, media server, and a few other things too. QNAP have perhaps the best software configuration tools for a NAS around to date by far and their NAS's are brilliant to boot, they're just a little pricey though but well worth it. I haven't even turned it off since purchase.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I currently use a QNAP 419P II with 8TB in a RAID 5 configuration. So basically I have 6TB with distributed parity so if any 1 HDD fails I can replace it and still keep all of my data. Been using it for well over a year now and I'm running it as a file server, web hosting server, media server, and a few other things too. QNAP have perhaps the best software configuration tools for a NAS around to date by far and their NAS's are brilliant to boot, they're just a little pricey though but well worth it. I haven't even turned it off since purchase.
    Just looked that up online. Looks pretty snazzy.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Thread Information