Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Newbie
    xPSYCHOPATH410x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Age
    35
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    23
    Points
    1,480 (0 Banked)

    The PS4 Hard Drive

    Has it been said anywhere what kind of hard drive will be used inside the PS4? I really wanted to go out and get a bigger hard drive I just do not know which kind to buy.

  2. #2
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    20,896
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    29,525 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yes it comes with a 500 gig hard drive.and Sony said you can upgrade it

  3. #3
    Newbie
    xPSYCHOPATH410x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Age
    35
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    23
    Points
    1,480 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Yes it comes with a 500 gig hard drive.and Sony said you can upgrade it
    Yes I know that but they never have actually stated what kind of hard drive. If you wanted to buy one to replace the stock one that comes with the PS4 what kind would you buy is my question.

  4. #4
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    20,896
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    29,525 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It will be the same. Hard drive in the ps3 a lap top hard drive 5400 rpm

  5. #5
    Newbie
    xPSYCHOPATH410x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Age
    35
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    23
    Points
    1,480 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    It will be the same. Hard drive in the ps3 a lap top hard drive 5400 rpm
    Awesome. Was there a limit to how big it could be GB wise? I never replaced my PS3 hard drive. I want to make sure I have plenty of space as I want to buy more games digitally next gen. Awesome avatar BTW.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    daLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,705
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    58,656 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by xPSYCHOPATH410x View Post
    Awesome. Was there a limit to how big it could be GB wise? I never replaced my PS3 hard drive. I want to make sure I have plenty of space as I want to buy more games digitally next gen. Awesome avatar BTW.
    My guess is it'll be a SATA 2-3, and you should easily be able to upgrade to at least 1 TB. What I'm more curious about is, would be great if we could upgrade to maybe a 512gb SSD lol but it would require the PS4 to run on SSD from the start.


  7. #7
    Forum Guru
    jlippone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,824
    Rep Power
    86
    Points
    10,258 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    My guess is it'll be a SATA 2-3, and you should easily be able to upgrade to at least 1 TB. What I'm more curious about is, would be great if we could upgrade to maybe a 512gb SSD lol but it would require the PS4 to run on SSD from the start.
    Ps3 supported a really huge drives, filesystem itself could handle files/drives in petabyte range.
    SSDs should work fine. (they do on ps3..)

    I'm hoping that the 500GB drive on ps4 would be hybrid, should give nice boost on some things.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

  8. #8
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,978
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,900 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Need to know what the maximum physical size of the drives are.
    PS3 its 9.6mm high which means we cannot get anything larger than 1TB, currently 2TB drives and larger are around 15mm high I hope PS4 has enough room for a drive this size.

    Last edited by keefy; 08-16-2013 at 10:54.

  9. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
  10. #9
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,007
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,916 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Need to know what the maximum physical size of the drives are.
    PS3 its 9.6mm high which means we cannot get anything larger than 1TB, currently 2TB drives and larger are around 15mm high I hope PS4 has enough room for a drive this size.

    Pretty sure it will be a 9.5mm drive.

  11. #10
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,533
    Rep Power
    83
    Points
    20,704 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    If they support externals then I'll be happy. I would be even more happier if they support externals via the network, then I would have 8TB to play with.

  12. #11
    Elite Guru
    Jabjabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,403
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    5,253 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    If they support externals then I'll be happy. I would be even more happier if they support externals via the network, then I would have 8TB to play with.

    Not going to happen with the network stuff but we can all dream! I wish we could do that.

  13. #12
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,913
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    151,524 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    If they support externals then I'll be happy. I would be even more happier if they support externals via the network, then I would have 8TB to play with.
    Do you have any redundancy with that 8TB of space?! I have a QNAP NAS server with 2 x 2TB drives in a RAID 1 array, I couldn't imagine having 8TB!!!

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  14. #13
    Apprentice
    chriharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GREAT SOUTHERN LAND
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Posts
    376
    Rep Power
    27
    Points
    6,658 (0 Banked)

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Not going to happen with the network stuff but we can all dream! I wish we could do that.
    If Nintendo can do it today, no reason why PS4 can't do it tomorrow!! it's a definite option with USB 3.0 it could happen.

    Sony will more than likely get you to reformat your HDD in a special format only PS4 can read just like what Nintendo currently do with Wii U.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

  15. #14
    Apprentice
    XtraTrstrL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Posts
    339
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    4,813 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Ps3 supported a really huge drives, filesystem itself could handle files/drives in petabyte range.
    SSDs should work fine. (they do on ps3..)

    I'm hoping that the 500GB drive on ps4 would be hybrid, should give nice boost on some things.
    I have thought about that in the past, a hybrid ssd would really be nice, and is nearly the same price as a regular HDD. They have a real good SATA III(6GB/s) 64mb cache 1TB hybrid SSD for $117 at Amazon that I've been looking at for awhile now. I'd wait to hear exact details about the PS4 HDD first though, before buying an HDD to replace it.

  16. #15
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,913
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    151,524 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    I have thought about that in the past, a hybrid ssd would really be nice, and is nearly the same price as a regular HDD. They have a real good SATA III(6GB/s) 64mb cache 1TB hybrid SSD for $117 at Amazon that I've been looking at for awhile now. I'd wait to hear exact details about the PS4 HDD first though, before buying an HDD to replace it.
    That is the same hybrid HDD that I am looking at as well for the PS4, and like you and I waiting to hear more info before I make the move...

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  17. #16
    Newbie
    Pedal_Bike_Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    375 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    My guess is it'll be a SATA 2-3, and you should easily be able to upgrade to at least 1 TB. What I'm more curious about is, would be great if we could upgrade to maybe a 512gb SSD lol but it would require the PS4 to run on SSD from the start.
    Agreed, SATA 2 or 3, hopefully 3. Yeah you will be able to stick an SSD in there, got one in my PS3, getting a 500GB ssd for my PS4 asap.

    If anyone's curious, the SSD in PS3 produces mixed results in terms of speed improvements. In all cases, it's faster than any HDD I've had on there, including a large 750GB 3 inch 7200rpm drive I hooked up yours ago.

    It varies however depending on game, some games don't use the drive much, so it falls to your bluray drive. When playing BF3 though, I'm always first onto the map.

    If anyones ever tried to render a 3D double resolution photo on GT5 before, you will notice it can take a few minutes, this is due to the game shifting most of its components from ram to the drive. When I compared these, the SSD was twice as fast as the HDD, taking the time down from over 4 minutes, to just 2 minutes.

    With the PS3 using only a standard SATA connection, the speed benefits from an SSD in a SATA 2 or 3 connection, are going to be immense.

  18. #17
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,913
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    151,524 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    My guess is it'll be a SATA 2-3, and you should easily be able to upgrade to at least 1 TB. What I'm more curious about is, would be great if we could upgrade to maybe a 512gb SSD lol but it would require the PS4 to run on SSD from the start.
    PS4 will have SATA 3, the chipset that is used for USB 3.0 (which the system has) is the same chipset that controls the SATA 3 interface, so since it has USB 3.0 it will have SATA 3 onboard, which is nice!

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  19. Likes XtraTrstrL likes this post
  20. #18
    Veteran
    daLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,705
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    58,656 (0 Banked)
    Maybe it will actually be some sort of hybrid that will allow the PS4 to boot up games right from where you left off in a matter of seconds, sort of like the way new laptops boot up in less than 10 seconds with SSDs.


  21. #19
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,913
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    151,524 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Maybe it will actually be some sort of hybrid that will allow the PS4 to boot up games right from where you left off in a matter of seconds, sort of like the way new laptops boot up in less than 10 seconds with SSDs.
    That is the same thing that I am wondering, they could store OS related stuff on the flash part of the drive which will have fast transfer times, and then regular game data on the platters.

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  22. #20
    Newbie
    xPSYCHOPATH410x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    PSN ID
    xPSYCHOPATH410x
    Age
    35
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    23
    Points
    1,480 (0 Banked)
    Wow you guys are great with all this discussion. I am kind of a novice with all this hard drive lingo so once PS4 comes out of something concrete is learned I will ask again and hopefully you fine people can direct me what to buy. I want fast and big storage. Really want to buy most games digitally so big storage will be a must. I do have a WD 3TB USB 3.0 external hard drive my GF got me a few Christmases ago. But I would rather have something internal in the PS4.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.