Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

No More Cheats or Jerks - Reputation on Xbox One...

I’m Micheal Dunn, program manager on Xbox Live. I’ve been working on the team for five years. I spend my days – and many nights – helping create technology that will help make Xbox Live an even more kick-ass multiplayer community. In addition to Smart Match technology,

which helps you find the perfect match and more control, we’ve been working hard on a community-powered reputation system that helps filter out people you don’t want to play with.

No question that Xbox Live is a distinct community of passionate gamers. We love that. But just like in life, there are all types of people – some shy, some polite, some aggressive, some snarky, some annoying and some that can’t avoid swearing at #$%^ happens to them. Most Xbox Live players are polite online and know how to socially adjust to people they’re playing with. But not everyone does this. And, it can be challenging to pick up on social cues when you are connected online and not face-to-face in the same room.

With the new community-powered reputation model for Xbox One, we want to help you avoid the players you don’t want to play with. If you don’t want to play with cheats or jerks, you shouldn’t have to. Our new reputation model helps expose people that aren’t fun to be around and creates real consequences for trouble-makers that harass our good players.

So, how are we doing this? We are simplifying the mechanism for Xbox One – moving from a survey option to more direct feedback, including things like “block” or “mute player” actions into the feedback model. The new model will take all of the feedback from a player’s online flow, put it in the system with a crazy algorithm we created and validated with an MSR PhD to make sure things are fair for everyone.

Ultimately, your reputation score will determine which category you are assigned – "Green = Good Player," "Yellow = Needs Improvement" or "Red = Avoid Me." Looking at someone’s gamer card you’ll be able to quickly see their reputation. And, your reputation score is ultimately up to you. The more hours you play online without being a jerk, the better your reputation will be; similar to the more hours you drive without an accident, the better your driving record and insurance rates will be. Most players will have good reputations and be seen as a “Good Player.” The algorithm is looking to identify players that are repeatedly disruptive on Xbox Live. We’ll identify those players with a lower reputation score and in the worse cases they will earn the “Avoid Me” reputation. Before a player ends up with the “Avoid Me” reputation level we will have sent many different alerts to the “Needs Improvement” player reminding them how their social gaming conduct is affecting lots of other gamers.

The algorithm is sophisticated and won’t penalize you for a few bad reports. Even good players might receive a few player feedback reports each month and that is OK. The algorithm weighs the data collected so if a dozen people suddenly reporting a single user, the system will look at a variety of factors before docking their reputation. We’ll verify if those people actually played in an online game with the person reported – if not, all of those player’s feedback won’t matter as much as a single person who spent 15 minutes playing with the reported person. The system also looks at the reputation of the person reporting and the alleged offender, frequency of reports from a single user and a number of other factors.

This system will continue to evolve and get better as we track the feedback we get from players and titles, plus add more consequences for the jerks. It also helps us match you with other gamers like you. Of course, the system will be as good as you make it, so all you need to do is report the players that are abusive, cheating or causing mayhem and their reputation will reflect that. Thank you for helping us continue to make Xbox Live a place we all love. Our team and I built this for all of you and we hope you like it!
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/07/games-reputation-feature

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    This is one thing that I do LOVE about the new Xbox One, the rep system, I hope Sony comes up with something similar...seems like a great way to weed out all the assholes of the online world!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Soldier 95B
    Great read. I do hope that accessing those features is quick and easy, and you don't have to get buried down in menus. Glad to see they are still tightly focused on gaming.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    This is one thing that I do LOVE about the new Xbox One, the rep system, I hope Sony comes up with something similar...seems like a great way to weed out all the assholes of the online world!
    They won't weed me out!

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Its all the assholes that usually troll and give people the bad rep!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    They won't weed me out!
    Lol! I was mainly referring the <15 year old punk ass kids that act like dipshits online, nothing worse than trying to enjoy a game with friends online to have it ruined by those little assholes!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Progress

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So it is just getting worse and worse... Still have $#@!ty achievements and now a Rep system... I am so passing now

I want a gaming console without all this bullocks... Hell with you MS, you have lost a customer
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Progress
    Indeed. I am glad they are improving the existing system.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Wonder how it'll work if you ain't a cheater or jerk some $#@!weed could just report you because they feel like you cheated but really they just suck ass.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So if some one is an asshole and get bad rep they will be put with the other assholes?
    Last edited by keefy; 07-31-2013 at 22:07.

Soldier 95B
    Maybe you guys should read the article? They cover that.

Supreme Veteran
    IT doesnt actually say if someone is placed with other jerks though.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Why can't a console be a goddamn console. Instead off all the crap
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Why can't a console be a goddamn console. Instead off all the crap
    Because gamers keep wanting more and more.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    What it's saying is that even if you are being "griefed" by other players giving you bad reps, the system/they will be looking into that to see if it's legit. But this falls under Match Making systems and as we all know, match making systems don't work 100%. I wouldn't be that excited about this feature and it certainly isn't a top feature for a new system.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I can't read could you type what it says please?

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Superior Member
    Hopefully it works as described. Parties of 5-6 could constantly give bad rep to someone who isn't doing anything wrong but just playing really well and then that person would end up with a bad "rep".
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

19. Likes Kuro likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    Hopefully it works as described. Parties of 5-6 could constantly give bad rep to someone who isn't doing anything wrong but just playing really well and then that person would end up with a bad "rep".
    The system should detect if those same 5 players keep giving players bad rep because nobody else gives those players they bad repped, bad rep.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Definitely would like to see harsher punishment for the $#@!s online. As it is, I really do feel like nothing is done when I give negative feedback. Hopefully it works better, sounds like a pretty good system.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The system should detect if those same 5 players keep giving players bad rep because nobody else gives those players they bad repped, bad rep.
    Maybe nobody else cares to use the system except those 5 players. Just playing devils advocate. I don't really care about a rep system since I just mute everyone when I play so they can't bother me.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Cool for everyone who really cares for such things. Though even I have to admit, I can only put up with so much from the pre-school douchers.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    If this works without any problems it could be good.

Currently on the Xbox 360 rep system I am 89% avoided. I never talk on my headset, I never send messages to anyone other than my friends list. The only thing I'm guilty of is kicking peoples ass on COD/FIFA/Madden and I guess they can't take it and avoid me for "unsporting" which has the majority of the percentage for why I am avoided.

So I hope this new system accounts for people who just like to hate on me and give me a bad rep for nothing. I reckon I got most of my hate from FIFA and Madden.

Veteran
    In due time most players will be flagged yellow anyways. I don't like this idea tho.

While I hate the griefers and online douchbags as much as the next guy, they paid for the system too. They paid for the games too. They pay for live too. They have every right to play with the rest of the community too. Even if they are assholes most of the time.
    Last edited by faaeng; 08-01-2013 at 06:19.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Yeah I can agree with that. Maybe they should just allow for filters. Rather than filter it for us without a choice?

I dunno maybe what I suggested can't be done but it's just an idea.

Like use the rep system to collect the data and from that data allow us to select filters on who we play with. Get what I mean? Or am I talking stupid talk lol

Thread Information