Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Member

Second Screens & Games

The question I want to put out there is, do second screens matter to gamers? such as having an IPAD or other Tablets for second screen games!! tbh im gonna be blunt here, I think its nice but rather a waste of time an rather a silly move.

I know some of us don't have these tablets but using a second screen to me is taking away real console gaming for what it is meant to be I see the idea of on the go an keep up to date with the things that go on but do we really need it? its like having no real social life but having second screens & phones on the go. don't get me wrong I like to game in my own time I don't want to be around gaming 24/7 there's more to life than that an now second screens & games is coming in that means more time attached to them on the go without having to be near or on your console, would I use it personally no I would stick with my console.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I used 2 screens on my PC for few months and i did find it useful. I had the game on 1 screen and Teamspeak and/or web browser on the other meant no minimising to check who just joined the chat or the game guide pages.

But the monitors were side by side so easily seen at a glance. A phone or tablet isn't quite the same.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-15-2013 at 23:39.

Master Guru
    A second screen isn't a necessary feature but i welcome anything that brings something new to the table. I like the Wii U's second screen gameplay on the tablet. Others find it to be a hassle but at least it's something different.

PSU Live Streamer
    Not really my thing.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    When I am gaming, I prefer to be looking only at the TV very rarely glancing on the controller to make sure I am pressing the right button.
    The only time I would prefer to have a second screen if it was right next to the first one.

How annoying is it on Wii U to have to use both screens? I am sure it works well on DS, but only because both screens are right next to each other.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    When I am gaming, I prefer to be looking only at the TV very rarely glancing on the controller to make sure I am pressing the right button.
    The only time I would prefer to have a second screen if it was right next to the first one.

How annoying is it on Wii U to have to use both screens? I am sure it works well on DS, but only because both screens are right next to each other.
    pft, newb!

i jest! i jest!

but yeah, don't really see why you'd want a tablet, a controller and a TV screen to interact with. i have a Surface tablet and syncing it with anything gaming related is furthest from my mind....its not needed imo

granted, its use in the Division looked pretty cool, with that one guy controlling the drone via tablet. however, that was obviously exclusive tablet usage, and no switching to and from input and screen.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I think for VITA, I hope that they make apps (for each game that has the functionality; The Division etc) for it.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Member
    Would anyone be using the second screen for likes of Watch Dogs, BF4, TC's Division?

cant think of anyone using it more than 10mins tbh games on consoles are more in ya face an fun, second screens seem like another small feature to interact with but it isn't all that great, its nice but not what everyone likes.

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    I've got the iPad on a stand on my gaming desk so will try out the features it offers with a second screen but not overly fussed either way.

For something like Watch dogs I could image it immersing you a bit more in the game with the gadgets around you, making you a bit more of a cyber warrior controlling black outs, tapping away on the iPad calling for some kind of support, then back to the game utilising what you've just called up on the iPad.

Also interested to get my hands on with it for BF4's commander mode.

http://www.battlefield.com/uk/battle...de-trailer-bf4

So yeah, I'm definitely interested in it and will utilise it if it adds to the overall experience in a positive manner.

I just wish it would be supported on the Vita.
    Last edited by GazzaGSi; 08-16-2013 at 01:21.

Elite Guru
    Second screen gameplay can be fairly awesome on Wii U but it really needs to be built with it in mind. I wouldn't be to fussed with it unless it's built in from the get go.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I honestly see this stuff as a gimmick. It's kind of cool but not really a game changer IMO. Only thing I can see useful about it would be to look through trophies, viewing friends, et c c. Other than that I probably won't use it for the in game stuff that has been shown.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Only thing I can see useful about it would be to look through trophies, viewing friends, etc
    There's a iPhone app I use at the min that lets you do that (maybe on android too?) and is pretty cool.

Looking forward to the app that's being released with PS4 that lets you download PS store content on the go and message people on your friends list etc. Sounds like you're more into that than the second screen gaming option with a tablet.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    There's a iPhone app I use at the min that lets you do that (maybe on android too?) and is pretty cool.

Looking forward to the app that's being released with PS4 that lets you download PS store content on the go and message people on your friends list etc. Sounds like you're more into that than the second screen gaming option with a tablet.
    Sony never released it here! Last time I checked they hadn't. Might be now but I'm on android now. I know they don't have a psn app on there. But I'm pretty sure they do in Europe.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    I am getting the new Nexus 7 for my second screen!!!!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    A second screen on my 3DS and Wii U is great as its integrated into the system and is a standard. Only as a standard will second screen experiences be worthwhile in my eyes

PSN ID
    whoaduh
    I see it as a great way to play together with my wife (not a big gamer) and my son. In all three of the Uncharted games, one would have the list of treasure locations and the other would play and we would switch off telling where the next treasure will be. Stuff like that.

Thread Information