Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Notplaystation One: Losing the plot in pursuit of the competition

With Xbox One, Microsoft is over-promising and under-delivering

By Josh Ong, 18 hours ago, 10:34pm

Use your < > (arrow) keys to browse more stories

inShare

There are lots of business conferences… TNW Conference US isn't one of them.
    With Microsoft’s recent revelation that it is backing down from its original commitment to release the Xbox One in 21 markets later this year, the firm is betraying a commonly accepted rule of doing business: under-promise and over-deliver.
    While the universal truth of that rule is arguable, Microsoft’s predicament is exactly the situation that the guideline is intended to avoid. No one pressured Microsoft into saying it would release the Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and Switzerland in 2013, so now that it has retracted, it is left in a worse position than if it hadn’t spoken up in the first place.
    The Xbox Leadership Team admitted that the goal of 21 markets was “an aggressive goal”, explaining that localizing the console and demand were two factors that led to the change.
    I’m all for companies setting ambitious goals, but Microsoft should never have allowed the race to compete with Sony as an excuse to make promises that it couldn’t keep. As a public company, Microsoft also has a responsibility to its investors to communicate its plans accurately.
    These kinds of backtracks are becoming all too common for the Xbox One. Some of the changes, such as dialing back on requiring Kinect to be plugged in and increasing the GPU clock speed, have been beneficial to users, but the waffling has left Microsoft looking unsure of itself.
    The most notorious change of course that Microsoft has taken with the Xbox One is its reversal of the unpopular mandatory Internet connection and used game policies. Considering the amount of negative feedback it had gotten in response to those rules, Microsoft was backed into a corner, but the changes ended up being a mixed bag. Gamers now won’t have to connect their consoles every 24 hours to play and they’ll be able to buy used games without extra DRM measures, but new digital sharing features have been removed as a result.
    Microsoft’s tendency to over-communicate its goals is contrasted against Sony’s practice of keeping quiet. For instance, Sony has said publicly that the PS4 will launch in Europe sometime this year, but it has elected not to share specific markets. It has also set the 2013 holiday season as its launch window, offering a vaguer timeframe than Microsoft’s commitment to release the new Xbox in November.
    As an Xbox One preorder customer, I’m selfishly hoping for Microsoft to succeed with its next console, but it’s becoming painfully clear that the firm is on the defensive as release day approaches. Gaming consoles are designed to entertain us, but the unique feeling of excitement and anticipation that comes with unboxing the device will fade quickly if the maker under-delivers. Hopefully Microsoft still has a few positive surprises up its sleeves.
    http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013...-the-xbox-one/

It would seem as if MS has no real gameplan with the Xbone, now. Every move they are making is to chase the tails of the PS4 and they are not executing properly in doing even that. (Again, this article is almost a full day old. Please don't get mad at me for posting. It's just a good observation that people are talking about)

2. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Please don't get mad at me for posting.
    I am so mad at you right now Lefein! LOL, j/k!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

4. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The XBone has been a train wreck from the get go. MS just seems to be stumbling all over the place with no clear vision for their console. And yeah we're so mad at you Lefein. LOL j/k.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-15-2013 at 16:18.

Apprentice
    No doubt the X1 will succeed. They're just stumbling right now and people will forget very quickly. Just be glad they didn't stick to the original plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoStylo View Post
    No doubt the X1 will succeed. They're just stumbling right now and people will forget very quickly. Just be glad they didn't stick to the original plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    I think they will succeed too. They the changes before the launch which is good. As for the article, you have to love the trash they call news over at N4G.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I think they will succeed too. They the changes before the launch which is good. As for the article, you have to love the trash they call news over at N4G.
    You have to love the trash they call news on almost EVERY website nowadays.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    You have to love the trash they call news on almost EVERY website nowadays.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2
    Indeed, but I sure as heck wouldn't go around reposting them.

Apprentice
    Maybe the trash will cool down once next gen starts.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Thread Information