Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 102
  1. #1
    Dedicated Member
    Arimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    3,903 (0 Banked)

    Criminally Underrated Games This Generation. (UPDATE 3!!!)

    Hey Guys as we already know it's been 7 years we've had the PS3, and with each console there are always sleeper hits, but I think in this generation especially there have been extremely underrated games that never get talked about period.

    So Have you guys played or know about any titles as such?

    EDIT/UPDATE:

    Ok so I've seen this go on for about 3 pages now, and I think it's time I added a list of games to the original OP so people don't have to go through reading all pages.

    UPDATE 2: I will continuously update this thread to reflect other games that have been added.

    UPDATE 3: Ok added stuff from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pages still looking at the 3rd page to see if there were any more games listed, but not going to lie going to have a nice amount of games that I want to check out lol. ​

    Probably going to work on the rest of page 3 and 4 over weekend time because got classes and tired for this day.




    The List

    Vanquish
    Bulletstorm
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Nier
    Resonance of Fate
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Sleeping Dogs
    Darksiders(series)
    The Darkness(series)
    Blur
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow
    Sonic Unleashed(PS3/360 exclusively)
    Spec Ops The Line
    XCOM: Enemy unknown
    MLB the show (sports series)
    F.E.A.R
    Dead Island
    Folklore
    Dyad
    Little King's Story
    Wipeout HD/Fury
    Catherine
    Remember Me
    Flower
    Papa and Yo
    Unfinished Swan
    Deathspank
    Motorstorm Pacfic Rift
    Shadows of the Damned
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Binary Domain
    Dark Sector
    Time Shift
    Naughty Bear
    Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
    Singularity
    Heavenly Sword
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    3D Dot Heroes
    Alan Wake
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Max Payne 3
    Prince of Persia 2008
    Toy Story 3
    Malicious
    Dark Void
    The Saboteur


    Last edited by Arimax; 08-14-2013 at 23:38.

  2. #2
    PSU Live Streamer
    shepard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,485
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    25,929 (0 Banked)
    3 games I really enjoyed that didn't get enough publicity in my opinion were
    -Sleeping Dogs
    -Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    -Darksiders

    Come find me on Twitch.tv!


  3. #3
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,141
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    113,212 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Nier







  4. Likes PS4freak likes this post
  5. #4
    Veteran
    GazzaGSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,477
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    23,592 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Blur without a doubt, fantastic racer.

  6. #5
    Veteran
    Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,274
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    11,593 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow. Not so much in the press as it reviewed quite well, but by gamers themselves. It gets trashed because it's not like old Castlevania games, but it is fantastic in its own right.

  7. Likes shepard likes this post
  8. #6
    PSU Live Streamer
    shepard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,485
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    25,929 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow. Not so much in the press as it reviewed quite well, but by gamers themselves. It gets trashed because it's not like old Castlevania games, but it is fantastic in its own right.
    Oh hell yes, forgot about that one. I really enjoyed that one and yes, it got tons of hate.

    Come find me on Twitch.tv!


  9. #7
    Dedicated Member
    KungMartin90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,052
    Rep Power
    22
    Points
    5,991 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Nier
    this. $#@!ing THIS.

    It has a great story, and like one of the best soundtracks ever made for a fantasy game (next to Lineage 2).




    1:32:22
    1:25:49
    30:13
    04:59
    1:48:36

    <3

    So many good memories.
    Last edited by KungMartin90; 08-07-2013 at 19:25.

  10. Likes Fon likes this post
  11. #8
    Dedicated Member
    Arimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    3,903 (0 Banked)
    I was going to wait for people to chime in first before I said mine, and I do think a lot of folks won't agree with me at all on one of them.

    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is indeed one I understand that game is epic.

    Honestly didn't know Deus Ex: Human Revolution was that underrated I haven't finished it yet, but there is so much exploration in that game.

    The two games I know of that played and loved dearly 1. Valkyria Chronicles and 2. Sonic Unleashed(PS3/360) I know VC has been talked about to death being underrated, but it seems to me it might never get the acclaim it ever really deserves so far it's the best RPG I've played on Ps3, and honestly I don't like Strategy games they are my least favorite genre.

    As for Sonic Unleashed heard it all before even from my former roommates they kept telling me it really was just a god awful game, and when I picked it up honestly hadn't played one since Sonic Heroes(which still don't like at least a lot to this day).

    But after I finished the game honestly I think people just bashed the game just for the sake of bashing, and never truly gave it a chance, and I still do believe people are too stuck on Sonic 1-3 and Adventures 1-2 to really review this game. The Werehog parts while not my favorite aren't crap as they've been saying, and overall up until Eggmanland(I'll admit that was just too freaking long no matter who ya are) I was cool with the game.

    Like if I could rate Sonic Unleashed today I'd give it an 8/10 or somewhere in that area it's not a 9 or a 10, but it's definitely not a 4 or even a 6.
    Last edited by Arimax; 08-07-2013 at 19:55.

  12. #9
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,141
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    113,212 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    I was going to wait for people to chime in first before I said mine, and I do think a lot of folks won't agree with me at all on one of them.

    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is indeed one I understand that game is epic.

    Honestly didn't know Deus Ex: Human Revolution was that underrated I haven't finished it yet, but there is so much exploration in that game.

    The two games I know of that played and loved dearly 1. Valkyria Chronicles and 2. Sonic Unleashed(PS3/360) I know VC has been talked about to death being underrated, but it seems to me it might never get the acclaim it ever really deserves so far it's the best RPG I've played on Ps3, and honestly I don't like Strategy games they are my least favorite genre.

    As for Sonic Unleashed heard it all before even from my former roommates they kept telling me it really was just a god awful game, and when I picked it up honestly hadn't played one since Sonic Heroes(which still don't like at least a lot to this day).

    But after I finished the game honestly I think people just bashed the game just for the sake of bashing, and never truly gave it a chance, and I still do believe people are too stuck on Sonic 1-3 and Adventures 1-2 to really review this game. The Werehog parts while not my favorite aren't crap as they've been saying, and overall up until Eggmanland(I'll admit that was just too freaking long no matter who ya are) I was cool with the game.

    Like if I could rate Sonic Unleashed today I'd give it an 8/10 or somewhere in that area it's not a 9 or a 10, but it's definitely not a 4 or even a 6.
    I didn't mention Valkyria Chronicles because that game is well known within the core community. Sonic Unleashed did good numbers sales wise. I do agree that it's an excellent Sonic game if you push away the dialogue.

    Nier on the other hand is almost non existent. Only a handful of people ever say good things about it. The game does have a good number of flaws but the story and soundtrack deserves praise.







  13. #10
    Selected Members Council
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,929
    Rep Power
    195
    Points
    16,190 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex: Human Revolution were great though I wouldn't say the latter is really underrated. Well, it should have spawned a proper sequel (not interested in The Fall). :/
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!



  14. #11
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,954
    Rep Power
    146
    Points
    90,920 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Neir always comes to mind. Such a great game that never gets much credit. Also quite a few more.

    Deus Ex: HR
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    MLB the Show ( Always gets lost in the mix of FIFA and other really popular sorts franchises.)Dragon's Dogma
    Super Stardust HD
    Spec Ops: The Line

    I'm sure I could go through my trophies and find many more!




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  15. #12
    Dedicated Member
    Arimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    3,903 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    I didn't mention Valkyria Chronicles because that game is well known within the core community. Sonic Unleashed did good numbers sales wise. I do agree that it's an excellent Sonic game if you push away the dialogue.

    Nier on the other hand is almost non existent. Only a handful of people ever say good things about it. The game does have a good number of flaws but the story and soundtrack deserves praise.
    True on Valkyria I guess one reason I still feel that way it's could be right up there with the likes of Uncharted 2 as far as story telling goes, but I'm grasping at straws people probably don't want to agree because you know UC2 and TLOU is pretty on the throne lol.

    Man with Sonic Unleashed though so many go back and forth bashing it like if I ever see a good sentence within the gaming community it's so few and far between lol. It did have flaws, but not enough or no where near Sonic 2006 which I actually played, and want that part of my life back.


    EDIT: @ps3freak Super Stardust HD was a blast when I did play it and need to go back to since I got all the DLC for it.

  16. #13
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,954
    Rep Power
    146
    Points
    90,920 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    True on Valkyria I guess one reason I still feel that way it's could be right up there with the likes of Uncharted 2 as far as story telling goes, but I'm grasping at straws people probably don't want to agree because you know UC2 and TLOU is pretty on the throne lol.

    Man with Sonic Unleashed though so many go back and forth bashing it like if I ever see a good sentence within the gaming community it's so few and far between lol. It did have flaws, but not enough or no where near Sonic 2006 which I actually played, and want that part of my life back.


    EDIT: @ps3freak Super Stardust HD was a blast when I did play it and need to go back to since I got all the DLC for it.
    I Probably beat that game 8 times or so! First game I had with trophies.




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  17. #14
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    2,676 (0 Banked)
    One that comes to mind for me is Rage. I didn't hear a lot from people about that one but enjoyed the hell out of it despite one or two small issues. I felt it was far under-rated.

    Also the first F.E.A.R. (I know it was originally PC and then ported unlike Rage which was multiplat from the get-go but that still counts, doesn't it?). Anyway, LOVED the first F.E.A.R., incredible A.I. and thrilling gunfights, plus some really good scares.

  18. #15
    Dedicated Member
    Arimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    3,903 (0 Banked)
    F.E.A.R was a good game and I don't even played games like that all too often scare easily.

    As for Rage never played it heard about it, and honestly I think people completely pushed it under the rug literally as I've never heard good things about it not even remotely positive.

  19. #16
    Apprentice
    AverageNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Zeewolde; the Netherlands
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Age
    17
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    4,340 (0 Banked)

    Criminally Underrated Games This Generation.

    Dead Island, Little King's Story.
    Especially that last one. Way too little sales for this amazing game. Even though it was on the Wii.

    Follow me on Twitter: @DaanvMonsjou

  20. #17
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,217
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    46,332 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Valkyria Chronicles.

    I still regret selling that game.
    Be Together - Not the same.



  21. #18
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,651
    Rep Power
    83
    Points
    22,269 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    I'm going to be another one saying Valkyria Chronicles, that game truly is one of a kind and if it wasn't for TLOU it was my favourite game on the PS3. I just find it a shame that even though reviewers gave it a huge thumbs up and a much play, almost no one ever did and its horrendously weak sales forced the series off the PS3 and onto the PSP which really annoyed me. If you like your tactical turn-based strategy RPGs with amazing battles and storytelling then you just have to get this game, no ifs and no buts!

    Folklore is another game that seemed to pass under everyone's radar. An action JRPG/Adventure game with fantastic storytelling with a heroine with quite a freaky past. The battle system was a lot of fun, especially being able to change the different types of powers to use at any one time based off enemies you're captured, capturing them was also quite an interesting idea too with different enemies requiring different ways to capture them. It was all action based rather than the typical turn-based affair but it had some stunning environments to boot. Highly underrated and a must play.

    Oh and Deus Ex is in no way under-rated, that game had massive sales and nothing but positives from everyone that played it. Oh and it does have a sequel, it's called Desu Ex.

  22. #19
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,328
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    48,932 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    NEIR
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Catherine
    Binary Domain
    Shadows of the Damned
    Lollipop Chainsaw
    WipEout HD
    Valkyria Chronicles

    etc etc etc

  23. #20
    Superior Member
    mini E's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Age
    22
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    9,121 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post

    Folklore is another game that seemed to pass under everyone's radar. An action JRPG/Adventure game with fantastic storytelling with a heroine with quite a freaky past. The battle system was a lot of fun, especially being able to change the different types of powers to use at any one time based off enemies you're captured, capturing them was also quite an interesting idea too with different enemies requiring different ways to capture them. It was all action based rather than the typical turn-based affair but it had some stunning environments to boot. Highly underrated and a must play.

    Oh and Deus Ex is in no way under-rated, that game had massive sales and nothing but positives from everyone that played it. Oh and it does have a sequel, it's called Desu Ex.
    This. Folklore was a great game. Great score too!
    Also:

    El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
    Datura
    Heavenly Sword
    Nucleus
    Dyad
    PS All Stars (few people gave it a real chance)
    Last edited by mini E; 08-08-2013 at 03:28.

    PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

    If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

  24. #21
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,954
    Rep Power
    146
    Points
    90,920 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    NEIR
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Catherine
    Binary Domain
    Shadows of the Damned
    Lollipop Chainsaw
    WipEout HD
    Valkyria Chronicles

    etc etc etc
    Seconded on Shadows of the Damned. Also I think this is creating lots of confusion. I know underrated is given many different meanings by some. I look at underrated outside of its overall basic meaning. I think underrated in the gaming world has taken the form of underappreciated. That's how I've mostly seen as, and honestly that's how I see it as well. I know it sounds off but that is just kind of how the word got transformed when taking about media.

    I Think that is why many have said Deus Ex including me. It's one of those games that got good ratings but is lost in the middle of other immensely popular titles like the Uncharted's, Final Fantasy's, and Elder Scrolls. Just my take on it. I know many may not agree.




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  25. Likes Arimax likes this post
  26. #22
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,648
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    280,562 (888 Banked)
    *bookmarks thread* under "Games i must play"

    NEIR is always brought up in these types of threads. is it really worth it? i've only seen the screenies and never given the game much attention, which is sad to say seeing all the posts above me
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  27. #23
    Dedicated Member
    Arimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    3,903 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mini E View Post
    This. Folklore was a great game. Great score too!
    Also:

    El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
    Datura
    Heavenly Sword
    Nucleus
    Dyad
    PS All Stars (few people gave it a real chance)
    PS All Stars for me is good reason it is a good game, but they've left out so many character's from my childhood that are even bigger than Kratos(to me personally, and yes I do like GOW), and some I understand like Crash, but it was just too much.

    I honestly know it's a good game, but the child in me is upset that these character's aren't there

    Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Samanosuke Akechi(Onimusha Series), GTA characters even, Any FF character even though already mentioned Cloud, Sora from Kingdom Hearts. The list goes way on

    Before you say well you wouldn't have played it even with all these guys because you'll just list more. I'd tell you now give me Crash and I would at least buy it at $30.

    In a nut shell PS All Stars reminds me when Cartoon Network had the 20th anniversary thing like a year ago half-assed didn't really pay true homage to epic years in Playstation or Cartoon Network history instead just gave people more of the IN THE NOW characters.

    Even after I've said all that it probably is a great game it's just that one thing hurt me purchasing it.

    EDIT: But it was their first attempt and maybe in the sequel if one ever happens it might be addressed.
    Last edited by Arimax; 08-08-2013 at 04:05.

  28. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
  29. #24
    Selected Members Council
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,929
    Rep Power
    195
    Points
    16,190 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Oh and Deus Ex is in no way under-rated, that game had massive sales and nothing but positives from everyone that played it. Oh and it does have a sequel, it's called Desu Ex.
    I love the original Deus Ex (it's in my top 5) but I was hoping we would get to play a sequel to Human Revolution that was closer to the events of the original with a similar dark and depressing atmosphere.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!



  30. #25
    Dedicated Member
    Arimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    3,903 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Seconded on Shadows of the Damned. Also I think this is creating lots of confusion. I know underrated is given many different meanings by some. I look at underrated outside of its overall basic meaning. I think underrated in the gaming world has taken the form of underappreciated. That's how I've mostly seen as, and honestly that's how I see it as well. I know it sounds off but that is just kind of how the word got transformed when taking about media.

    I Think that is why many have said Deus Ex including me. It's one of those games that got good ratings but is lost in the middle of other immensely popular titles like the Uncharted's, Final Fantasy's, and Elder Scrolls. Just my take on it. I know many may not agree.
    I also agree in the gaming world that's my definition of underrated as well.

    Games like Hard Corps Uprising, Solder X-2, Wipeout HD/Fury, The Trine series specially 2 as it's the only one I played so far, but those games get lost.

    I do understand they are PSN titles, and not full disc retail like many others, but man I really would say people missed out on titles like those.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.