Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Basically you pay for the Gold subscription for online play, and those aspects. Gold also has all these other "features" you can use. It's not like you're paying to use the browser. You're paying for the whole enchilada.
    But if youre not much of an online MP gamer but want to use the browser, watch some Netflix, etc. then you are going to be paying to use those apps and services on Xbox Live because theyre not available to Silver members. And those "features" are free everywhere else. (other than what you pay Netflix themselves for example). I see no justification for that.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-12-2013 at 01:23.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    This is no surprise since there have been several articles referring to this or I should say pointing out the differences. I look at it like this, to each their own. Mainly because some people feel more secure with paying for features that some can get for free and some, like myself do not. Its more of a personal preference. If MS can state why it is such a value to have these items as paid items, then so be it. Also a rumor that has been going around is that MS is planning to rethink this strategy, so we will have to see...

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    PS4 is still a next gen console without ps+ yet xbo is not without gold.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    But if youre not much of an online MP gamer but want to use the browser, watch some Netflix, etc. then you are going to be paying to use those apps and services on Xbox Live because theyre not available to Silver members. And those "features" are free everywhere else. (other than what you pay Netflix themselves for example). I see no justification for that.
    Well, users have the option. If someone wants to use them "free" (other than what you pay...) then they should use those services on their TV if that's what they want to do.
    With that in mind, I'm not sure why there is any problem with Microsoft charging for services they want to charge for.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Making it pay to use the apps isn't going to make people pony up. They already have a Laptop or a media streamer or of course a TV that supports it and all without paying any extra to those manufacturers.
    No instead all the people will do is press the "source button" and switch the input to TV to watch sports and use apps.

The other stuff like spying on your viewing habits and matchmaking are services MS have spent multiple man hours of research and development time into creating.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-12-2013 at 03:04.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Users have an option, they can have an Xbox One not pay for online and not pay for live and use those features on something better that isn't trying to rob them.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Makign it pay to use the apps isnt going to make people pony up. They already have a Laptop or a media streamer or bof course a TV that supports it and all without paying any extra to those manufacturers.
    No instead all the people will do is press the "source button" and switch the input to TV to watch sports and use apps.
    Yep. Done. You either wanna pay to play online, and get to use all those other apps, or don't pay for online gaming, and use one of the many free sources for those apps.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    PS4 is still a next gen console without ps+ yet xbo is not without gold.
    I agree with that.

Forum Guru
    I dont pay for online so the PS4 has the advantage for me especially with the youtube app.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    I dont pay for online so the PS4 has the advantage for me especially with the youtube app.
    you're going to buy a PS4 but you won't play the games online?

Ultimate Veteran
    Netflix is behind a pay wall on the x1 and its free on ps4

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Well, users have the option. If someone wants to use them "free" (other than what you pay...) then they should use those services on their TV if that's what they want to do. With that in mind, I'm not sure why there is any problem with Microsoft charging for services they want to charge for.
    So then by that logic the X1 really isnt the one stop shop for all of your entertainment if I have to turn off my X1 or 360 and switch to my Smart TV everytime I want to watch some Netflix or use an app. Sure MS can charge people for whatever they want to and they do. But is it actually a good value when you can enjoy all those same features on the PS3 and PS4 for free? As somebody who doesn't play that much online MP I have to say no it isnt. Now if you do play alot of online MP and so therefore are going to obviously pay for Gold anyway then ok fine. For me I like being able to enjoy that stuff right on my console despite the fact that I do own two Smart TVs. And I like knowing that even if I dont have PS+ that Netflix, You Tube and all the other apps are still available to me. Now that is what I call options. Not go somewhere else if you want to be able to use these apps for free. Anyway that just my feelings on it as somebody who's a little more singleplayer oriented but likes using the apps. But like I said I understand people why it isnt a problem for those paying for Gold anyway because they play online MP alot.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-12-2013 at 05:29.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm not much of an online gamer. My preference is toward a single player gaming. I barely even played Uncharted 2's MP and most of the titles I have are games that focus on single player gaming.

So the PS4 paywall won't affect me much, but I do like to browse the PSN store (demos, videos), and do some occasion youtube viewing when I feel like not powering up the PC.

Besides, I can always fire up my PC if I ever wanted to play online.

14. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Veteran
    I have PS+ for the games I get with it, but I don't play much online. It's annoying playing games with people whose faces I can't see. The times I have played online, I run across 12 year olds who shouldn't be playing most of those games, and people who are too serious and kick me off because I make a single mistake (got booted from L4D2 because I accidentally hit a teammate... Not before they retaliated against my one accidental hit by killing me... I hate co-op modes with friendly fire, anyhow. It always ends with trouble) I like playing with friends, but friends are so rarely playing games at the same time as I am, and they so often are playing games I'm not interested in at the time, I just stick to single player experiences.

16. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Veteran
    So your paying 39.99 for PSN to just play online?
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore View Post
    No, you also get Instant Games Collection for PS3, Vita and PS4. About 50 games a year.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    No, you also get Instant Games Collection for PS3, Vita and PS4. About 50 games a year.

Sent from my GT-I9000
    and early betas, demo, cloud storage and better discounts

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post

Sent from my GT-I9000
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    and early betas, demo, cloud storage and better discounts
    dedicated servers likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    I'm not much of an online gamer. My preference is toward a single player gaming. I barely even played Uncharted 2's MP and most of the titles I have are games that focus on single player gaming.

So the PS4 paywall won't affect me much, but I do like to browse the PSN store (demos, videos), and do some occasion youtube viewing when I feel like not powering up the PC.

Besides, I can always fire up my PC if I ever wanted to play online.
    hmm, i guess i can't blame anyone. i can see the niche against PC gaming. would you pay for PS+ if Sony made it mandatory for the rest of the features?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtheduck View Post
    I have PS+ for the games I get with it, but I don't play much online. It's annoying playing games with people whose faces I can't see. The times I have played online, I run across 12 year olds who shouldn't be playing most of those games, and people who are too serious and kick me off because I make a single mistake (got booted from L4D2 because I accidentally hit a teammate... Not before they retaliated against my one accidental hit by killing me... I hate co-op modes with friendly fire, anyhow. It always ends with trouble) I like playing with friends, but friends are so rarely playing games at the same time as I am, and they so often are playing games I'm not interested in at the time, I just stick to single player experiences.
    lol aw man. well, that's just how it is online you know. i mean, not all the time but sometimes. and it depends on the games. some games are pretty bad at this kind of stuff but those games are also rare.

i don't like co-op online either...never had a good experience. now multiplayer is another story. i love those. i like single player games as well but multiplayer games are just awesome.

Veteran
    If some of you guys had scrolled upward, you would have seen the PC "comparison" was thrown in as a jest, complete with animated smiley, so the jokes on you.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...=1#post6176369

The point isn't about what is or isn't behind a paywall. The point is which is the better bargain and PS4/PS+ completely wipes the floor over the XBone and live. Then there is the comparison about how much more the PS4 is open without a paywall. PSN still has several MMO's, quite a few free to play, like Dust, Planetside2, DC Universe, sounds like maybe Everquest, what are there maybe a dozen MP games that don't require the paywall.

The PSN/PS+ paywall is a much better and higher quality premium service for the price and doesn't force the game player to have a subscription just for very basic services.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

22. Likes Peregrin8X likes this post
    Forum Guru
    hmm, i guess i can't blame anyone. i can see the niche against PC gaming. would you pay for PS+ if Sony made it mandatory for the rest of the features?
    I will not pay for online subscription that make me feel like I'm being ripped off especially when its something like accessing youtube or browse the web.

24. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Again, this a console comparison chart

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2
    Like it or not, Wii U is still next gen
    Though I still prefer PS4

Follow me on Twitter: @DaanvMonsjou

Master Guru
    The Xbox One is the all in one set top box that happens to play games. The PS4 is a gaming machine through and through. Both will be amazing. The end.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    The Xbox One is the all in one set top box that happens to play games. The PS4 is a gaming machine through and through - that also happens to have a fairly rich entertainment/media capabilities. Both will be amazing. The end.
    Don't forget that part.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
    Like it or not, Wii U is still next gen
    Though I still prefer PS4
    Seeing as how the Wii U is out and available in stores now.. That makes it current gen.
    Last edited by faaeng; 08-14-2013 at 22:54.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Seeing as how the Wii U is out and available in stores now.. That makes it current gen.
    No no, the Wii came out in the PS3 / XB360 period. The Wii U started the next generation

Follow me on Twitter: @DaanvMonsjou

Thread Information