Latest PSU headlines:

Soldier 95B

Thumbs up NPD Games: July 2013

Looks like the Xbox exclusive Minecraft does retail sales domination too. Over 8 million copies now. Crikey.

1. NCAA Football 14 (360, PS3)
    2. Minecraft (360)
    3. The Last of Us (PS3)
    4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, NWU, PC)
    5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
    6. Far Cry 3 (360, PS3, PC)
    7. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
    8. Injustice: Gods Among Us (360, PS3, NWU)
    9. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, NWU, PSP, PC)
    10. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (360, Wii, NDS, PS3, 3DS, NWU, PSV, PC)
    NCAA Football 14 was the #1 best-selling game software in July, according to recently-released NPD sales charts. Although this is a strong debut, the NPD reports that its total sales were slightly below the debut sales of last year's iteration, NCAA Football 13. NCAA Football 14 was the only new game launched in July to chart in the July 2013 software chart, even though more new games overall launched in July 2013 than in July 2012.

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition rose to second place on the chart, heralding a month in which recent games industry trends remained largely stable. Most of the NPD sales chart this month is comprised of games returning from last month in slightly different positions: Call of Duty: Black Ops II in fourth place, Battlefield 3 in seventh, Injustice: Gods Among Us in eighth, and NBA 2K13 in ninth. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes crept back up into tenth place after a month off of the charts.

The only real surprise in the July sales charts is Far Cry 3 reappearing in sixth place after four months out of the top ten. This seems to be the result of GameStop dropping the game's price to $20 for a number of weeks in July. Although it didn't chart in the top ten, NPD reports that the three-year-old Grand Theft Auto IV Complete Collection on Xbox 360 has experienced a surge of sales. This seems to be the result of players trying to "catch up" with GTAIV ahead of the September launch of Grand Theft Auto V.

The industry contraction continues, with total video game physical sales down 19% year-over-year to $443 million. The hardest hit category was new hardware sales, which were down 34% to $99.4 million. This is to be expected in the months leading up to new consoles launching. The Xbox 360 remained the best-selling home console for its thirty-first consecutive month (Nintendo's portable 3DS system led overall for the third straight month). That said, the NPD reports that the 3DS was the only platform to show sales growth in July.

As always, the strongest industry category was accessories, where sales were down only 3% to $133.4 million. NPD reports that this July is the strongest July on record for sales of game point and subscription cards. While total game launches were up in July 2013, fewer of those games were launching at retail than in previous years. Gamers who usually buy at retail seem to be seeking out digital content now, but prefer to do so after purchasing point cards at retail.

Sales of new video game software, not counting PC sales, was down 19% to 210.1 million. Counting PC game sales, the category was down 20% to $222.3 million. The top ten best-selling games for July 2013 combined sold 10% fewer units than the combined July 2012 top ten, but represented a larger percentage of all July 2013 sales. The NPD's figures do not factor in digital sales, subscription fees, or spending on microtransactions. Factoring these in, the games industry did just under $1.2 billion in business in July 2013.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Low price and a bunch of followers. I have three copies of it lol. All digital though.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Low price and a bunch of followers. I have three copies of it lol. All digital though.
    We just have one copy on Xbox. Any digital titles, my son and I just download them on all the consoles at home, and they are all playable by either of our gold accounts no matter who bought the game. That is nice.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    We just have one copy on Xbox. Any digital titles, my son and I just download them on all the consoles at home, and they are all playable by either of our gold accounts no matter who bought the game. That is nice.
    Wait, did I screw up here and buy three copies of that damned game? I only have two gold accounts, on two different 360's. Could a single purchase be playable on all three consoles?

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Minecraft has ranked in cash.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Wait, did I screw up here and buy three copies of that damned game? I only have two gold accounts, on two different 360's. Could a single purchase be playable on all three consoles?
    My son bought Minecraft for Xbox 360 on one of our 3 consoles. He logged onto the other two, downloaded it from his history, and now I can play them with my gold account. I assume it is because his gamertag is also on those Xbox 360's and it can see his profile is on there, even though I am playing on mine. It works that way for us for all of our digital content including games on demand, as well as DLC for COD.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    My son bought Minecraft for Xbox 360 on one of our 3 consoles. He logged onto the other two, downloaded it from his history, and now I can play them with my gold account. I assume it is because his gamertag is also on those Xbox 360's and it can see his profile is on there, even though I am playing on mine. It works that way for us for all of our digital content including games on demand, as well as DLC for COD.
    I'll try it. Thanks for the info.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    NCAA 14 is actually a pretty good game this year. Glad I picked it up (sans the freezing issues though).

TLOU still doing well despite not being an established previous title/franchise. On the console that doesn't advertise as much . Must be that word of mouth.

Surprised Animal Crossing isn't higher or number 1 tbh.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Thread Information