Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Opinion: Price will be the key.

This is just an opinion piece but wondering people's opinions but I've looked at the specs, the features, the apps, the games and I've come to the conclusion that PRICE is going to be the driving factor between these two consoles. Honestly we know x1 has the cloud and xbox live and PS4 has slightly more power. Both consoles are releasing on equal footing at the same time, both consoles will have approximately the same games (sure there are first party exclusives but a majority of game sales are third party for each console maker), both will have roughly the same features, but one console is $100 cheaper! When your avg consumer (avg!! not your tech junkie gamer on these or other forums) goes to purchase a console they are going to see that when all things are equal (and these consoles really are to the avg joe public) a $100 difference is HUGE. How many times have we seen consumers opt for a a cheaper inferior product or say option as opposed to a better deal or bundle. Most consumers don't get it. They want the cheapest option that will give them an equal or as good gaming experience. Honestly we can fight until we are blue in the face about the specs and differences of these machines but there is really only 1 difference that matters to avg consumers....and that's the $100 difference....and that is BIG. Trust me....we've all seen that play out many many times. I absolutely believe that the driving force between these consoles now that we know are pretty much on equal gaming footing is that Sony has the price advantage....the one the 360 thoroughly enjoyed last gen...and I think we see the pendulum swing back to Sony this gen. X1 will be a solid machine...make many many very very happy and we will argue all gen about which is better...but imo...price will be the difference maker...and all these tech threads won't mean squat in how this whole thing turns out. It isn't COOL...or scientific...or specs....its price. What say you?
    Last edited by davin_g; 08-03-2013 at 22:01.

Veteran
    Well, it certainly was a factor for the first couple years of PS3, until they dropped the price. In fact, the first time PS3 took off in the US was when THIS happened http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PklMurhpYe0

Apprentice

No doubt price can play a factor but I can tell you this.

Today I was at a Hastings store, for those that don't have them it's a store that sells books, movie rentals/purchases, and games game/consoles. They are kind of on the high end in price but some people don't think about them when things get released so I go and look to see what can be found. Today I was sitting in Hastings reading a book and I overheard a job interview that an employee was giving a prostpective hire. They started chatting about video games and the potential prospect was a woman and she made the comment that she pre ordered the xbone. The interviewer started talking about the fact he pre ordered the ps4. Now what sucked was that there was music playing loudly in the background so I could not hear all of what he said about the ps4 and xbone. What I could hear however was the interviewer saying " ...but we don't tell the customers that because we want to make the sale." They were talking in terms of ps4 and xbox one...I hung around a bit longer and he began talking to another prospective employee this time a guy. He asked about the games and ps4 and xbox one and the guy in the interview said he didn't really play games so the interviewer started asking him what he thought about the tech with the xbox one. I know for a fact that I heard them discuss the fact that at first it will be sort of buggy with the motion sensor stuff. What I do not know is if there is something that employee knew since he worked in a retail setting and gets all the info on when the two systems will be coming out and such... But what bothers me is the fact he said something about not informing the customers of something...

Maybe it was noting..or maybe it was something. Either way some parents are going to get one of these for their kids. My guess will be that ps4 will sell out very quickly and some of the sales that xbox one gets will be due to lack of ps4's on the shelf due in part to the price/game preferences. I think the older gamers and adults already have their minds made up. After last Gen I kept an open mind and up until reveal was not sure if I would get one console or both. I am dead set on ps4 because I like options and its more powerful and it just seems overall to be the best machine for me. I am not interested in the xbox one at all despite the drm policy changes and other things. I can afford both consoles at the same time, but to me the xbox one is a waste of money. They would have to come out with a really great game for me to be even the slightest bit interested in it, and only then would I consider getting it after several years and price drops. But that all depends on my level of annoyance with the company. Not just the game but the graphics would have to show to be more superior because the tv crap is just that to me, crap.

But ps4 embodies for me what it's name means....Play station. my all in one source for entertainment. Movies, dvd/ and blu ray..games all in one nice location. I don't need it going into my tv or anything else. I have a computer and other forms if I choose but when I want to relax and be entertained it provides exactly what I need. And gives me the options and means to expand or stay where I like. That is number one for me. IF the price was switched and the ps4 was 499 and the xbox one was 399 I would still buy the ps4 over the xbox one. Some people may get the xbox one and discover that they don't like it all that much trade it in to get a ps4 especially since the multiplayer will be pay to play and will no doubt get better and better, on top of that you get PS+ and free games to go along with that. What's not to love about that?

Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    This is just an opinion piece but wondering people's opinions but I've looked at the specs, the features, the apps, the games and I've come to the conclusion that PRICE is going to be the driving factor between these two consoles. Honestly we know x1 has the cloud and xbox live and PS4 has slightly more power. Both consoles are releasing on equal footing at the same time, both consoles will have approximately the same games (sure there are first party exclusives but a majority of game sales are third party for each console maker), both will have roughly the same features, but one console is $100 cheaper! When your avg consumer (avg!! not your tech junkie gamer on these or other forums) goes to purchase a console they are going to see that when all things are equal (and these consoles really are to the avg joe public) a $100 difference is HUGE. How many times have we seen consumers opt for a a cheaper inferior product or say option as opposed to a better deal or bundle. Most consumers don't get it. They want the cheapest option that will give them an equal or as good gaming experience. Honestly we can fight until we are blue in the face about the specs and differences of these machines but there is really only 1 difference that matters to avg consumers....and that's the $100 difference....and that is BIG. Trust me....we've all seen that play out many many times. I absolutely believe that the driving force between these consoles now that we know are pretty much on equal gaming footing is that Sony has the price advantage....the one the 360 thoroughly enjoyed last gen...and I think we see the pendulum swing back to Sony this gen. X1 will be a solid machine...make many many very very happy and we will argue all gen about which is better...but imo...price will be the difference maker...and all these tech threads won't mean squat in how this whole thing turns out. It isn't COOL...or scientific...or specs....its price. What say you?

Veteran
    It $#@!ed the Playstation 3 up for a long time...I predict the same fate for the Xbox One! God knows what MS were thinking.
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Apprentice

PSN ID
    imINXile
    Definately price is a major factor. Cash is king, especially around the holidays. I over payed for the ps3 at launch and expect to do the same this time around. The early adopters of the consoles I feel don't care about the price...going to purchase either way. It'll be interesting to see the holiday sales. The cost will matter to some, I'm just not one.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Price will certainly play a part especially at xmas time. But at launch it will be the hardcore gamers buying these consoles and the hardcore xbox gamer will buy the X1 and the hardcore Playstation gamers will buy the PS4. When the launch rush is over price will be a larger factor amongst the non brand loyal gamer since all the big 3rd party games will be on both consoles.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-04-2013 at 01:14.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Just look at what the ps3 was able to do against the 360 when it didn't hold any advantages. The ps4 now holds the advantages. Price is definitely going to play a huge role once these first few shipments are out the way.
    Code:
    YR on market         360                  PS3

Year 1               5.0      -      -    3.5      

Year 2               6.6      -      -    9.1      

Year 3               8.7      -      -   10.1      

Year 4              11.2      -      -   13.0     

Year 5              10.3      -      -   14.3

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    The rumor is that MS is going to drop the price after the new year to match the PS4's price, and once they've made all the money off the hardcore gamers who are willing to pay $500 they will lower it so the average consumer won't have the choice of one that's a hundred dollars cheaper.

Forum Overseer
    Price is definitely key. then again we have seen Nintendo sell a low powered console to the general public for way more than its worth but that's not normal.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Price is definitely key. then again we have seen Nintendo sell a low powered console to the general public for way more than its worth but that's not normal.
    And it's not working for them this time. Have you seen their recent figures? 160k in 3 months...Worldwide

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Forum Overseer
    Wii was definitely an outlier because they had struck gold with their marketing, mini-game craze and the flashy new controller.

i called it way before that those non-gamers will not move to the next console. they already have what they need.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    I think we all know price is going to be a factor, but the question is to what extent. Some consumers might find value in what the Xbone offers and some might think it is too much to pay for. Some might see the Kinect as an invasion of privacy and some might see it a an extra on the price. Who knows what today consumer may decide. I know that one thing that drew me closer to the PS4 was the options to include what I wanted and how I wanted it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Price + content wins. /end

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Indeed. Both will have a strong amount of content. MS has shown it has some key games in their arsenal that ALWAYS perform well and we all know Sony pumps out content (sometimes mediocre though). To me there won't be a lot of differences between the two. After the launch window when hardcores and early adopters purchase I think if MS doesn't do something to even the playing field with Sony on this front they will start to lose market share big time. They would essentially have to go out and pay through the nose to acquire game exclusivity in order to sway people. So why I wonder does everyone get all pissy around here going in threads for days about the specs when we all know to the avg consumer..price trumps that. Perhaps MS can do what Sony did and manage to pull even with a higher price like last gen but to me I think Sony's doing so was purely on brand recognition and loyalty and their greater distribution channels in a worldwide market than anything...so MS may have an uphill battle because all those things Sony still holds as advantages IMO.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    well now Wii didn't necessarily have more content.

so while you're right, i think we need to add a category of "New exciting/easier way to play" in there somehwere.

Forum Sage
    We can't look at the past and predict the future with absolute certainty. I think things are a bit different now and price may not be as big of a factor now as it was back then....and if either company is able to sell the value of their system the price will hardly be the obstacle that will stop people from purchasing.

@twodamoney - You are relying a little too much on the past. Xbox is a bit more established as a brand now than it was before. We don't really know what is going to happen come release day (of both consoles.)
    Last edited by sainraja; 08-04-2013 at 20:22.

Soldier 95B
    I believe the most important factor will be the games, followed by price.

Ultimate Veteran
    It's not just the price, it's the fact that it is a better gaming machine and no peripheral is getting rammed down your throat day 1.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Basically.
    Two similar-speced devices made by two reputable companies with a similar set of services, and most AAA games being multiplat. The only big differential factor, the price. Which is the reason people will initially prefer the PS4.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    well now Wii didn't necessarily have more content.

so while you're right, i think we need to add a category of "New exciting/easier way to play" in there somehwere.
    Well the (original) Wii definitely had the price advantage out of the three, and it sold more.

But you know, F34R is right, the content and price both are at the same higher level. If the console is cheap but doesn't have a lot of games (Ouya), it will be a flash in the pan. Catch 22.

Master Guru
    Price will always be important to consumers but at the end of the day it's all about the games. Whichever console has the killer games will win.

Dedicated Member
    TBH..I would still have bought the PS4 if the price points were the other way around.
    PSN = prison_inmate

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol yup, would have been in line if it was 600 again

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Veteran
    Price is always the key.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yep Sony was hurt by price with PS3 now they are on the other side of the argument.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Thread Information