Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83

The PS4's touchpad. In what ways would you like to see it implemented in games?

A lot of people are saying that the PS4's touchpad will either be gimmicky and or under utilized by developers.
    How would you like to see it used in future titles?
    I myself think it has HUGE potential to allow for more immersive and innovative controls.
    Ok, at the very least it can be used as another button and can free up the dpad for other things.
    Those alone are good enough for me.
    I'm looking forward to it being used with MMO's like Skyrim for instance, you could have gestures for each spell.
    Draw a circle and tap the middle to shoot a fireball or something along those lines.
    Use it for hot keys. Swipe up, down, left, right, and diagonal directions. That's 8 different hot keys without using up a single button that you would normally have to use.
    PC games coming to PS4 could benefit from the TP greatly. You could create gestures to launch macros for example.
    I see so many useful uses for the TP, I'm just surprised more people aren't really excited about it.
    What are you thoughts on the PS4's new touchpad?
    How do you want to see it used?
    Or do you think it's gimmicky and not worth having?
    It's not like it ups the price of the controller, so really it can only make gaming more evolved and fun.
    This is my opinion, what's yours?

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    A lot of people are saying that the PS4's touchpad will either be gimmicky and or under utilized by developers.
    How would you like to see it used in future titles?
    I myself think it has HUGE potential to allow for more immersive and innovative controls.
    Ok, at the very least it can be used as another button and can free up the dpad for other things.
    Those alone are good enough for me.
    I'm looking forward to it being used with MMO's like Skyrim for instance, you could have gestures for each spell.
    Draw a circle and tap the middle to shoot a fireball or something along those lines.
    Use it for hot keys. Swipe up, down, left, right, and diagonal directions. That's 8 different hot keys without using up a single button that you would normally have to use.
    PC games coming to PS4 could benefit from the TP greatly. You could create gestures to launch macros for example.
    I see so many useful uses for the TP, I'm just surprised more people aren't really excited about it.
    What are you thoughts on the PS4's new touchpad?
    How do you want to see it used?
    Or do you think it's gimmicky and not worth having?
    It's not like it ups the price of the controller, so really it can only make gaming more evolved and fun.
    This is my opinion, what's yours?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Aiming in FPS (not that I'll ever play one lol) and games that require it.
    Your sig is too friggin' big. Please change it. ~ PSU Staff

Master Guru
    Probably just maps and menu navigating. Stuff like that. Kinda like how the Wii U gamepad screen works.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    All kinds of gestures could be implemented for various features - Special moves not requiring you to remember to hit multiple buttons in the past to accomplish.
    Weapon/Item Selection wheel - Much more control when you start getting > 8 items (that was a PIA on a number of earlier generation games.)
    Navigating Menus
    Strafing in FPS's
    Too many potential things to list.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I want to be able to lock my system so it will only start when I slap my nob down on the touch pad to unlock it.... like a fingerprint if you will.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

7. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Veteran
    Talking about specific games, it would be a nice addition to BF4, I mean this would help the integration of the Commo Rose to the PS4, it could be used as a swipe motion on the touchpad. I'll leave you a pic for those who are not familiar with the Commo Rose which helps me illustrate how it could be used with the touchpad.

Touch the middel of the touchpad Spot an enemy, swipe towards the top left and gives the Go go go command, you get the drill now.

9. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    RTS games, bring on Warcraft 4 or a good C&C game.

I've seen this from a suggestion of someone else, but I would like it to be used like swype for android. Would be very fast to enter data for example in the browser or YouTube.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk 4

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Talking about specific games, it would be a nice addition to BF4, I mean this would help the integration of the Commo Rose to the PS4, it could be used as a swipe motion on the touchpad. I'll leave you a pic for those who are not familiar with the Commo Rose which helps me illustrate how it could be used with the touchpad.

Touch the middel of the touchpad Spot an enemy, swipe towards the top left and gives the Go go go command, you get the drill now.
    Commo rose is junk. I hate it, its not intuitive in the slightest, I play BF3 on PC and it uses the mouse much like you would use yur finger to swipe.
    I felt the same with BF2 and commo rose so never used it. I really do not understand why people think its so amazingly awesome.

I never bother with it but it is always beign brought up unintentionally because DICE decide combine 2 commands, SPOT and COMMO ROSE so if you hold spot down a fraction too long your screen is filled with commo rose and resets any zoom you had.

For PC I would much prefer separate keys for each command, far easier and quicker.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-10-2013 at 01:57.

Apprentice
    for those who played that magical gem of a game called Okami, remember using the analog stick for the celestial brush? well instead of that the touchpad would have proven to be more useful and effective for titles of that nature.

i could picture an action brawler were you could cut an enemy in half by simply making a swipe across the touchpad.
    ALL 3RD PARTY MULTIPLATFORM GAMES WILL BE SUPERIOR ON PS4 NOW AND IN THE FUTURE!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Fast forward to 30 sec mark:

"Would it work with the DS4's touchpad?" Yes, because for using swype-like functions, you're not reliant on accuracy!

Wishlist: inFAMOUS, SotC 2, Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2, next Obsidian Fallout, Fallout 4, Project Eternity, ND's PS4 game
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Commo rose is junk. I hate it, its not intuitive in the slightest, I play BF3 on PC and it uses the mouse much like you would use yur finger to swipe.
    I felt the same with BF2 and commo rose so never used it. I really do not understand why people think its so amazingly awesome.

I never bother with it but it is always beign brought up unintentionally because DICE decide combine 2 commands, SPOT and COMMO ROSE so if you hold spot down a fraction too long your screen is filled with commo rose and resets any zoom you had.

For PC I would much prefer separate keys for each command, far easier and quicker.
    I don't particularly care that much for that feature to be honest, but it's the only thing I could think about to put the touchpad up for some good use.

16. Likes keefy likes this post

It could be used for loads of things. Being involved with gameplay like okami or jet set radio. Or used as extra buttons. Swipe up, Tap, swipw left etc. For changing weapons, or zooming with a sniper.

I know assassins creed 3 isnt liked here, but the wii u version with the horse whistle on the gamepad screen, made things so much easier and better. It opened a slot on the buttons or d-pad. Id b happy with that on certain games

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post

"Would it work with the DS4's touchpad?" Yes, because for using swype-like functions, you're not reliant on accuracy!
    I have heard about that before but never seen ti work (my phone is stupid) now it makes sense.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-10-2013 at 06:04.

Superior Member
    I'm alot more excited for it then I initially was.

In games like Dragon Age it can be used so(unlike the PC versions) you're not limited to like only 4 of your special attacks at any given time.

It can be used in fighting games, imagine using a gesture for an "Hadoken" would make it more fun and less stress on thumbs(Even though they improved the d-pad too)

Shooting games it can be used as a more precised way of throwing grenades( Which would free up the current/ default grenade button for something else, which would be nice)

Side scrollers maybe it can be used to look higher or more to the side on levels with high amounts of vertibility and lengthy

RTS would have it's controllerized version of a mouse and keyboard (Hoping for Civ. Revolution 2 or a straight up port of Civ. 5)

Sports games it could be used for quick plays like routes or pick n rolls

After saying all this I definitely look forward to what should, could, and will be done with the touchpad, also can't forget that it can be pressed as a button which is nice. I'm excited.
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    With the use of the touchpad I think we will see more tablet and phone games being converted over to the PS4. The touchpad can also be used for easy access to items in a commo rose.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    It will be a little awkward at first, but as time goes by devs will find better ways of integrating functionality into games I'm sure.

I think we saw the Guerrilla guys at E3 use it for the Owl?

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Yeah I'm very excited. I can't wait to see what the devs come up with in future titles.
    I could see it working well in FPS like BF or CoD, pressing a button to aim your sniper rifle while moving your finger up the touchpad to zoom in. Or even better it could work great for melee attacks. Any direction you swipe your finger is the same direction you knife your enemy. Grenades have been said. Swiping down to go into prone could be useful.
    I was a little surprised when I saw that the next gen controllers kept the exact same amount of inputs/buttons.
    Having more buttons only adds more options to games. I've always wanted buttons on the back of the controller where your middle or ring finger naturally sits. But a touchpad is even better!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post

Yeah, that was one of the first things I mentioned (actually referenced Swype which I prefer over SwiftKey but same concept.) It would make entering text much much easier. Probably would need to do something press the touchpad button down when you're over the first letter because unlike a smartphone/tablet you don't know where on the screen you're actually first touching on the touchpad.

24. Likes K2D likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    touchpad is needed most with media features. there will be a facebookish inteeface, so direction buttons will be pain soon.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Scrolling through inventory items in games like skyrim, and pressing the button to equip

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
    Scrolling through inventory items in games like skyrim, and pressing the button to equip
    that's the main one I think we're all hoping for.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    The applications are numerous, and it would actually be helpful unlike SixAxis/motion gaming controls.

Thread Information