Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Master Poster

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,493
    Rep Power
    86

    question on CPU for gaming

    building an extreme budget build for a friend

    is a pentium g2030 going to extremely bottleneck a radeon 7850?
    it that cpu going to be enough to keep "medium to high" settings for cpu intensive games.

    the next step up would be i3's but its almost double the price for a slight performance gain.


  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    ps3isawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,718
    Rep Power
    89
    Items User name style
    Most likely being that it is a dual core. Amd has good performance quad cores for pretty cheap that offer decent performance for gaming.
    Vengeful is amazing<3


  3. #3
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    In the 36 Chambers
    PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,429
    Rep Power
    109
    Can he not strech to a i5 3570K? What is his total CPU budget?

  4. #4
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    PSN ID
    keefy
    Posts
    18,471
    Rep Power
    140
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Can he not strech to a i5 3570K? What is his total CPU budget?
    They are triple what the Pentium CPU costs.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-06-2013 at 16:53.

  5. #5
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    In the 36 Chambers
    PSN ID
    Lymphatik
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,429
    Rep Power
    109
    I did say stretch...

    I can't even imagine why anyone would want to stick with just a dual core at this stage.

  6. #6
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,106
    Rep Power
    117
    Or he could go AMD.

    Just saying. Intel is overpriced for the performance you get. he didn't make the mistake of getting an Intel based motherboard already, did he?

  7. #7
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,273
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    building an extreme budget build for a friend

    is a pentium g2030 going to extremely bottleneck a radeon 7850?
    it that cpu going to be enough to keep "medium to high" settings for cpu intensive games.

    the next step up would be i3's but its almost double the price for a slight performance gain.

    Pretty much any dual core cpu is going to be a bottleneck these days. Their time in a desktop computer has come to an end.

    If you live near a microcenter, you could get much better deals on cpu's, but aside from that you are out of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Or he could go AMD.

    Just saying. Intel is overpriced for the performance you get. he didn't make the mistake of getting an Intel based motherboard already, did he?
    Umm, no.

  8. #8
    I Do Admin Thingies

    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,005
    Rep Power
    797
    I wouldn't skimp on either the CPU or GPU. Some games are either CPU-intensive, GPU-intensive, or both. I wouldn't risk the performance hit just to save a few bucks. He should either skimp on another area and upgrade later (like the hard drive or something)... or wait until he has a couple hundred more bucks. That's my 2 cents.

    The Pentium G2030 is pure crap and doesn't belong in any build, budget or not. That would be okay if all he wanted to do was check his e-mail and use Word.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.