Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Turn 10 says Xbox One cloud offers 600% more AI capabilit

forza 5 is "the hardest thing turn 10 has ever done", xbox one cloud offers 600% more ai capability

"but it's exciting, we're having fun, but it's a huge challenge."

ask yourself this: What would you do with 600% more brainpower, funnelled to your skull from vast corporate servers? I suspect i'd devote my share to writing better article introductions. Speaking to oxm during our first look at forza motorsport 5, turn 10's studio manager alan hartman and creative director dan greenawalt have revealed a little of the stress and excitement that accompanies the development of a shiny-shiny launch racer.

"i've been in the business for quite a while i've been leading game teams for 20 years," hartman told us. "i've been here at turn 10 for eight. In that time i've figured out the simple secret to running successful teams is creating an environment, a culture, that is safe that is challenging that is a place that attracts the best talent in the world and lets them do their best work."that's not terribly unique," he admitted. "it is something i could do anywhere. So why do i do it here? Because it's first party. And first party is so challenging."as we reported yesterday, hartman and greenawalt say microsoft has never ordered them to make use of this or that platform feature - the developers were "asked" rather than "told" to show players what
    the console can do. Turn 10, however, feels that it has a responsibility to test xbox one's mettle, and forza 5 is thus a fearsomely comprehensive illustration of the new hardware's capabilities.
    hartman went onto highlight "the kind of tools and technology and processes, and business practices we have to put in place to enable all that. That continuous flow of content that is not only a massive amount of content but quality content.
    "we've kept the quality up, we've improved the quality year over year of that quantity, and we've kept the cadence. Because if you can't deliver when the platform needs you then it doesn't matter. We have to be there when they need us to showcase the platform."
    forza 5, in conclusion, is "a massive game, a quality game, an innovative game. At launch of the console. It's crazy hard. It's the hardest thing we've ever done. But it's exciting, we're having fun, but it's a huge challenge."turn 10 is particularly chuffed at being able to make use of xbox one's cloud computing support for its much-sung drivatar ai system, which trades out pre-scripted computer drivers for cloud-stored entities that learn from player behaviour. Greenawalt described the ability to offload such tasks to servers as a "tremendous opportunity".
    "when you've got a learning neural network, more computing power is nothing but helpful. Because what you're able to do is process a lot more information, and you don't have to do it in realtime on the box. And that frees up more of the box to be doing graphics or audio or other computational areas.
    "so we can now make our ai instead of just being 20%, 10% of the box's capability, we can make it 600% of the box's capability," he went on. "put it in the cloud and free up that 10% or 20% to make the graphics better - on a box that's already more powerful than we worked on before."
    i'll give you a few seconds to wash all the hyperbole out of your eyes. Done? Right. Here's another riddle: What kind of drivatar do you think you'll unleash upon the world? The below video may be of some help.
    http://www.oxm.co.uk/59493/forza-5-i...ai-capability/
    <font color="#555555"><span style="font-family: sans-serif">

Last edited by Sub-stance1; 08-01-2013 at 15:40.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    video is gone... gone.. gone....

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    video is gone... gone.. gone....
    oops...fixed now.

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I'll wait for gamers that played the game to decide about the 600% better.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    since a vast majority of driving game people drive like me, there are bound to be a lot of dirty races

6. Likes darky89 , Yungstar 2006 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    "so we can now make our ai instead of just being 20%, 10% of the box's capability, we can make it 600% of the box's capability," he went on. "put it in the cloud and free up that 10% or 20% to make the graphics better - on a box that's already more powerful than we worked on before."
    "Your game is going to take a graphics hit if you aren't playing connected online(using the cloud power)."

8. Likes PS4THEWIN, Justin , Lefein, JDizzleNO1 wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Dat infinite power of da cloud! :what:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran

A funny gif making the rounds on the interwebz.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

11. Likes Itachi , D3seeker, Mael Duin, Shibby , MonkeyClaw wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    "Your game is going to take a graphics hit if you aren't playing connected online(using the cloud power)."
    yep this is what i've been saying, you get a half assed game if you aren't connected to deh cloudz!!!

Superior Member
    The power of the cloud on acid

Forum Elder
    people will play Forza while not connected, really?

Forum Elder
    "we've kept the quality up, we've improved the quality year over year of that quantity, and we've kept the cadence. Because if you can't deliver when the platform needs you then it doesn't matter. We have to be there when they need us to showcase the platform."
    forza 5, in conclusion, is "a massive game, a quality game, an innovative game. At launch of the console. It's crazy hard. It's the hardest thing we've ever done. But it's exciting, we're having fun, but it's a huge challenge."turn 10 is particularly chuffed at being able to make use of xbox one's cloud computing support for its much-sung drivatar ai system, which trades out pre-scripted computer drivers for cloud-stored entities that learn from player behaviour. Greenawalt described the ability to offload such tasks to servers as a "tremendous opportunity".
    just a few short months before i find out....

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Comical that in here and on the web when cloud news hits, instantly the satire and snarky **** starts before people even admit that it could​ actually be cool.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    people will play Forza while not connected, really?
    and according to the comment I quoted, the graphics will take a hit for people playing offline.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Wait a minute! 600% =/= infinite? WTF...downgrade!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    yep this is what i've been saying, you get a half assed game if you aren't connected to deh cloudz!!!
    And you only get half a game at retail until you connect to deh cloudz and download the rest of it. lol

21. Likes JDizzleNO1 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    and according to the comment I quoted, the graphics will take a hit for people playing offline.

However, what sort of hit? we are already dealing with a new console generation that has crap tons more memory available... so by defacto it stands to be amazing.

Not aimed at you this part, but the internet in general - this quote is a prime example of where people cherry pick the **** they want to. One group of folks will look and say, this game will be amazing and with the extra cool stuff potentially offered by the cloud, I can't wait. Then there are people that instantly recoil and focus on the 10-20% comment, and nay say everything about the game before it can prove itself.

Both sides of the view are based on still and internet vids, along with PR blabber... so neither is right. I guess I just tend to be on the side that actually still gets excited about games being fun or cool to play, rather than "it has a texture pop in too much..."

Soldier 95B
    Didn't take long before this thread got ****ed hard in the ass without lube by the usual's. Thanks guys!

24. Likes Yungstar 2006 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    However, what sort of hit? we are already dealing with a new console generation that has crap tons more memory available... so by defacto it stands to be amazing.
    I know games are going to look good compared to this gen. I'm just going by his comment about graphics and the cloud. How much of a hit compared to connected gamers aren't exactly known but it's one there.

Not aimed at you this part, but the internet in general - this quote is a prime example of where people cherry pick the **** they want to. One group of folks will look and say, this game will be amazing and with the extra cool stuff potentially offered by the cloud, I can't wait. Then there are people that instantly recoil and focus on the 10-20% comment, and nay say everything about the game before it can prove itself.
    I don't think anything is wrong with picking apart an article if you aren't misquoting the information(on purpose). The 10-20% part is talking about graphics being boosted due to the cloud handling the A.I. It's a great thing for those that are connected and not so great for those not connected(You won't have max graphics and will have turn 10-based A.I.). Turn 10 are the ones making it sound like you are getting a **** version if you aren't connected to the clouds. So don't find fault in those that are piecing this together.

Both sides of the view are based on still and internet vids, along with PR blabber... so neither is right. I guess I just tend to be on the side that actually still gets excited about games being fun or cool to play, rather than "it has a texture pop in too much..."
    I'm a hybrid and I view games the same way. Also, I want to know about the technical issues so I can then decide rather it's too much of an issue for my taste in gaming.

Soldier 95B
    Turn 10 are the ones making it sound like you are getting a **** version if you aren't connected to the clouds. So don't find fault in those that are piecing this together.
    What I took from it was, that those NOT connected will not have the best AI algorithms. It sounded like they were able to give everyone the 20% improvement in graphics, and held back some AI coding on disk, and pushed additional AI features and improvements onto the server. So it sounds like that everyone that is NOT connected will still have your standard AI and drivatars like we had with Forza 4, but those connected will see infinite and forever changing AI/drivatar benefits. Which makes sense, because it is not static. And for those NOT connected 24x7, they can still connect on occasion to get some of the latest Drivatar/AI enhancements downloaded to their offline Xbox One.

So I see some very nice benefits to the entire always online scenario.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    It sounded like they were able to give everyone the 20% improvement in graphics
    The graphics boost comes from freeing up the AI code due to it running in the cloud. Everyone isn't getting this improvement according to the comment.

put it in the cloud and free up that 10% or 20% to make the graphics better

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Comical that in here and on the web when cloud news hits, instantly the satire and snarky **** starts before people even admit that it could​ actually be cool.
    I think there is a slim chance it could bring something amazing to the table, but personally it is all probably just a pipe dream, I don't see it revolutionizing anything. I would be doing the same thing if Sony announced the same cloud BS, has nothing to do with Microsoft, the only way cloud computing could revolutionize anything is if they somehow removed enough of the latency to the point that services like Gaikai and OnLive are quick and responsive like an actual physical console.

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Forum Elder
    so it's one of those glass is half full/empty things.
    you say off line gets a hit graphically, while i may say that online gets improved graphics.

difference being, off line (again, people will play this off line.. really?) will look fantastic, online will look more erm... fantastic. so a win win then.

30. Likes UkHardcore wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I just prefer the slim chance of something awesome over the scorn and ridicule route

Thread Information