Latest PSU headlines:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 8
    Soldier 95B
    This is good news, right?

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    This is really good news. I imagine the next 180 is for them to make a SKU without the Kienct in it at all. At that point there would actually be very little difference between the PS4 and the Xbox One.

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    depends on your views. i was not happy when i found out that Sony was going to at least include the PS4 eye in the bundles but changed that.

to cut the price, they left a half assed product (DS4 with the move integration).

MS, imo, had an advantage even though it wasn't popular. now it's gone. it's still bundled which is good but for how long? people don't want to pay the cost.
    Last edited by Omar; 08-17-2013 at 16:47.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    depends on your views. i was not happy when i found out that Sony was going to at least include the PS4 eye in the bundles but changed that.

to cut the price, they left a half assed product (DS4 with the move integration).

MS, imo, had an advantage even though it wasn't popular. now it's gone. it's still bundled which is good but for how long? people don't want to pay the cost.
    Why did you want the ps eye?

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    i think so, sorry but motion controls are for the birds. i can't stand them, and nothing has been cool enough for me to even use them

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Why did you want the ps eye?
    i actually don't want the PS4's eye cam. but if you're going to give us move implementation, and not support the older cam then might as well bundle it. but i understand, i don't want to pay more and i'm sure many others don't either.

somehow keeping it a standard would be better than not even bundling it with the system. If that's what you want to do then just give it up, it's going to be the same as the older PS eye. there's no support, there are barely any games, developers don't know how to implement it right...i have yet to play a core game that incorporated this well.

i don't want to play mini-games. so i'm stuck with a device i'll never use.

at this point, i have no reason to buy a PS4 eye cam because there's no incentive for developers to utilize the thing. there's a reason kojima was attracted towards the kinect (other than the fact that it's more advanced).

on the PS4, he can't integrate it to the point where it is the only way to do certain things because then his game would become incompatible for people that don't have the cam. on the Xbox 1 (before this news), he could easily implement the camera well without worrying about if his base would be split or not.

Super Elite
    If you can turn the Kinect unit all the way off, the next step is to allow you to disconnect it.
    Makes sense to me, but I hope they keep making the Kinect standard with every SKU, I want developers to support it and explore new ways to use it.

Forum Elder
    on the PS4, he can't integrate it to the point where it is the only way to do certain things because then his game would become incompatible for people that don't have the cam. on the Xbox 1 (before this news), he could easily implement the camera well without worrying about if his base would be split or not.
    i think if the likes of kojima were to implement kinect, then it could only but help getting more people to plug in kinect if they have thus far not and i'm sure MS would be encouraging him to do so.

the only problem i see is that if kinect 2.0 is not up to snuff and kojima decides to ignore it (not just him, other devs as well). i'm sure that while there are those who say they don't care at all for kinect, that they will actually use it at least once and may be pleasantly surprised.

of course, it does not help that MS have a console coming out and they have mentioned little, if anything at all of games for it. quite telling for me as regards games for the system. next week may surprise me in that regard. but i'm not hopeful on that.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver&black_Attack View Post
    If you can turn the Kinect unit all the way off, the next step is to allow you to disconnect it.
    Makes sense to me, but I hope they keep making the Kinect standard with every SKU, I want developers to support it and explore new ways to use it.
    while MS probably took the least personable approach to this, it made total sense why they did it. so even if they put it as standard, it still doesn't mean that you will have it hooked up or that you will buy it again if it breaks or that you may just end up selling it if you don't care for it.

those things would've been eliminated if they did not change this policy. so now the developers still have to guess. i mean, it's still good if they keep the bundle standard going forward but it still doesn't promise that those 50 million X1 consoles have 50 million kinects connected and ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    i think if the likes of kojima were to implement kinect, then it could only but help getting more people to plug in kinect if they have thus far not and i'm sure MS would be encouraging him to do so.

the only problem i see is that if kinect 2.0 is not up to snuff and kojima decides to ignore it (not just him, other devs as well). i'm sure that while there are those who say they don't care at all for kinect, that they will actually use it at least once and may be pleasantly surprised.

of course, it does not help that MS have a console coming out and they have mentioned little, if anything at all of games for it. quite telling for me as regards games for the system. next week may surprise me in that regard. but i'm not hopeful on that.
    i think kojima would find a way, i mean he found clever ways to use a controller port (look up how to beat psycho mantis in MGS1), kinect 2.0 seems more than enough to do some really awesome $#@! with.

but yea, it's like MS just wasn't ready. you can't sell something like this without actually showing what it can do and what it will do on launch.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk

I kind of agree to what you're saying, although personally I prefer not to have the camera bundled.

I don't understand why you feel this makes the DS4 half-assed though? It`s LED has the same main function as before, don't you agree?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I kind of agree to what you're saying, although personally I prefer not to have the camera bundled.

I don't understand why you feel this makes the DS4 half-assed though? It`s LED has the same main function as before, don't you agree?
    the DS4 has a move integrated in it. if you never intend to own an eye cam, it's a worthless feature you're paying for. i don't even know if the older cam is supported...

Forum Sage
    the DS4 has a move integrated in it. if you never intend to own an eye cam, it's a worthless feature you're paying for. i don't even know if the older cam is supported...
    Quick to call something worthless and it's not even out yet. Although, it is serving two purposes on the controller. Move integration isn't the only thing -- it does indicate which player you are, if I am not mistaken, and doesn't require the cam for that?

The DS3 has lights that indicate that too, ofcourse, they are much smaller. haha (I know....but just saying...)

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    The xbox one is not fun, it is an illusion
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Quick to call something worthless and it's not even out yet. Although, it is serving two purposes on the controller. Move integration isn't the only thing -- it does indicate which player you are, if I am not mistaken, and doesn't require the cam for that?

The DS3 has lights that indicate that too, ofcourse, they are much smaller. haha (I know....but just saying...)
    but move integration costs a lot more money than putting a light there that doesn't have motion sensing abilities.

so maybe it would've made the controller $55 instead of $59? I'm sure Sony is trying to absorb the cost there and it's better to integrate the move rather than putting it out separately but we're still paying for it one way or another, even if the cost is little. i don't mind, i actually would like the integration because it means i don't need a second controller and i'll probably end up getting the cam because kinect will bring more developer interest and that may possibly translate to porting on the PS4, whatever is possible.

i'm not saying that PS4 eye is worthless before it's even out but it's going to be neutered out the door. 1) it's not standard (which they're both not at this point anymore) but 2) it's also not a standard bundle...and we don't know at this point, maybe MS will come out with a kinect-less bundle now, there's no reason not to at some point at least.

anything moving forward it's going to be MS' choice to do it or not.

either way, the idea is that even if it's a decent cam, it's not going to be supported well, the incentive just isn't there. e.g. 2 years from now, we might have 20m PS4s out there (hypothetically speaking, calm down lol jk), how many PS4 Eye cams will be out there? 2-4 million? How many of those people are actually using it daily? How many of those have it hooked up? how many actually still have it?

Are you excited to put a motion detection feature in your game that may cost thousands of dollars?

Forum Sage
    Think of it this way, if both Kinect/Move aren't standard going forward, whoever implements it will have done so by choice and usually it's when that happens you get something good out of it.

Making it standard can help (specially in terms of encouraging more people to implement it) but when it is a deliberate choice by the developer and not a requirement, it's bound to be good -- at least the intention is there!

I see your point though. I was just poking fun.

Extreme Poster
    Think of it this way, if both Kinect/Move aren't standard going forward, whoever implements it will have done so by choice and usually it's when that happens you get something good out of it.

Making it standard can help (specially in terms of encouraging more people to implement it) but when it is a deliberate choice by the developer and not a requirement, it's bound to be good -- at least the intention is there!

I see your point though. I was just poking fun.
    hehe you do have a point. that can still happen. however, there's also another scenario. think about if the kinect/eye were mandatory...well that doesn't necessarily means that they have to put anything in there but what it will do is create more competition. if one developer does something amazing with it, others will follow or give it their best shot. whether something good comes out of that or not, i donno but the potential is there.

yes, the developer would really have to be excited about something not standard, to put out a feature for it but at the same time, many other developers that otherwise would've done something (and who knows, maybe they'll do good, the idea is that they gave it a thought) may not even want to dive in.

it's like ND...did we ever know during Crash Bandicoot days what they would've done with the post-apocalypse genre? or the treasure-hunter genre? or action/adventure games in general?

Crash Bandicoot 3 was awesome btw, those water waves were the best i'd ever seen on a PS1. No joke. in retrospect...these guys had some really talented programmers.

how's that possible on 1MB of VRAM! this game looks as good and better than a lot of mobile games! off topic but just had a nostalgic blast.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I'll just go ahead and file this under a "non-issue". There's 50 cents of transparent plastic and a multicolor diode. The controller was redesigned anyway, and there's no reason to change it back now.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]

18. Likes on the rocks likes this post
    Forum Sage
    hehe you do have a point. that can still happen. however, there's also another scenario. think about if the kinect/eye were mandatory...well that doesn't necessarily means that they have to put anything in there but what it will do is create more competition. if one developer does something amazing with it, others will follow or give it their best shot. whether something good comes out of that or not, i donno but the potential is there.

yes, the developer would really have to be excited about something not standard, to put out a feature for it but at the same time, many other developers that otherwise would've done something (and who knows, maybe they'll do good, the idea is that they gave it a thought) may not even want to dive in.

it's like ND...did we ever know during Crash Bandicoot days what they would've done with the post-apocalypse genre? or the treasure-hunter genre? or action/adventure games in general?

Crash Bandicoot 3 was awesome btw, those water waves were the best i'd ever seen on a PS1. No joke. in retrospect...these guys had some really talented programmers.

how's that possible on 1MB of VRAM! this game looks as good and better than a lot of mobile games! off topic but just had a nostalgic blast.
    Yeah, all fair points. One thing I would like to say is that, at least, by not making it standard you separate the developers who have the "drive" (so to say) to do something new and innovative from the developers who don't -- who would rather wait till someone else does it first, the followers.

The followers are rarely the ones who create hype/excitement around new technologies. Ofcourse, you're right that competition can drive that as well (if it was standard.)

Extreme Poster
    Yeah, all fair points. One thing I would like to say is that, at least, by not making it standard you separate the developers who have the "drive" (so to say) to do something new and innovative from the developers who don't -- who would rather wait till someone else does it first, the followers.

The followers are rarely the ones who create hype/excitement around new technologies. Ofcourse, you're right that competition can drive that as well (if it was standard.)
    well, one thing i'll say for sure, it's not all that bad that they're both not backing this as much as they should, Sony more so than MS...because we can save money this way and honestly it's not like MS was giving people a huge reason to begin with. Of course the potential is there, the tech demo for Kinect 2.0 is amazing, it's really impressive but the whole idea from the beginning is that if MS will take advantage of it and push it well...

i get it, they are sandwiched between two forces, ones that want the tech, ones that do not.

so what do they do? they change Ryse from a fully Kinect-enabled core game to a regular one. in one way that's cool for those that don't want the kinect, in other ways, they just axed the only game they had to show off Kinect with.

so make up your mind, be more prepared and it might have just worked. they actually showed pretty cool demos for the first kinect...it doesn't matter that it never came to fruition but maybe the potential was already there...so they could've completely blown us away with kinect 2.0 that actually would make all of those things possible. so why not go all out? weren't they banking on this as one of the key features?

so it makes me think, ok, if you're not ready then don't force it. it would've worked better if they had shown amazing stuff and shown new ways to interact/communicate with your console...that woulld've been a big jab to the compeitions. you have an amazing piece of tech, show it off!

i guess it's not so bad after all and i honestly think this is the better way now because at least this way they can lower the price and people that don't want it, don't need it. who knows if MS was really going to take advantage of it if this is how they started? and it seems like they are confirming at this point that it wasn't a juggernaut or just caving in. either way, it shows that they weren't confident themselves or maybe realized that it's too late to convince now.

i think we're still going to see awesome stuff for it but this move definitely cut off some of its life support.

21. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    How about this then: since there's mainly core gamers buying the 1. generation of consoles, how about bundling in the camera further down the road? Thus, you've got the ones 'driving intent and interest' of buying a console onboard either way.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    How about this then: since there's mainly core gamers buying the 1. generation of consoles, how about bundling in the camera further down the road? Thus, you've got the ones 'driving intent and interest' of buying a console onboard either way.
    yea that'd work well. but i would not have agreed with you before this decision was made :P

Thread Information