Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

John Carmack becomes the CTO for Oculus VR

Wow! This is awesome! John Carmack's programming knowledge will definitely benefit the Oculus VR team!

http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...to-id-software

John Carmack becomes the CTO of Oculus VR, retains “ties” to id Software

The Oculus Rift hardware came into the news when id's John Carmack began to demo a virtual reality version of Doom 3: BFG Edition to the press in order to drum up interest in the game. He gave private demos during QuakeCon 2012, and spoke openly and effusively about what could be done with the hardware, and ideas he had for improvements to the design and software.
    It wasn't idle talk, as Oculus has announced that John Carmack has now joined Oculus as the company Chief Technology Officer, and will be working from the company's new office in Dallas, Texas.
    The Penny Arcade Report has been able to clarify that Carmack begins working full time for Oculus today, but still has “ties” to id Software, according to Oculus PR. His role in the company he co-founded, if any, is unknown at this point. We'll be following up to see what we can find out about his relationship to the company.
    Carmack has been a fantastic supporter of virtual reality for years, and his early work with the Rift was already impressive. Oculus is quickly becoming an impressive force in the industry.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I think I should have posted this under 'Other Gaming', mods can you move this thread to that location?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Moved as per request.

OT: This is pretty awesome for OR which is already a damn nice piece of kit (got to try it at FanFest this year).

4. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Moved as per request.

OT: This is pretty awesome for OR which is already a damn nice piece of kit (got to try it at FanFest this year).
    Thanks! I can't wait to try one out myself, I will definitely be getting one once the consumer version comes out! I am curious where in Dallas, TX this new office is...

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    It was very sad to hear the death of the co-founder and main programmer of the Rift and I thought that he would be completely irreplaceable, I mean seriously who could you see fill the space of a programmer and chief architect that has done more for the gaming industry than most people? Well the next best thing has happened, he may not be a very good designer but his programming is just as good and this is an extremely good thing for the Oculus Rift. Now that they have one of the best programmers in the industry they are now again back on solid footing. I am very surprised that Carmack has moved across though, it's quite the unexpected move.

I was really fearful about the Oculus Rift for quite a while but I guess Carmack jumped on the opportunity when it arrived. You can't say no to a legend that has always wanted to work on a new VR device and one that has always worked with VR devices all his life, I can't wait to see what he'll bring to the project.

Thread Information