Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover

What will happen to our international PSN accounts?

Given that certain online features will require a paid subscription I was wondering whether this will affect our international PSN accounts? Will I still be able to download demos and games from the US store and play them under my main (European) PSN handle or does that require a separate subscription?

What about online games? If I purchased Battlefield 4 on the US store with the intention to play online with my German account, would I be able to do so with just a German online subscription? Or would the online portion of the game be tied to a US account?

Would be great if you shed some light on this.
    Last edited by Wrath; 08-15-2013 at 08:03.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Given that certain online features will require a paid subscription I was wondering whether this will affect our international PSN accounts? Will I still be able to download demos and games from the US store and play them under my main (European) PSN handle or does that require a separate subscription?

What about online games? If I purchased Battlefield 4 on the US store with the intention to play online with my German account, would I be able to do so with just a German online subscription? Or would the online portion of the game be tied to a US account?

While sony hasn't really said anything about either of those topics, I think the answer would be yes for both. That is the only way that makes any sense.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Your extra accounts will still be there, and still be accessible. If you could download a demo on that free account, you can still download the demo to the machine that is registered under another account.

If your machine is registers on account A. But you bought a game on account B, only account B logging in will be able to play that game. If account A bought it, accounts A and B will be able to play the game. This has been described well. And it doesn't make a bit of difference if the accounts are different country accounts.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    If your machine is registers on account A. But you bought a game on account B, only account B logging in will be able to play that game.
    Doesn't make sense. On PS3, whatever I download from account B is also accessible via account A (except for region-locked DLC).
    Last edited by Wrath; 08-15-2013 at 14:58.

Veteran

I'm sure it'll be the same when it comes to downloading demos and stuff from your other accounts, and since a game like BF4 will now be pass free you should be able to play online on both accounts, but not for those pass locked games.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Doesn't make sense. On PS3, whatever I download from account B is also accessible via account A (except for region-locked DLC).
    Which account was the machine registered to?

This is what one of the Sony Reps (I think it was Jack Tretton on the Up at Noon IIRC) said.

A.) Any digital game purchased by a user on that users system will be playable by any other users logged into that system (i.e. Account A owns the console, Account A purchased the game, Account B can play the game on Account A's console.)

B.) Any digital game purchased by a user can be played on another users console (not registered to the user) and play the game as long as they are logged in. (i.e. Account A who purchased the game can play the game on Account B's console.)

I'm not sure what doesn't make sense about it. It may be a slight shift in policy, but I really never utilized this on the PS3 - Though I probably will on the PS4 as my son is 11 and I'll set him up on his own account and make him log in as I'm tired of him F'ng up my game progress but jumping in the middle of my playthrough.

That said the region part doesn't make a bit of difference except for where the DLC is region locked, then the account that is region locked must be the account that purchases it obviously and if it's on that users console, any account from that region can play it on that console.

Master Guru
    That's a good question. I guess we won't really know until the PS4 comes out. It would be great if everything worked out the way we want it to.

Veteran
    I think they are doing this to do away with gamesharing.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If one account on your PS4 has paid for PS+ all accounts will have access, hopefully including international accounts.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If one account on your PS4 has paid for PS+ all accounts will have access, hopefully including international accounts.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    If only it was like that for PS3...

Thread Information