Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

The tech of Next-Gen

whilst this video technically talks about the desktop range, its still applicable to the PS4, as the tech powering it is similar. it also outlines the shift we can expect to see with devs going to CPU/GPU's that are both integrated and highly threaded.

those more tech savvy than I will have to inform me, but the diagram shown for hUMA looked identical to the one released for the PS4 onion and garlic buses - with the added virtual memory.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

2. Likes Kauldron, Lefein, Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    This is exactly why I'm going with an AMD laptop and PC this coming generation. With the PS4 and Xbox One sporting AMD hardware, AMD will have the edge over Intel in performance once again. AMD is and always has been the true king. Intel is just good at copying AMD's goodness.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    This is exactly why I'm going with an AMD laptop and PC this coming generation. With the PS4 and Xbox One sporting AMD hardware, AMD will have the edge over Intel in performance once again. AMD is and always has been the true king. Intel is just good at copying AMD's goodness.
    have you seen their latest enthusiast chips though! 270w! F THAT!!!

i can't wait to see devs creating heavily multi-threaded games though, simply because they can. 8 threads, across 8 cores should produce some very interesting results as these consoles get pushed to the edge!

and that's not even considering the GPU! which should equally result in some awesome works of beauty!

i imagine this architecture has devs very giddy
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I've always liked AMD. Even though I'm currently using an intel cpu with Nvidia GPU, when I upgrade here pretty soon I am definitely going to get an AMD CPU as I've heard so many times that the 8350 for the price is better bang for the buck. With the support that AMD is getting with both Sony and Microsoft. I hope to see smoother patching processes for their GPU line.

Dedicated Member
    I'd love to see AMD make a comeback in the CPU department, and the next-gen consoles could help make that a reality. The last AMD CPU I bought was a socket A Athlon Thunderbird CPU. The price/performance ratio was amazing compared to what Intel offered at the time. After that, Intel began to make gains and had pretty well dominated AMD with the release of the Core line. I'd love for my next gaming HTPC to include an AMD CPU and GPU. We'll see.
    i7 4770 | EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 32GB
    i7 3770 |
    EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 16GB

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i have an amd cpu in my pc right now

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    I'd love to see AMD make a comeback in the CPU department, and the next-gen consoles could help make that a reality. The last AMD CPU I bought was a socket A Athlon Thunderbird CPU. The price/performance ratio was amazing compared to what Intel offered at the time. After that, Intel began to make gains and had pretty well dominated AMD with the release of the Core line. I'd love for my next gaming HTPC to include an AMD CPU and GPU. We'll see.
    Tbh piledriver isn't that bad, windows 7 had horrible support for the many cores. It was fixed in windows 8. They're not great for workstations, but for gaming and mainly streaming AMD rules. In multi-threaded games like Crysis 3 and BF3, the FX8350 even beats the i5s and i7s for example.

Follow me on Twitter: @DaanvMonsjou

9. Likes Lefein, Demi_God likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    There are some AMD cpu's that weren't all that great but every CPU company has that porblem. Intel his no stranger to having a $#@!ty cpu. AMD while they did have some crappy cpu's, they did get rimrodded quite a bit by review sites such as toms hardware that would actually inflate intel cpu's so dramatically even more so in gaming.

Now it looks like toms hardware is covering their tracks. I specifically remember them inflating the intel i7 so much and that was last year. Once it was known that the 8350 was an awesome cpu which happened around march of this year, they decided to fix a few things with their graphs.

If I was rendering or something, I would use intel cpu's along with an Nvidia GPU but since that isn't the case, I will stick with AMD.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 08-10-2013 at 20:45.

Forum Sage

Elite Guru
    AMD are great but when it comes to performance and power efficiency Intel are still the winners they simply have the best engineers and the cash to back up their needs. AMD are brilliant in their own way but don't put them on a pedestal of perfection.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    Ya, that was a great CPU for a good price. I also think this pushed Intel to strive further with their CPUs. Competition is always a good thing and Ive supported AMD for this reason
    Im happy to see AMD secured this deal with the consoles

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
    Tbh piledriver isn't that bad, windows 7 had horrible support for the many cores. It was fixed in windows 8. They're not great for workstations, but for gaming and mainly streaming AMD rules. In multi-threaded games like Crysis 3 and BF3, the FX8350 even beats the i5s and i7s for example.
    To be clear, FX8350 performs marginally better in a couple of games in benchmarks designed to make the CPU the limiting factor. These days, for a lot of PC gamers, the CPU is not going to be the limiting factor. Not only that, but the marginal performance advantage in just a few synthetic cases hardly makes up for how it actually performs across the board, especially given that it's drawing significantly more power at loads.

With very moderate overclocking, without even touching voltages, and with a $#@!ty stock fan, you can overclock that i5 or i7 such that you wipe away any synthetic, CPU limiting, benchmark lead held by AMD, and probably still draw less power. That's unfortunate, and pretty astonishing given that you're comparing a CPU with a full 8 cores versus one with half as many. That's serious efficiency on Intel's part.

The next gen console win for AMD is a really good opportunity for them to make larger gains in the enthusiast gaming PC market, which appears to be one of the few PC sectors experiencing gains against the larger trend of abandoning PCs. Myself and lots of other PC gamers could be forced to migrate to AMD builds if there's something specific about their architecture that offers a noticeable benefit to code for, and most developers already code for it because they're developing on that architecture on the console side.
    i7 4770 | EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 32GB
    i7 3770 |
    EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 16GB

Elite Member
    They are banking everything on the next gen consoles to win back half of the PC market they loss to intel & Nvidia.

Their promise to PC gamers? Buy AMD and get better console ports...lol desperate times call for a desperate move.

good luck AMD, u will need it.

Master Guru
    So basically the PS4 is as powerful as a high end PC?

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    No. No where does it say anything like that. Technical details aside, the APU allows for surprisingly efficient and fast processing, and the CPU allows for excellent multi-tasking overall.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    It's the top of the line processor in terms of efficiency in the PC market but overall it is nowhere near top of the line in terms of overall performance.

They are banking everything on the next gen consoles to win back half of the PC market they loss to intel & Nvidia.

To be fair they never really had half the market place, AMD has always been trailing in terms of market share.

Elite Sage
    I never have nor will i in the immediate future build a PC built around AMD cpu's. I always recommend them for budget builds but never for high end builds.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The way the guy pronounces Jaguar is funny. Jagwaar.

Elite Sage
    makes me think about that top gear episode where Jeremy corrected Ryan Reynolds

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    It's the top of the line processor in terms of efficiency in the PC market but overall it is nowhere near top of the line in terms of overall performance.

To be fair they never really had half the market place, AMD has always been trailing in terms of market share.[/COLOR]
    But will it be a bottleneck? I mean apparently Xenon and Cell were, all told, exceedingly below average when compared to the PC space for practical computing applications and x86 has made leaps and bounds in the interim (thus Cerny's opinion it is viable now).

Will the Jaguar be worthless?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    But will it be a bottleneck? I mean apparently Xenon and Cell were, all told, exceedingly below average when compared to the PC space for practical computing applications and x86 has made leaps and bounds in the interim (thus Cerny's opinion it is viable now).

CPUs are hardly bottleneck... With gaming, it's all about the GPU. FX4100 + GTX 780 > i7 4770k + GTX 770.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post

I could see that for the cell, but not for xenon. Back when the 360 came out, the Power Mac G5 was still sold and regarded as a high end/high performance computer.

CPUs are hardly bottleneck... With gaming, it's all about the GPU. FX4100 + GTX 780 > i7 4770k + GTX 770.
    Not true. The 4100 will bottleneck the 780 in various games at various resolutions/detail settings.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Not true. The 4100 will bottleneck the 780 in various games at various resolutions/detail settings.
    True, but a FX4100 + GTX780 costs about the same as a 4770k + GTX770. You're going to get better results on the 4100 + 780. And the AMD 8 cores are pretty neat. They even beat the intels in multi threaded games such as Crysis 3.

Forum Sage
    True, but a FX4100 + GTX780 costs about the same as a 4770k + GTX770. You're going to get better results on the 4100 + 780. And the AMD 8 cores are pretty neat. They even beat the intels in multi threaded games such as Crysis 3.
    No you won't. Also there isn't much point in bothering with the 4770k when the 4670k will achieve the same results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ance,3427.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,3106.html

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I could see that for the cell, but not for xenon. Back when the 360 came out, the Power Mac G5 was still sold and regarded as a high end/high performance computer.

Eh.. From what I just read, that core was not being used in Cell nor Xenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_970

That article states what I've always heard, that Xenon's CPU's were similar to the Cell PPE which in turn were divorced from other PowerPC cores.

Thread Information