Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    Price is always the key.
    Took the words out my fingers lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Price didn't stop the PS3!

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    It certainly didn't help it either. IIRC the PS3 didn't really take off until a price drop though, did it? I don't know for definite though, i've never been interested in console sale numbers.

OP: I agree. Whilst I was leaning towards picking up a PS4 first any way the price completely sealed the deal. Had it have been around the same price level as the XBone then chances are I wouldn't have got it on launch as spending that much money for something i'll only play one game on seemed a bit steep.

Sony nailed the price though. Perfect price point.

Forum Overseer
    that's because Sony was able to outweigh the disadvantages.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    Price is important to me. Its why I got a 360 before ps3. Depends if kinect is worth the extra 80, which its not.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    At first it did. They had to drop the price to 500 for the 60gb version within the first 6 months I believe. I didn't buy one until that happened and many took this approach because it was Sony's worst console launch. After the price drop the PS3 started to thrive and has been since. PS4 is in a much better position, not to mention Sony isn't taking the arrogant approach they did with the PS3. They are trying to sell it, not telling you to get a second job to get it lol.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    it's not important when it stopped the PS3 overall because it has stopped the PS3 all its lifetime. it still stops the PS3 from selling well.

now imagine if the PS3 was sold at $399 then $299 in 2008, then $199 in 2010 and now $129.

yes, we would see a few more dozen million sales.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ANDY View Post
    Price is important to me. Its why I got a 360 before ps3. Depends if kinect is worth the extra 80, which its not.
    Plus the fact that the 360 came out a year before the PS3. lol

Ultimate Veteran
    yup sony has the price in there court. they can allways go lower then ms

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    it's not important when it stopped the PS3 overall because it has stopped the PS3 all its lifetime. it still stops the PS3 from selling well.

now imagine if the PS3 was sold at $399 then $299 in 2008, then $199 in 2010 and now $129.

yes, we would see a few more dozen million sales.
    When you look at it that way, makes sense but they have done very well considering the up hill battle they created for themselves. Probably would have been a different story that it is now with them both neck and neck.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    exactly. it's the effort they put in is what has kept them neck-to-neck. considering they have been outselling the 360 for the most part.

if you guys remember, Sony had the edge in pricing back in the PS2/Xbox era. MS would follow Sony with the price cuts. It wasn't even that this time around...Sony just can't keep up with MS. It's that damn blu-ray.

i'd be surprised if the PS3 ever came down to $129.

if it weren't for the blu-ray, PS3 would've been somewhere closer to the cheapest 360 SKU...with more value and games.

how would that not take off insanely?
    Last edited by Omar; 08-05-2013 at 17:44.

Apprentice

Yes the ps3 slightly missed sales due in part to price. But you also had to look at what you were getting. Back then Blu ray was new tech and when blu ray players first came out they were alot higher in price as well except with the ps3 you got a blu ray/dvd/cd player AND a video game console all in one. Plus the ps3 had new tech that some developers did not want to spend the time to get to know.

Fast forward to now. The xbone offers what? A TV add on? Mandatory kinect? What is the incentive to the high price? Sure NOW the xbox one finally adopts blu ray tech, but blu ray has been out for years now and has lowered in price vs when Sony came out with it while it was still new. I really think that some kids are going to go with what their friends want to get but I think some parents are going to step in and go for the lower price. Plus If you want motion sencor stuff with the ps4, you have that option and it still comes out cheaper than xone. I think MS might be in for a surprise that they don't sell quite as many as they think, but if they sell out It will have to be due to them not being able to ship out that many units. The older gamers are going to go for the console they choose for different reasons. Those being Games, Price, brand loyalty, ect, ect. But the family aspect of it may go soley for price. The ps4 has so many selling points from many different angles compared to the xone. Price, choice, games, options, ps plus incentives, PS plus price, more power, exclusives, and im sure the list can go on.

Xone now has blu ray, tv add on features, mandatory kinect (if being told you HAVE to have something is a selling point) exclusivity of the standard Halo at some point, im sure a gears of war will come out, and killer instinct, and Dead rising 3.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    exactly. it's the effort they put in is what has kept them neck-to-neck. considering they have been outselling the 360 for the most part.

if you guys remember, Sony had the edge in pricing back in the PS2/Xbox era. MS would follow Sony with the price cuts. It wasn't even that this time around...Sony just can't keep up with MS. It's that damn blu-ray.

i'd be surprised if the PS3 ever came down to $129.

if it weren't for the blu-ray, PS3 would've been somewhere closer to the cheapest 360 SKU...with more value and games.

how would that not take off insanely?
    Actually I think producing the cell chips and all the other proprietary stuff they have in there that keeps it expensive. Blu ray diodes at first held the price up but I think now it would be the other hardware. I mean the blu ray can't be more than $20 or $30 I imagine. PS3 will see a huge price drop in the coming year. How can you have such a huge difference in hardware and only $100 in price between the ps3 and ps4. PS3 will get a boost and continue to chug along like the PS2 did....they will continue to push it into new markets much like the PS2 did and we will still see millions more sell...Sony has an enormous distribution channel.

While I agree games are a big difference maker I simply don't think either company is going to be able to really 1up the other. For every Halo there will be an Uncharted and every GEOW there will be a GOW...and forza and gran turismo and so on. 3rd parties will be similar on both consoles...and thus the PRICE will be a huge deciding factor for those "unlike this forum" that don't have preference...or parents looking to purchase...and this I believe is where the PS4 will take a big lead. Also with the tech they are going to be able to bring price down fairly easier over time because there isn't a lot in there that will not get cheaper over time like with the PS3's special tech. I also see it more difficult for MS to follow this if they insist on keeping the Kinect in there because that tech won't get a ton cheaper over time to continue to build. MS has some advantages...they have the kinect and some features but I don't think its enough to offset the price difference. I've just seen soooo many threads getting all worked up over the TECH...and I feel everyone has missed the big difference....the PRICE. Because most gamers aren't on forums and don't care how many flops one can do over the other. If the games come out looking similar and the features are similar...they are going to decide by price....and what their friends have....and with Sony releasing side by side....MS won't have both those advantages this gen....they won't have the cheaper console nor the head start in sales....where kids are like I want to play with all my friends...they all have 360's already so thats what I will get....now we have the PS4 a cheaper option being offered at the sametime....xbone will still sell...but I can't see this gen repeating....I think you will see a gap between Sony and MS start to open up. IMO.

14. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Jesus Christ. I will read this after work but i see what you mean by the Cell production, primarily because it never took off.

Forum Sage
    Pricing is everything.

It matters most to the minimum wage earner.
    tfw you want to use signatures you made that are saved in DA but this place still have a signature size limitations after all these years
    lol

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Even if the PS4 cost $1,000 most of us would still buy it of we saw value in it... I remember saying to myself if the PS4 costs anymore than $699 AUD I'm not buying it for a while when they announced it at $550 AUD I was like yay that's awesome !! Pretty cheap for a next gen system the Wii U is $428 here in AUS lol Nintendo are friggin idiots, for a $122 more people can buy a PS4 lol that's why Nintendo arent doing so good, the XbOx One is only $50 more in Australia so competition here will be fairly close.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Somehow I feel Microsoft will drop the price to 399$ before launch

Forum Overseer
    well, nintendo's done something similar when Vita was being launched so i can see it but still would be shocking and a rare thing.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Price will indeed be a factor for those people that don't buy a lot of games, 100 bucks means a few extra games for them.

But for those of us that do buy a lot of games, i don't think price will be a deciding factor, since we already spend so much money on our consoles.

What made me order the PS4 over the xbox one is the following:

- Bad experience with MS customer service regarding xbox one RROD, i have lost 2 360's to it, and i got one back with a new problem which they refused to fix.

- For some reason i find Sony to be more honest with their customers and they appear more genuine.

- In my opinion Sony make better first party titles and have better exclusives in general, although i am not very impressed with Sony's release date lineup, i know i will see many awesome exclusives in the next 5 years.

That's basically my reasons for picking one over the other, the fact that the PS4 is better hardware wise has not really been a part of my reason to pick them.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    @twodamoney - You are relying a little too much on the past. Xbox is a bit more established as a brand now than it was before. We don't really know what is going to happen come release day (of both consoles.)
    Of course we don't have hard data on preorders.

And MS's brand is nowhere near the strength of Sony's after coming from the success of the ps1 and ps2. Sony slaughtered the competition. Look what happened with the ps3 when Sony thought they could price the console outside of the consumer friendly price range and just ride off the success of their brand built with the ps1/ps2. When compared to the ps2, the ps3 sales have suffered greatly. Keep in mind, Sony slaughtered with the ps1/ps2. The 360, with having most of the advantages, is tied with the ps3. The ps4 wipes away all those advantages MS held with the 360.

So yea, I'll stick with my current view of how I think things will play out. No one has presented an argument that has made me look at it a different way.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 08-10-2013 at 23:32.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Of course we don't have hard data on preorders. And MS's brand is nowhere near the strength of Sony's after coming from the success of the ps1 and ps2. Sony slaughtered the competition. Look what happened with the ps3 when Sony thought they could price the console outside of the consumer friendly price range and just ride off the success of their brand built with the ps1/ps2. When compared to the ps2, the ps3 sales have suffered greatly. Keep in mind, Sony slaughtered with the ps1/ps2. The 360, with having most of the advantages, is tied with the ps3. The ps4 wipes away all those advantages MS held with the 360. So yea, I'll stick with my current view of how I think things will play out. No one has presented an argument that has made me look at it a different way.
    Good points. And Sony broke console sales records in the US market with PS2 http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...-sales-record/ and still caught up to 360 this gen despite their early mistakes with the PS3. I'm not claiming we'll see PS2 dominance or anything like that but I can easily see Sony gaining a decent lead next gen and possibly even regain the US market. Its certainly not outside the realm of possibility.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-11-2013 at 00:03.

Forum Sage
    Of course we don't have hard data on preorders.

And MS's brand is nowhere near the strength of Sony's after coming from the success of the ps1 and ps2. Sony slaughtered the competition. Look what happened with the ps3 when Sony thought they could price the console outside of the consumer friendly price range and just ride off the success of their brand built with the ps1/ps2. When compared to the ps2, the ps3 sales have suffered greatly. Keep in mind, Sony slaughtered with the ps1/ps2. The 360, with having most of the advantages, is tied with the ps3. The ps4 wipes away all those advantages MS held with the 360.

So yea, I'll stick with my current view of how I think things will play out. No one has presented an argument that has made me look at it a different way.
    I wasn't trying to change your view on it. I was simply saying that you can't discount the Xbox brand anymore. Xbox is an established brand now. You're choosing to ignore this.

It's not going to be as clear cut as you think. So don't be surprised if your prediction is off.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I wasn't trying to change your view on it. I was simply saying that you can't discount the Xbox brand anymore. Xbox is an established brand now. You're choosing to ignore this.

It's not going to be as clear cut as you think. So don't be surprised if your prediction is off.
    I know that their brand is stronger than before. They did go from 26m units with the xbox to nearly 80m with the 360. What I said is that their brand isn't as strong as Sony's when coming from the ps1/ps2 era. I used Sony's previous dominance as an example, compared it to the ps3, and painted a perfect picture that shows why the strength of brand isn't going to be as big of a factor that you are telling me it will be. If brand mattered that much then the ps3 would be over a 100m units right now. Sure, you'll have your diehards fanboys that will buy the console no matter what. Those guys stuck on brand, as proven with the current gen, are small compared to the rest of the gaming market. Look at nintendo at the moment. They came in last place with the gamecube. Then 1st place with the Wii. Now look at the struggling sales of the WiiU. Brand only gets you so far. You say I'm ignoring it. I say you are making it out to be this huge factor when it's clearly not. Prove to me why brand is going to be a huge factor. How is MS's brand going to make launching in the same month a non-issue? How is MS's brand going to make the price difference(the most important advantage for the ps4) a non-issue?

I won't be surprised. I'm just discussing the topic and why I view the situation the way that I do. I'll have my games regardless of the sales figures.

Edit:When mistercrow stated that he doesn't think we'll see a ps2 dominance, I agree. I don't think a ps4 lead would be that big. I just can't imagine how the xbone will outsell the ps4 given that all the advantages MS held with the 360 not being enough to keep sales ahead of the ps3. Now they have been put on even ground or just straight up lost a previous held advantage to Sony.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 08-11-2013 at 01:15.

25. Likes mistercrow, Christopher likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Price will definately play a factor but sales are not a big factor for me other than the effect it can have on multiplats. We have seen it this gen early on where the 360 got preference over the ps3. Now I know part of that was complicated/ exotic architecture of the ps3, but a lot of it was because of install base. If both ps4 and xb1 are close in install base then maybe we won't see the type of parity that we saw this gen. Then again, both have the same architecture so there probably won't be much of an issue either way. All gamers will be happy in the end.

27. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Sage
    I know that their brand is stronger than before. They did go from 26m units with the xbox to nearly 80m with the 360. What I said is that their brand isn't as strong as Sony's when coming from the ps1/ps2 era. I used Sony's previous dominance as an example, compared it to the ps3, and painted a perfect picture that shows why the strength of brand isn't going to be as big of a factor that you are telling me it will be. If brand mattered that much then the ps3 would be over a 100m units right now. Sure, you'll have your diehards fanboys that will buy the console no matter what. Those guys stuck on brand, as proven with the current gen, are small compared to the rest of the gaming market. Look at nintendo at the moment. They came in last place with the gamecube. Then 1st place with the Wii. Now look at the struggling sales of the WiiU. Brand only gets you so far. You say I'm ignoring it. I say you are making it out to be this huge factor when it's clearly not. Prove to me why brand is going to be a huge factor. How is MS's brand going to make launching in the same month a non-issue? How is MS's brand going to make the price difference(the most important advantage for the ps4) a non-issue?

I won't be surprised. I'm just discussing the topic and why I view the situation the way that I do. I'll have my games regardless of the sales figures.

Edit:When mistercrow stated that he doesn't think we'll see a ps2 dominance, I agree. I don't think a ps4 lead would be that big. I just can't imagine how the xbone will outsell the ps4 given that all the advantages MS held with the 360 not being enough to keep sales ahead of the ps3. Now they have been put on even ground or just straight up lost a previous held advantage to Sony.
    I actually thought I was the one telling you that brand won't play a big factor. I'm surprised that you think I'm saying that.

My whole point was that things are different now. Xbox isn't some new brand and brand power didn't help Sony greatly the past gen.

From you posts, it sounded very much like that you were relying on brand power and history to say that PlayStation will come out on top. I was trying to say the opposite that you can't discount the Xbox brand because it's not "new" anymore. It is pretty established.

Regardless, what worked for Microsoft in the past (the advantages you are crediting them with) does not mean it will necessarily work for Sony this generation.

$499.99 isn't the new $599.99.

EDIT

On re-reading your post it seems that I did misunderstand the point you were trying to make.
    Last edited by sainraja; 08-11-2013 at 05:32.

Thread Information