Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Elder

An Insider's Look at the Xbox One Controller...

a look at what will be the defining controller of nextgen.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Loving that trigger Rumble

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Veteran
    Really looking forward to trying this controller out...Can it really be better than the 360 pad?
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore View Post
    Really looking forward to trying this controller out...Can it really be better than the 360 pad?
    Same. The sooner the better.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I laughed so hard when they said it has infa red.

Veteran
    1/5 rated thread...Whats the deal with that?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    The rumble triggers are one of the highlights of the X1 in my opinion. Great idea.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

9. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    "Notice the battery door protruding out a little bit..." - A little bit my ass, that thing was a wart the size of Bill Clinton's Nose.

D-pad patent has expired so they where able to go away from the round pad - still can't get it quite as isolated as Sony's patented D-pad, but much better than what it was.

I like what MS did in general it was a very good step up. I like that they added more rumble motors throughout the controller. I'm not totally bought into the 'impact triggers' sorry but guns don't recoil through the trigger so I'm not buying much from that particular item, but the ability to feel subtle localization differences is a great feature and I'm glad both consoles will be supporting this.

Still using battery pack or AA's is a let down IMHO. Personally I can give a rats ass about the fact that it goes wired and turns off the wireless when plugged in, this small difference is not something I'd be able to notice personally.

What I really want to know is does the proprietary port on the back allow for full game audio or just chat? Which is the question I've also been asking of the EXT port on the back of the DS4. Inquiring minds want to know.

11. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    "Notice the battery door protruding out a little bit..." - A little bit my ass, that thing was a wart the size of Bill Clinton's Nose.

D-pad patent has expired so they where able to go away from the round pad - still can't get it quite as isolated as Sony's patented D-pad, but much better than what it was.

I like what MS did in general it was a very good step up. I like that they added more rumble motors throughout the controller. I'm not totally bought into the 'impact triggers' sorry but guns don't recoil through the trigger so I'm not buying much from that particular item, but the ability to feel subtle localization differences is a great feature and I'm glad both consoles will be supporting this.

Still using battery pack or AA's is a let down IMHO. Personally I can give a rats ass about the fact that it goes wired and turns off the wireless when plugged in, this small difference is not something I'd be able to notice personally.

What I really want to know is does the proprietary port on the back allow for full game audio or just chat? Which is the question I've also been asking of the EXT port on the back of the DS4. Inquiring minds want to know.
    According to the turtle beach headset descriptions on the X1 accessory page, they plug into the controller....

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/a...es?xr=shellnav

13. Likes TAZ427 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    The rumble triggers are one of the highlights of the X1 in my opinion. Great idea.
    It's a very cool idea. I just wonder if it could get annoying. Probably would be something you could easily get used to but I just think about those times in games when you have a minigun and unlimited ammo. Lol

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    It's a very cool idea. I just wonder if it could get annoying. Probably would be something you could easily get used to but I just think about those times in games when you have a minigun and unlimited ammo. Lol
    Pretty sure you could turn it of, and possibly adjust the level of rumble as well.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Pretty sure you could turn it of, and possibly adjust the level of rumble as well.
    I'm sure. I think the intensity setting would be better. Like I said it's a very cool idea and it would be something I would like to use.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Some games give you the option to turn up/down Rumble level

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Veteran
    I think it's something that we'l get used to very quickly!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    According to the turtle beach headset descriptions on the X1 accessory page, they plug into the controller....

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/a...es?xr=shellnav
    Good to know. At least one confirmed. Now only if Sony would confirm that's the purpose if it's EXT port. Admittedly it's the one thing that makes the most sense for me on the backside - the other being a thumb keyboard (which I don't care to have on my controller.)

Forum Sage
    Good to know. At least one confirmed. Now only if Sony would confirm that's the purpose if it's EXT port. Admittedly it's the one thing that makes the most sense for me on the backside - the other being a thumb keyboard (which I don't care to have on my controller.)
    I don't the bandwidth of bluetooth 2.1 is enough to support such a feature. (compared to the wifi direct protocol being used by the X1).

2.1 = 3 Mbit/s
    X1 wifi direct = 32 Mbit/s (from the kotaku controller interview)

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I don't the bandwidth of bluetooth 2.1 is enough to support such a feature. (compared to the wifi direct protocol being used by the X1).

2.1 = 3 Mbit/s
    X1 wifi direct = 32 Mbit/s (from the kotaku controller interview)
    Actually 3Mbps is more than ample bandwidth to support 7.1 + Voice Chat.

Forum Sage
    Actually 3Mbps is more than ample bandwidth to support 7.1 + Voice Chat.
    Using what codec and at what bitrate?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Using what codec and at what bitrate?
    Damn near any decent codec. Pick your favorite lossy compression algo. Bitrates in terms of codec's are in the after compression average bitrate. So, if you're saying 96kbps WMA it's 96kbps for the compressed data. And that's for the full audio, typically for music it's in stereo/2-channel.

I'll be generous and say 192Kbps per channel (the equivalent of 384kbps for stereo audio) w/ 10 channel audio and your under 2Mbps average consumption.

Forum Sage
    Damn near any decent codec. Pick your favorite lossy compression algo. Bitrates in terms of codec's are in the after compression average bitrate. So, if you're saying 96kbps WMA it's 96kbps for the compressed data. And that's for the full audio, typically for music it's in stereo/2-channel.

I'll be generous and say 192Kbps per channel (the equivalent of 384kbps for stereo audio) w/ 10 channel audio and your under 2Mbps average consumption.
    Maybe.

If we used dolby digital plus for the game audio, that maxes out at 4.736 Mbit/s. And lets say 128k mono audio for game chat/communication. Puts you well over 3 Mbit/s.

There aren't any other codecs that allow for 7 channels with better compression that that.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Maybe.

If we used dolby digital plus for the game audio, that maxes out at 4.736 Mbit/s. And lets say 128k mono audio for game chat/communication. Puts you well over 3 Mbit/s.

There aren't any other codecs that allow for 7 channels with better compression that that.
    Uhm, you need to go back and do your research, E-AC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) actually maxes out at 6.144Mbps. But the transport used on BluRay for it only maxed out at 1.7Mbps. You don't have to support the maxed out limits. It's going to be better quality already than AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) in terms of quality per channel which was at only 640Kbps on BluRay (448Kbps on DVD) for all channels.

Going beyond this really isn't going to buy you much of anything. And I will say it will buy you absolution not a damn thing on a $200 headset.

BTW, there are better codecs such as Dolby TrueHD lossless compression but it's not going to have any notable difference on a $200 headset.

Forum Elder

Thread Information