Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The Xbox One Can Tell When It's Overheating, and Adjusts to Fix It

So here's a cool thing the Xbox One can do: It automatically recognizes when it's overheating—probably because you're an idiot and left a pizza box on top of it—and can adjust on the fly. In fact, it's designed with extra room to make those adjustments.

In our chat with Xbox's General Manager of Console Development Leo del Castillo, I asked how Microsoft can account for the unknowns it's facing with the new design—much more Blu-ray player-ish than its predecessors, which invites people to set things on top of it. That's never really been a problem for weirdo designs like the SNES or N64, or even the concave Xbox 360.
    “We can’t prevent misuse of the product," del Castillo says, "but we can certainly anticipate it." That's done by the Xbox being aware of the temperature it's running at, and having the capacity to cool itself down in a few ways. "The way we designed the box, we don’t actually intend it to ever have to go to maximum speed under normal environmental conditions. But there is overhead. So we’ll allow the fan to go all the way up to its maximum speed and if that solves the condition without the user having to do anything."
    It goes a little further than that, though. The Xbox One actually has the ability to ramp down its power usage, so that it's using next to no power when it feels it's under total thermal duress. This keeps it from melting the plastic in its body, and also from experiencing critical overheating errors, but at the cost of performance, most likely. These are old news to PCs in general, but fairly new developments for consoles, which can't reinvent themselves as often.
    "One thing that we have more flexibility with," del Castillo says, "With the architecture of the Xbox One, is that we can dial back the power of the box considerably. We had a little less flexibility with the 360. And so basically, if we couldn’t dissipate the heat, there wasn’t a whole lot of leverage we could pull to keep the heat from being generated, so we had a limited amount of time before it just shut down. Xbox One can actually dial it back to a lower power state, so low in fact that it can in a mode that uses virtually no air flow."
    He wasn't clear about if we'd see that lowest power state in games themselves, or only in apps or other functions, like watching movies, but it's an interesting addition—one that will need to be closely monitored and balanced, because the last thing you want is to be losing framerates on your game because your Xbox One decides it doesn't want the fan to wake up. There's a give and take, and it probably won't be tinkerable for the user. In fact, it's not really clear how it'll show up at all on your end.
    "I don’t know the exact details of how it’ll show up to the user," del Castillo explains. "But we try to be as transparent to the user as possible. We’ll allow the fan to go all the way up to maximum speed. They might notice the extra noise, and that will help to self-correct the condition."
    Using the audio cue of the fan is actually a half-decent natural design. And if the usually quiet fan gets loud as hell and no one bothers to move the 24-pack of diapers from on top of the console? "If we get to the point where that is no longer enough, we have the mechanism, the interface, to deal with that," del Castillo says. That means pop-up or banner alert, probably, which sounds annoying, but it's better than your Xbox melting to death.
    http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-can-...wer-1122442616

PSU Technical Advisor
    This doesn't make any sense to me. Adjusting fan speed based on temperature is, obviously, nothing new- but saying that they can 'ramp down power at the cost of performance' is totally alien to me.

You can't just "reduce clockrate" on a console not without utterly devastating whatever game is being used on it. Where does this excess performance get drained from? The OS (dubious of this as well)?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Behold, Forza Motorsports 5 running on a hot Xbox One!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    This doesn't make any sense to me. Adjusting fan speed based on temperature is, obviously, nothing new- but saying that they can 'ramp down power at the cost of performance' is totally alien to me.

You can't just "reduce clockrate" on a console not without utterly devastating whatever game is being used on it. Where does this excess performance get drained from? The OS (dubious of this as well)?
    Well, that's why they have the engineers who do know about this type of stuff.

Forum Sage

It works just like throttling does on a pc.

PSU Technical Advisor
    But PC's have no real guaranteed performance levels that devs have to pay attention too- its an amalgamation of parts and hardware that are all different from one another. On the console space that isn't the case, so I don't know how they'd handle it when under full load with a game.

Veteran
    Recently,

News Flash: XBone GPU overclocked by 53MHz!

News Flash: XBone shuts down when overheating SDOD

Just a coincidence? Is there cloud save before SDOD?
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

8. Likes Mael Duin, mistercrow likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Oh ffs, soon we'll hear the Xbox One will be able to heal itself.

Forum Sage
    But PC's have no real guaranteed performance levels that devs have to pay attention too- its an amalgamation of parts and hardware that are all different from one another. On the console space that isn't the case, so I don't know how they'd handle it when under full load with a game.
    It seems simple to me.

Previously your console would overheat and shut down warning you to let the console cool down before attempting to use it again.

Now the console will first adjust fan speed to try to improve cooling. If that does not solve the problem, the console will likely throttle (and probably give you a warning message) to cool itself down before doing any damage to the components. Honestly the only way I see this happening is if you put the console in a poorly ventilated area, let the vents fill with dust, or play it in an area with a very high ambient temperature and little to no airflow.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post

I thought it was funny as hell.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post

Love it

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Elite Guru

MS designed the whole system as QOS aware like their patent (John Sell - Hotchip, is listed as one of the inventor)
    "Scalable multimedia computer system architecture with qos guarantees"
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information