Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    The ads are ridiculous on this site, a stupid ass Lynx ad that takes up the bottom half of the page and a popup video, both of which happen more often than not. So I'm not removing ad block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    I don't really mind 'normal' ads, but the ones that play unwanted sound, or cover the screen, or follow your mouse-wheel down the screen blocking the forum text, or make my browser all buggy...except for those types of things, I don't mind ads.
    All this. Seriously I tried with out no script and ad blocker and those ads made me turn it all back on.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

2. Likes sainraja likes this post
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    We're always looking at this together, even as a staff. Just a few minutes ago, I screen-capped a TERRIBLE Fox Sports ad and emailed it to Steven to make him aware. We can't always be sure what form ad packages will take, but we learn over time who to work with and how they do business.

The ad experience will only improve with time, so thank you for your continued feedback, and THANK YOU to everyone gracious enough to turn off adblocker. It can't be overstated what a difference even 10 or 20% less adblocker usage could make for PSU.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    We're always looking at this together, even as a staff. Just a few minutes ago, I screen-capped a TERRIBLE Fox Sports ad and emailed it to Steven to make him aware. We can't always be sure what form ad packages will take, but we learn over time who to work with and how they do business.

The ad experience will only improve with time, so thank you for your continued feedback, and THANK YOU to everyone gracious enough to turn off adblocker. It can't be overstated what a difference even 10 or 20% less adblocker usage could make for PSU.
    Have you (or rather, are you) able to see differences already? Or is it too early?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    im a sub but turned ab off anyway.

i dont get how other subs are seeing ads tho?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Have you (or rather, are you) able to see differences already? Or is it too early?
    Too early--these figures are usually released/looked at on a monthly basis. For all intents and purposes, though, the correlation is direct. If 44% of PSU readers use adblocker, PSU is making 44% less money than it could be, without any change to readership or monthly pageviews. Tech fixes could be made. New features could be implemented. Our comments section, and entire site infrastructure, could be updated or overhauled. More staff could be paid (the vast majority, including myself, are not).

That's all I can really say to people who use adblocker, or to users who get frustrated by ads. I completely understand the inconvenience, and I used adblocker myself, years ago, before I joined PSU. But you get what you put in. This is your community, your home, your PlayStation family. What's worth more to you--PSU's continued growth and improvement, or not having to see ads? That's for each individual to decide. But it's worth serious consideration, because the landscape for websites like ours in the next 3, 5, 10 years looks, to put it lightly, bleak.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Deleted today's thread about the Penny Arcade article because direction of conversation (and, really, my OP to begin with) was duplicating this thread. Realized after the fact that I should've soft-deleted, not hard deleted.

For posterity: I posted a link to this article, and asked the PSU community to consider supporting sites whose content they enjoy. When a member posted about not wanting to turn off ad blocker because of the annoyance/inconvenience of ads, I agreed with their reasoning, but posted an analogy comparing reading PSU with ad-blocker to pirating a game (this analogy was actually taken from the article). My intent was to make my personal belief known while subtly asking the community if they agree. Both Cuguy and Agriel called me out for heavy-handedness (sorry about that, should've kept my personal belief out of what I intended to be a thread for open feedback). Then conversation moved to people posting about whether they use ad block or not, which this thread already covers.

Then, Steven mentioned something about a new solution that will allow you to keep ad blocker on or off, and I realized that this is his issue, not mine, to speak about.

Soldier 95B
    I wish I could hide the green "PSU.com needs your support" green drop down. It always covers what I am trying to read.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I wish I could hide the green "PSU.com needs your support" green drop down. It always covers what I am trying to read.
    I'm not sure why, but I've never been able to see what that looks like. Maybe because of my forum permissions? Can you post or PM a screenshot?

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I've never been able to see what that looks like. Maybe because of my forum permissions? Can you post or PM a screenshot?
    psu.jpg

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Thanks!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    I can deal with that, it's the lesser of two evils
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Click on it and choose the hide for X days.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I have unblocked the ads for now. I had to block them because some of them was annoying as hell. Like the pop-up Diablo 3 trailer that couldn't be closed until it was finished, came up every single time I clicked myselft in to some part of the forum. As long as you don't use those kind of ads and ads with sound or pop-in ads and such I will keep the site unblocked. I guess I can live with "normal" ads, as long as they're not too intrusive.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Click on it and choose the hide for X days.
    I love you man!

16. Likes KyleOnTheRun likes this post
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    We've now stopped the campaign against Ad Block. We had 0.2% percent of visitors switch off Ad Block as a result. Thanks for those that did, it's appreciated.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Well i will keep mine off for this site only and that will stay like that for good
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

19. Likes KyleOnTheRun likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    0,2%?! damn :\

Wow, I just tried to read some of the articles on the front news page. I was one of those that disabled Adblock to help the site out. OMG the ads on the news page pop up from the bottom of the screen and completely take over the screen. Hate to say this, but it was SO annoying I turned Adblock back on.

The normal ads weren't too annoying but these were deal breakers

22. Likes Hulious777 likes this post
    PSN ID
    LongbaxMiller
    Quote Originally Posted by D1STORT1ON View Post
    Wow, I just tried to read some of the articles on the front news page. I was one of those that disabled Adblock to help the site out. OMG the ads on the news page pop up from the bottom of the screen and completely take over the screen. Hate to say this, but it was SO annoying I turned Adblock back on.

The normal ads weren't too annoying but these were deal breakers
    I'm a new member and I turned mine off also and the amount of ads were overwhelming... I understand having to make some revenue but there has to be a line drawn in the sand... Luckily I do most of my forum for browsing from my phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    how can one exempt PSU from abp on firefox? I can find the settings.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    how can one exempt PSU from abp on firefox? I can find the settings.
    If you just right click on the ABP icon, chose "disable on this website" or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Tools > Adblock Plus > Disable on psu.com

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Before people will consider turning of adblock you'll have to fix the advertisements themselves. I know you don't choose them, but surely you can control them?

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    Before people will consider turning of adblock you'll have to fix the advertisements themselves. I know you don't choose them, but surely you can control them?
    In order for them to be "fixed" people have to report them.
    Im getting a sense that people complain about ads, without really saying which ad it is. Me, in Canada, I dont get anything more then the usual ones.. never get sound or pop up ones.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Thread Information