Forum Elder

Xbox One vs. PS4 Graphics Showdown: The Rematch...

I wrote a post a while back comparing the graphical capabilities of the next gen systems, and (spoilers!) argued that while the PS4 had an edge on paper, it wouldn't necessarily make a significant difference in actual in-game visuals.

Now, new info has come to light, and I am no longer convinced the PS4 is the more powerful of the two consoles. On the contrary, the playing field is much more level than previously thought, and the Xbox One may even have a slight edge over Sony's machine.
    full post @

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This article is bull$#@!.

Xbox One's GPU went from 1.2TF to 1.3TF with the upclock vs PS4's 1.84TF. The only 'edge' the Xbox One GPU has now with that speed bump is poly output, probably. Even then not drastically. Still has a lot less CU's, ROP's and ALU's.

CPU stuff isn't really 'news', we (anyone following the hardware of the two boxes) knew this already.

The ESRAM fluff is just that- PR fluff. Under a select set of, improbable, circumstances it can reach those numbers. But that's very unlikely. In practical terms I'd say that the majority of the time the PS4 has a significant bandwidth advantage which doesn't complicate development.

The OS RAM stuff has since been revised. PS4 has 5 to 5.5GB for gaming + 512MB swap file. So the memory situation is 'as good or better' in favor for PS4.

Given that both systems are GCN GPU's (the latest AMD architecture at the present) and that the PS4 GPU is simply 'better' outright, there's going to be a performance deficit. And unlike with PS3 there is no mitigating pool of hard-to-reach performance to bridge this gap. They're both using the same AMD CPU's, likely with very few differences between them.

So no "Cell magic" to make Xbox One perform better.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 08-16-2013 at 13:56.

3. Likes Demi_God , VayMasters86 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol we resorting to posting personal blogs of nobody's now?

...Day dreams

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    the thing about the GPU is way off...just saying.

if GPU clock speed were in any way significant; 1) AMD would be the dominant GPU vendor and 2) the HD 7770 would be quicker than the GTX titan

the GPU's are two different classes. Simple.

however, the overarching story is that the difference wont be that big, but this was never brought into question was it? on paper, the two have been similar since last year...more or less.

but its as the guy even says:
    Most likely, game developers themselves will be a much bigger variable in their games' graphics than the machines they're running on.
    all reports from third parties indicate PS4 being the console to work with.

and to add to that, Sony have the better First Party line up.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    This article is bull$#@!.

Xbox One's GPU went from 1.2TF to 1.3TF with the upclock vs PS4's 1.84TF. The only 'edge' the Xbox One GPU has now with that speed bump is poly output, probably. Even then not drastically. Still has a lot less CU's, ROP's and ALU's.

CPU stuff isn't really 'news', we (anyone following the hardware of the two boxes) knew this already.

The ESRAM fluff is just that- PR fluff. Under a select set of, improbable, circumstances it can reach those numbers. But that's very unlikely. In practical terms I'd say that the majority of the time the PS4 has a significant bandwidth advantage which doesn't complicate development.

The OS RAM stuff has since been revised. PS4 has 5 to 5.5GB for gaming + 512MB swap file. So the memory situation is 'as good or better' in favor for PS4.

Given that both systems are GCN GPU's (the latest AMD architecture at the present) and that the PS4 GPU is simply 'better' outright, there's going to be a performance deficit. And unlike with PS3 there is no mitigating pool of hard-to-reach performance to bridge this gap. They're both using the same AMD CPU's, likely with very few differences between them.
    Lol bro it's a blog from an ign reader, just throwing numbers together. This poster got it right

Sorry, drones, but this has nothing to do with positivity or negativity and everything to do with not lying. You can like the Xbone for its (frankly mediocre) launch lineup, even more gimmicky Kinect wagglan, the prospect of watching TV while playing a game (believing the human brain is even capable of such multitasking) or the new controller or matchmaking (the last two being the only good things about the whole cancerous package) but you can't be wrong about how tech works or flat out lie about it in order to claim that both consoles are at parity, nor can you be inaccurate about DirectX 11 implementation on the PS4 in order to create a mythical advantage the Xbone might have several years down the line. $#@!ing hell, a two minute Google search totally busted that one.You can have different opinions. That's fine. What you cannot do is lie egregiously to justify your own fanboyism, because you will be called out for it. Luckily this sort of stupidity and self-delusion seems to be confined to IGN blogs and Reddit, which says a lot about the intelligence of their users.

7. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    I'm glad it wasn't an official article by IGN. Such drivel.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I'm glad it wasn't an official article by IGN. Such drivel.
    When it's hard to find good news, I guess its OK to dig where ever you can

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

Let the xbone fanboys keep dreaming. The same ones that claim to not care about power are the same ones constantly trying to defend and post reassurance articles. I love it.

11. Likes Demi_God , mistercrow likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    The old graphics showdown comes early this cycle. I see this has succeeded in getting some members all riled up. It's subjective guys, no need to get heated over it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    LMAO! Using a blog from some random Xbox fan on IGN? Talk about desperation.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    The old graphics showdown comes early this cycle. I see this has succeeded in getting some members all riled up. It's subjective guys, no need to get heated over it.
    I was mad because I thought IGN actually published this article.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I don't think this thread needs to go any further so I'ma close it up. If this offends anyone, feel free to send me a PM.

Thread Information