Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Did you like it or not? Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Been a while since I've done one of these, and seeing as this is a long weekend in Canada and a buddy of mine at work who keeps making fun of me for my backlog of ps3 games challenged me to complete 4 games this weekend...Challenge accepted.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. With game mechanics that are the love child of Uncharted and God of War, sound like a match made in heaven right?

Well this game pisses me off!
    Its presentation, characters, story, voice acting, humor, soundtrack (love the soundtrack) environments are all so great that this game could have been so much more. But it's terrible controls, repetitive texture pop-ins, annoyingly repetitive game play and incredibly frustrating combat hold this game back from being a trophy title on my shelf, and instead becomes the game I wish I played years ago so it would have been worth more to trade in.

And the ending to this game is so ambiguous it leaves my mind blown when the credits suddenly start rolling. That wasn't an ending to a game. That was an ending to a chapter....yet there were no more chapters....gah. So upset. Thats right kids, its not all lollipops and candy canes over in Shepard Land.

So my question to you all is, Did you like it or not?

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Well............................................Ne ver played it, but not going to lie sense a lot of anger in this post might scare away a few people lol.

PSU Live Streamer
    Hey yea. I duno. The game suffers from being so good and so bad at the sametime. It's like they took their masterpiece painting and let their kid scribble on it before hanging it on the wall.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

ruining dreams since 2005

i've always wanted to pick it up and play it, but i know how its going to play; everything will be very stiff. so yea, not gone near it unfortunately.

i heard its a pretty decent game nonetheless.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Hey yea. I duno. The game suffers from being so good and so bad at the sametime. It's like they took their masterpiece painting and let their kid scribble on it before hanging it on the wall.
    I guess, but then again I'm not going in expecting this game to be Uncharted 2 or even TLOU so my expectations for the game will be based on if it's just good or not.

But like I said never played it, and I thought it had some DLC with that continued the story.

Super Elite
    Ninja theory only did one game well it was short i'll say heavenly sword.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    On that one right now. Trying to beat last boss. Freakin ridiculous. Was going to make a 'did you like it or not' for heavenly sword, ,but I think It'll just turn into a rage post.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    DmC was a great action title.

I've always wanted to play it, but so far I obviously haven't.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    They gave up HS way too quickly. They could have improved on it like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted and create an awesome trilogy. Sigh...oh well.

Havent tried Enslaved yet. Hate games with crappy controls so will probably skip it.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    They gave up HS way too quickly. They could have improved on it like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted and create an awesome trilogy. Sigh...oh well.

Havent tried Enslaved yet. Hate games with crappy controls so will probably skip it.
    Well they didn't make any money from it and Sony owns the IP.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    DmC was a great action title.

I've always wanted to play it, but so far I obviously haven't.

Played that game loved it at least on PC is the only platform I can speak for.

As for Heavenly Sword heard nothing, but good things about that game, and there were rumors of a sequel for awhile don't know if they were true or not, but one day I need to check that game out.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    Played that game loved it at least on PC is the only platform I can speak for.

As for Heavenly Sword heard nothing, but good things about that game, and there were rumors of a sequel for awhile don't know if they were true or not, but one day I need to check that game out.
    HS has been a pretty good game. There are a few too many six axis controlled events in it, and the quick time events are punishing. The story behind the sword is actually pretty badass though. I'm just currently stuck on the final boss at the moment and after a full day of playing Enslaved and then transitioning straight into HS....think I needed a break lol. Today is a new day, time to finish HS.

edit:
    Ok, just finished HS. What a frustrating boss battle, timing is everything. Once I realized I could send his projectiles back at him it gave me a fighting chance. Epic boss fight regardless of my challenges with it. The whole heaven vs hell motif that was displayed throughout it was badass. Swinging your sword and watching as the mortal men around you were tossed into the air like ragdolls....very cool.

Alright thats 2 Ninja Theory games down back to back....never doing that again lol.
    Last edited by shepard; 08-05-2013 at 17:17.

Veteran
    Got about half way through and gave up...bored me to death.
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Well they didn't make any money from it and Sony owns the IP.
    True, but I think that had more to do with floundering PS3 sales at the time.

Edit: But good point. Sony could have given the IP to another dev as well. So some fault lies with Sony.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Can't tell, never played it, but it looks interesting!

Follow me on Twitter: @DaanvMonsjou

Super Elite
    For me, this game achieves a whole better than the sum of its parts; it's one of my favorite games from this gen.

Why? Can't say. But I usually sell games after a few or so play-throughs, and I've probably beat Enslaved at least five times. I'm sure I'll play it again in the future.

I really enjoy everything you mention, but unlike most others I also enjoy the controls--especially the melee combat. I love how the camera jumps with each swing, and how powerful each thump over the mechs feels. I especially love Monkey's super-attack.

So, yeah. I agree with all the criticisms leveled at it. But none of those stop it from being one of my personal favorites from this gen.

EDIT: In regards to the ending, I believe NT said they wanted to develop a sequel.

As an ending in itself, however, I think it was well done. SPOILERS AHEAD MOTHER $#@!ER GOD DAMN DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR MIND TO GO KAPLOW (EDIT: AND PERHAPS SOME LAST OF US SPOILERS AS WELL)---But as an ending unto itself I think it's one of the better ones of this generation. "Did we do the right thing?" That's up to you, as witness to the story, to decide. It's one of those "Security at the cost of freedom or freedom at the cost of security"-type deals, and unlike the comfy pat-each-other-on-the-shoulder-because-we-all-agree-Joel-is-bad-bad-bad-and-wow-this-was-a-totally-deep-ending-spoon-fed-to-us-for-twelve-hours-and-gosh-I-mean-jeez-I-mean-wow, it leaves you uncomfortable. I liked it. Didn't love it, but don't feel it was off the mark, either.
    Last edited by Forcedme; 08-05-2013 at 23:50.

PSU Live Streamer
    I liked and hated the combat. I liked the combat animations, and I liked the combat variety. What I disliked was when you have 4-5 mechs pinning you to a wall, you have one beating the pulp out of you and the next is charging his stun attack. So they can basically alternate beating you to a pulp before you can properly react. Add to that sometimes you can end up facing the wrong direction and you can't properly block. They even catch you as you try to roll out of harm.

Super Elite
    Did you try the sweep attack? It's designed specifically for such situations. I believe it was... uh, X plus Square at the same time. It knocks back all surrounding enemies.

Also, I found the best approach in fights to constantly switch between enemies. Stun-hit one guy, change direction and knock his friend on the head twice, turn around and punch the other guy, sweep just for the fudge of it, start wildin' out in all directions, summon Monkey's glowing-orange-stick-of-doom then let loose.

I only encountered a few tight fights like that but it didn't seem too difficult getting out of them. Sorry that it sullied your experience.

PSU Live Streamer
    Yea I did the sweep. That is eventually how I got out of the situation. But I usually had to take a beating for a few secs before I could. One dude turns red, melees you 3 consecutive attacks, and on the third you are briefly unable to act, just as a shock blast come flying in and stunning you. Then as you are about to come out of stun, the melee dude goes to town on your face again...rinse/repeat.

As for the glowing stick of doom, I didn't buy that upgrade until late unfortuntely. It could most likely have gotten me out of those situations.

The game was a constant give and take in my opinion.

Great environments -> popin textures
    Great voice acting/characters -> repetitive comments ('let me scan them' or 'distract them' was used way too much, among others)
    Great story -> unfinished ending (subjective I suppose)
    Great combat variety/animations -> annoying moments of being pinned in a corner with little ability to get out

I've never been so straight/narrow, 50/50 about a game in my life lol. I love it and hate it simultaneously. It's not a game I can recommend people to play, but it's not a game I'll tell people not to play. I duno, so weird.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it that much Forcedme.
    Last edited by shepard; 08-06-2013 at 01:07.

PSN ID
    Lvankov
    Enjoyed it enough to go and platinium it.

Game was good without really managing to reach great, liked the start, the character design and voice acting was good as well and the level design of the post apocalyptic world was nice, colorful, overun by nature etc.

Gameplay wise it was good but really repetitive through, rarely challenging but still having some nice animations during the fights.

That's for, let say, the first half, once they reach the swamp area it lost some of its appeal, at least for me.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    This game would have been a million times better if you could jump and fall off ledges. I hated how restrictive the game was in this regard, otherwise it was cool.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    The PS3 version was very bad. I rented it and it was literally unplayable. I bought it new for cheap and I still couldn't play it (It froze on certain areas and couldn't proceed). Finally bought it for Xbox 360 and I was able to play it. The experience was decent at best. Kind of became a chore midway.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I thought it was awesome. Criminally underrated. Awesome characters and gameplay, never had any glitches or problems with my PS3 version
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 08-12-2013 at 08:36.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Picked it up cheap after liking the demo and ended up really enjoying it, enough so to platinum it, too. Ending was a bit duff and there was one or two gameplay/design niggles but apart from that it was pretty damn good.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Man plating that game was a $#@!... sooo many orbs to collect

It was okish back when it came out.
    Shepard and Ghost already pointed out everything wrong with the game:
    -the story was weird
    -Combat repetative
    -Braindead climbingsections etc.

I'd rate it 6/10

Thread Information