Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: (Take a minute to think about it) What's your MAIN motivation in buying a HD remake?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nostalgia - Really liked the game in the past, no longer have it, wanted to play it again.

9 47.37%
  • No Backwards Compatibility - didn't finish and can't play original software, it's the only way.

7 36.84%
  • New Feature - The new version has extra levels or a game mode the original lacked, extra value.

0 0%
  • Better Graphics - old game looks horrible on HDTV, new version has significant visual enhancements

2 10.53%
  • Trophy Support - I just wanted the trophies.

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Elite Guru

HD Remakes, Why do you personally buy them?

It's become a trend these days to release new versions of old games. Often they'll be generally games that have no obvious differences (no enhancements other than a higher resolution so that it looks better on a High Def TV), Other times it's a complete remake of a game from generations ago (New graphics, textures remastered elements maybe even music and voice added). With the lost of Backwards Compatibility in the PS3 and soon the complete absence of it in the PS4 (not to mention the advancing age of our old original consoles that we may have kept for the sake of playing the original software), it's going to become more common to see games that you bought once before being offered to you again to be bought a second time, and lets face it, some of us are going to do it for one reason or another otherwise they wouldn't keep reselling them to us (so this poll won't include the "I don't buy them" choice because I'm really only asking those who do).

So the poll (which I hope to include, it's been a while since I've done this) asks the question to those of you who do actually do, to think about it very carefully and tell us what is your main motivation; why do you personally buy HD remakes?

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I either buy HD remakes cause there PS2 games I never got around to playing (Ico Collection, Sly Collection), or I just love the games and figure why not. (Prince of Persia, upcoming Final Fantasy X, etc.)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    nostalgic reason and also the fact that I have a slim PS3!

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    3 reasons:

1. I prefer an all in one system, if I can't have BC then this is the next best thing, I want to finally pack up my PS2.
    2. Having them digitally means I can free up shelf space, I have far too many games and I don't sell/trade them.
    3. They preform much better and look nicer, even the PS2 classics seem to have better frame rates on PS3.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Tbh I just wanna trophy $#@! them
    Nah I just want it on one console. S'all

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    If I ever did, it would be because I never got to play the game in first place and it would look good.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Don't have my PS2 and PS1 hooked up to my TV anymore and don't want to..also they look better on the HDTV.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Nostalgia HD improvements and Trophys are a bonus.
    Playing - Tales of Vesperia (secret missions),Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Awaiting - Tales of Xillia 2, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Its dead even start between nostalgia, graphics and trophies!
    Last edited by K2D; 08-04-2013 at 23:56.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Extreme Poster
    there should be an option that says "all of the above".

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Just about to say this
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid

HD Remakes, Why do you personally buy them?

None of the above.

I bought God of War HD because I have never played them before.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I chose not to add an "all of the above" for similar reasons to why I didn't add "none of the above" I was hoping to get a more pinpoint motivation. As if to say if there was one single reason that eclipsed all others for why you would by it, what would that be? That's why I said to think hard about it.

Super Elite
    Because I let my childhood memories eclipse my good judgment and thus spend moolah on $#@! I ain't even going to play. Jak and Daxter I will always love you. Sly you're pretty cool, too.

Veteran
    I'm pretty sure it's mostly lack of BC on a grand scale. I mean, trophies are nice and they soften the blow, but they were created to give the companies more money in reselling things... Look at how many times FF1 has come out. There's money to be made in rereleases.

Veteran
    I buy them because I enjoy playing them. Plus I don't have a ps3 that has backwards comparability so it's the only way to play some of the older games that I like.

PS can't wait for final fantasy X

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    The only HD remake I have is Halo Anniversary, that's because I had fond memories of Halo 1 at a friends place and didn't own the original version. Now I do so it seems kind of redundant.

But the ability to swap instantly, in game, between old and new graphics is quite awesome.

I'll be picking up the Kingdom Hearts HD collection for nostalgia/ I haven't played it in ages / I want to support the franchise.

But honestly those are the only 2 HD remasters/releases I'm interested in. Mainly because I don't mind playing the older versions of something. if they released more on the Vita I'd bite... because I prefer portable gaming

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    But the ability to swap instantly, in game, between old and new graphics is quite awesome.
    Yeah the Monkey Island games had that, you just press select and it goes back to classic instantly you don't need to pause the game or anything.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Not having backwards compatibility is at the top of my list. Then trophies and the fact that the textures are a lot better looking. But some games are amazing with the HD make over, like MGS3 and Silent Hill 2 from Konami. Silent Hill 2 is scary as $#@! in HD. I had to turn on the mute several times and stop playing for hours because I was $#@!ting bricks.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Not having backwards compatibility is at the top of my list. Then trophies and the fact that the textures are a lot better looking. But some games are amazing with the HD make over, like MGS3 and Silent Hill 2 from Konami. Silent Hill 2 is scary as $#@! in HD. I had to turn on the mute several times and stop playing for hours because I was $#@!ting bricks.
    This post just made me LOL! at the last part.

I'm with ya though on that plus PS2 broke so in my mind why buy another when I can get HD collections. Having a blast replaying Jak and Daxter in HD. Next HD collection on my List is GOW(never played the first one) and then Ratchet and Clank.

PSU Live Streamer
    I bought the HD version of GoW 1+2 hoping for a larger graphical improvement than I got. Haven't bought an HD remake since.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I bought the HD version of GoW 1+2 hoping for a larger graphical improvement than I got. Haven't bought an HD remake since.
    The only true HD remakes out there far as I know FFX and FFX-2 hopefully they come out soon tired of waiting, and really don't care for X-2, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD and there was one more well Wipeout HD might as well.

You know what this is Wipeout HD's fault it just dawned on me they were quite possibly the first successful HD remake of a game way back in 08. Am I right?

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    The only true HD remakes out there far as I know FFX and FFX-2 hopefully they come out soon tired of waiting, and really don't care for X-2, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD and there was one more well Wipeout HD might as well.

You know what this is Wipeout HD's fault it just dawned on me they were quite possibly the first successful HD remake of a game way back in 08. Am I right?
    It depends, HD remakes can be anything that displays in high resolution. Most of the games arent getting new textures unless they're being remade from like the PSone days. Generally they'll rescan the old textures in higher res and every so often they might rebuild a character from scratch with new textures (I think that's the case with FF10, 10-2 and KH1.5HD) but they're all still technically HD. Every so often you'll see a bad interpretation of the process like apparently Hitman collection and Devil May Cry Collection and other times you'll get upgrades that barely seem to register like the ZOE HD collection.

PSN ID
    Repliica
    Nostalgia for the most part.
    I will usually buy HD releases if I've missed out on the game in my earlier days as well. Close second would probably be the graphics and trophies. It's what I'm looking forward to most when FF-X releases, seeing that beautiful dance scene with Yuna in HD. That game was absolutely stunning when it came to environments and I can't wait to play it.
    youtube . psninfo . instagram

"We live to make the impossible possible! That is our focus!" - Lightning FF XIII

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Nostalgia - Really liked the game in the past, no longer have it, wanted to play it again
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information