Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style

Is the Nokia Lumia 1020 a good camera phone as they say?

I was thinking of getting a Iphone, Samsung galaxy, or this phone. If the camera is good as they say, then I'll opt for the windows phone.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Im curious as well.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Im curious as well.
    I'm watching some reviews and they say it's camera is on par with professional cameras.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If u want a good camera. Get a camera.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    If u want a good camera. Get a camera.
    I would agree usually, however, this is suppose to be a amazing camera and phone. So I can kill two birds with one stone.

Supreme Veteran
    Th camere bit sticks out the back so never lays flat, might rock a bit as well if ever used it straight on a desk.

Master Guru
    Th camere bit sticks out the back so never lays flat, might rock a bit as well if ever used it straight on a desk.
    I seen that. I think that little con is worth the camera if it's that good. I wish they would've figured a way to hide that better.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    That titlefont gave me cancer

9. Likes bash , Lebowski , Silvy likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Yeah, I got eye-sight AIDS due to the title. Dafuq Silvy, I had to squint.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    That titlefont gave me cancer
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Yeah, I got eye-sight AIDS due to the title. Dafuq Silvy, I had to squint.
    I changed it, you $#@!s. Tell me your feedback.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvy View Post
    I'm watching some reviews and they say it's camera is on par with professional cameras.
    Reviews like that are overselling it. A 35mm camera is way better than any 1mm camera no matter the technology. But the Nokia cameras are pretty good. I've almost thought of switching just for the good camera.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Well if you wanna buy it because it's a good camera phone, then get this. 41 megapixels? Holy $#@!! That's more than most DSLR's. I wouldn't rely on the camera stability features. That phone is so small, you will have shaky cam videos no matter how hard you try, but there's always a way. You should get it. Or get a DSLR.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Megapixels are a meaningless measure for the quality of the pictures. More megapixels just results in more obvious artifacts if the camera isn't any good.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Reviews like that are overselling it. A 35mm camera is way better than any 1mm camera no matter the technology. But the Nokia cameras are pretty good. I've almost thought of switching just for the good camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Well if you wanna buy it because it's a good camera phone, then get this. 41 megapixels? Holy $#@!! That's more than most DSLR's. I wouldn't rely on the camera stability features. That phone is so small, you will have shaky cam videos no matter how hard you try, but there's always a way. You should get it. Or get a DSLR.
    That's what I thought, Foraeli. I knew they had good cameras. I agree. I just thought with the way tech was going that they found a way. Bwahaha.

Dre, I agree on the stability. However, It doesn't take long to take a photo. So you guys agree this a superb camera I read the reviews and I haven't seen one negative one also.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Megapixels are a meaningless measure for the quality of the pictures. More megapixels just results in more obvious artifacts if the camera isn't any good.
    Very true as well. I'm surprised there's no mention of RAW picture mode, or unless that is just it. Silvy, this is good for high quality pictures. If you only care about that and aren't planning on taking pics of the milky way at night or artsy-fartsy photos, then go with this. But if you are, get a DSLR. Preferably from Canon.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    If you want a phone with a good camera you should wait for Sony Honami with the new image sensor.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    Honestly, you may as well get the Xperia Z or HTC One. Both have fantastic cameras and both run on Android. I wouldn't get a Windows phone as there are next to no apps available for it. Don't get a Galaxy. They are plasticy, cheap and are full of bloatware.
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvy View Post
    Ummmm, no. Not even close.

The Nokia is a good camera for a smart phone. It will NEVER touch what a proper DSLR can do though.

Here is a night shot of the Nokia Lumina...

And here is a night shot from my Canon DSLR...

The Nokia is a good camera for a phone, but it's still just a smart phone camera with very limited funtionality and features. It's not a DSLR, it cannot zoom, capture depth of field, take macro shots, or perform any of the other great functions of a proper DSLR. It can take good photos under the right conditions, but take it out of the comfort zone for camera phones and it comes up lacking.

I just posted a few pics in the recently taken pictures thread. Check Google and see if you can find comperable sample photos from the Nokia.

Elite Member

Full size those show the limitations of a camera phone very well. Especially the low light shots which show a LOT of noise. Extremely grainy skies.

It's a great snapshot camera. It takes pretty good pictures when used as a point and shoot camera, but it falls on it's face once you take it out of that point and shoot comfort zone and ask it to do something more planned and artistic. There is an unacceptable amount of noise in low light shots. No pro photographer would ever accept shots that grainy, not even from the cheapest entry level DSLR.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    Since the author asked about a phone and not a dslr camera let me help 41 megapixels Carl zeis lens huge aperture for a phone. Other than being attached to a windows phone this thing is awesome. And the build quality for the lumia line is great if you hit your friends galaxy s4 with a lumia the S4 would break

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Supreme Veteran
    Using a phone to actually make phone calls is so last century.

Master Guru
    Using a phone to actually make phone calls is so last century.
    It's not like that. I just looking for the a good mixture of both of them. I didn't feel like buying both of them. It's still a good phone, I can justify buying it for that. I just hate to but two things. Thanks, guys. Thanks for the comments. I'll rep all for helping.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Full size those show the limitations of a camera phone very well. Especially the low light shots which show a LOT of noise. Extremely grainy skies.

It's a great snapshot camera. It takes pretty good pictures when used as a point and shoot camera, but it falls on it's face once you take it out of that point and shoot comfort zone and ask it to do something more planned and artistic. There is an unacceptable amount of noise in low light shots. No pro photographer would ever accept shots that grainy, not even from the cheapest entry level DSLR.
    No dslr has a 1/1.5 sensor. That is better than pretty much all other point and shoot camera's though. Which is what smartphone cameras compete against. And considering most pics will be downsized and shared across social media websites, most image flaws won't be an issue.

Thread Information