Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Xbox One Cloud - Implications on gaming and why it matters

A good read. Cloud is gonna be huge.

http://videogamesandnews.com/xbox-on...the-real-deal/

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Interesting read - Horribly inaccurate title - Not sure why the changed it from what the URL name of the thread is "xbox-one-cloud-a-pr-gimmick-or-the-real-deal" - It was nothing about MS: Cloud vs Sony: Cloud it was about how the term Cloud is used to generalize and what MS is doing with dedicated servers in their cloud structure.

Soldier 95B
    Indeed some good information there Substance, about how the MS cloud will benefit us. But the article is a horrible read. Poor poor poor grammar, unprofessional (other than the quotes from developers). Does everything think they are a journalist now?

I am glad MS is embracing the cloud. The little tease we had with it on the Xbox 360 needs to be dramatically more accessible, feature rich and improved.

Forum Elder
    nice read and a couple of canny videos.
    If Microsoft’s Cloud is nothing more than a PR Gimmick. Then it has to be one of the largest gimmicks in recorded history. Adding up to a total that goes well beyond $10 Billion so far. It sounds as if this could actually be a system that could provide a lot of flexibility for the future of the Xbox One. And if dedicated servers are available to all developers. That is probably going to be a nice selling point for both game developers and players.
    crikies, that is a lot of money getting used to develop the cloud.

5. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    how is it a nice selling point when both consoles will have it?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    It's only PR though...lol

Sony definitely won't have all those servers for sure. It's possible that they could end up renting from MS azure themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    nice read and a couple of canny videos.

crikies, that is a lot of money getting used to develop the cloud.
    yea, but it's only PR. That money was spent on just advertising for the cloud...lol
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 08-17-2013 at 22:35.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Both consoles are going to have the exact same cloud features, power, dev availability and pricing?

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Both consoles are going to have the exact same cloud features, power, dev availability and pricing?
    Lol dev availability

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It's only PR though...lol Sony definitely won't have all those servers for sure. It's possible that they could end up renting from MS azure themselves.
    LMAO! How do you know how many servers Sony will have? And Sony already bought their own cloud service so why would they need to rent servers from MS? Where do you guys come up with this stuff? lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-18-2013 at 01:36.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    LMAO! How do you know how many servers Sony will have? And Sony already bought their own cloud service so why would they need to rent servers from MS? Where do you guys come up with this stuff? lol

There you go right there. If they had to buy Gaikai then you already know that they weren't investing in this stuff the way MS has. Sony's cloud service is not the same as Azure. There is no way sony will come up with 300,000 servers. That is gonna take years and billions of dollars invested. They may not need to if all they are doing is streaming. They won't be able to match azure. They aren't capable of the investment right now.

Extreme Poster
    It's only PR though...lol

Sony definitely won't have all those servers for sure. It's possible that they could end up renting from MS azure themselves.

yea, but it's only PR. That money was spent on just advertising for the cloud...lol
    ok i get it. well, we'll have to see...so far i haven't heard any dev saying that they won't have dedicated servers on the PS4 version because of this issue. maybe MS is right, maybe not.
    speaking specifically about dedicated servers.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    this whole part right here is silly and wishful thinking at best. You know, there comes a point where you just need to sit back and take a few deep breaths before saying something like that.

There is no way Sony is going to rent dedicated servers through microsoft. And quite seriously I'm thinking people are overhyping this Azure just because of the name, that's all. I've seen stuff like this happen before in games where a name sticks out and people get hyped up only for the game to actually suck once the gameplay is shown.

You are making way to much out of MS cloud service over every single cloud service out in the computer world. It's silly

14. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    There you go right there. If they had to buy Gaikai then you already know that they weren't investing in this stuff the way MS has. Sony's cloud service is not the same as Azure. There is no way sony will come up with 300,000 servers. That is gonna take years and billions of dollars invested. They may not need to if all they are doing is streaming. They won't be able to match azure. They aren't capable of the investment right now.
    Oh brother. I think your just buying into MS cloud PR hyperbole just a bit too much. Time to stop drinking the MS koolaid and come back down to earth bro. And as for Sony renting MS Azure servers, thats really reaching. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-18-2013 at 04:39.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    this whole part right here is silly and wishful thinking at best. You know, there comes a point where you just need to sit back and take a few deep breaths before saying something like that.
    Not saying that they won't have their own cloud but they won't have as many servers. It's not impossible but highly unlikely.

There is no way Sony is going to rent dedicated servers through microsoft. And quite seriously I'm thinking people are overhyping this Azure just because of the name, that's all. I've seen stuff like this happen before in games where a name sticks out and people get hyped up only for the game to actually suck once the gameplay is shown.
    Cloud computing isn't hype. All the bigs corps like google, facebook have it too. As for sony renting servers from MS it's a long shot but never say never.

You are making way to much out of MS cloud service over every single cloud service out in the computer world. It's silly
    I don't understand what you are talking about. It's not like i just made up something...lol I know there are more cloud services out there but azure is definitely one of the top ones.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Not saying that they won't have their own cloud but they won't have as many servers. It's not impossible but highly unlikely.

Cloud computing isn't hype. All the bigs corps like google, facebook have it too. As for sony renting servers from MS it's a long shot but never say never.

I don't understand what you are talking about. It's not like i just made up something...lol I know there are more cloud services out there but azure is definitely one of the top ones.
    Based on?

Extreme Poster
    yea, i wanted to ask the same. is it due to the 300k servers? what's the criteria there?

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Based on?
    Because it's MS. Did i get that right, sub?

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Amazon, Akamai, Rackspace.....there dozens of services out there as good or better. But it doesn't matter. Sony isn't touting the cloud as some amazing feature that is going to change water movement and crap like that. Cloud will be used for what it is meant to be used for. Online matchmaking, storage, redundancy, etc.

Sorry, I don't buy for one second that a cloud service is going to affect in-game experience one bit.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol dev availability

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    So developers have the same access to the number of servers and pricing on both platforms? That's cool.

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    So developers have the same access to the number of servers and pricing on both platforms? That's cool.
    Yep.

Xbox One Cloud VS PS4 Cloud

Winner: Both..or neither
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Based on?
    http://gigaom.com/2012/03/14/amazon-...oud-computing/

MS cloud is more flexible than most of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    see above link sport.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 08-18-2013 at 15:29.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    http://gigaom.com/2012/03/14/amazon-...oud-computing/

MS cloud is more flexible than most of the others.
    Where do you get that it's more flexible? It doesn't say anything of that sort in that link.

All that link proved is that MS is competing with other cloud services out there.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 08-18-2013 at 16:11.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    Where do you get that it's more flexible? It doesn't say anything of that sort in that link.
    because it's doing more now if you look at the fact that it will be adding 45 million xbox live subscribers.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    those are subscribers but it's nothing to even brag about. The fact that it's holding that many people doesn't mean squat. The only thing that sticks out for this cloud service is that they are using it for dedicated servers. Just like other cloud based services can use it for. LMAO

If they didn't have the 45 million subscribers on there you wouldn't notice any difference at all because it doesn't effect any gamer out there. Holy guacamole o.O
    Last edited by Demi_God; 08-18-2013 at 16:29.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Yep, thats pretty much it right there.

Thread Information