Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style

NYPD makes largest gun bust in NYC history

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ICES/130819896

A pair of gunrunners smuggled firearms into New York City by hiding them in luggage they carried on discount buses that offered cheap fares and lesser odds of getting caught, authorities said Monday.

An undercover city police officer posing as a gun broker for criminal customers bought 254 weapons from the men in dozens of transactions since last year— the largest gun seizures in the city in recent memory. One of the guns was an assault rifle that was disassembled and transported in a girlfriend's zebra-striped bag, authorities said.

The alleged smugglers, Walter Walker and Earl Campbell, were among 19 people arrested in New York and in North Carolina and South Carolina—states where the guns originated—as the result of a 10-month investigation. Also charged was an aspiring rapper from Brooklyn.

Messrs. Walker and Campbell were arrested earlier this month by local police in their home states, authorities said. The names of their defense attorneys were not immediately available.

New York Police Department officials and prosecutors announced details of the case on Monday, citing it as another example of a persistent black market in which firearms from the South can sell for three times their original price in the city. New York has some of the nation's strictest gun-control measures and a mayor who has crusaded for tougher laws in other states.

"There is no doubt that the seizure of these guns has saved lives," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at a news conference.

Wiretap evidence showed that sellers in the Carolinas knew the weapons were destined for New York, said Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget Brennan.

"Perhaps the two most disturbing aspects of the gun-trafficking operation were the simplicity of the business model, and the complete indifference of the gun suppliers to the mayhem their actions would cause here in New York City," Ms. Brennan said. "The marketing strategy was buy low, sell high and keep a low profile."

The gun case was a spinoff of a drug investigation in Brooklyn that turned up Instagram photos of handguns and wads of cash posted by the rapper. Wiretap and other evidence led investigators to Mr. Walker, 29, of Sanford, N.C. and Mr. Campbell, 24, of Rock Hill, S.C., who were smuggling guns separately but using the same middleman in New York City, authorities said.

The two tapped a loose network of suppliers in their hometowns, authorities said. Some guns were obtained on the black market, while others were bought from gun dealers using straw buyers to get around one-gun-a-month restrictions.

"The problem is that the gun laws passed now, so it's like now I can only buy a gun from a gun store every 30 days," Mr. Campbell complained in one conversation, according to an indictment. "So I had to, like, pay different people to keep buying different guns."

Before heading to New York, Mr. Campbell would get photos of the guns his suppliers were offering and send the images to the undercover officer, authorities said. Both defendants would travel to the city carrying a dozen or more handguns, rifles and shotguns in bags that were stowed in luggage compartments of Chinatown-based carriers also favored by drug couriers, investigators said.

One of the discount bus companies charges $60 one-way from Raleigh, N.C., to New York. The fare is about half that charged by Greyhound, which, unlike the Chinatown buses, requires identification for boarding.

Walker met two times last year with the middleman and the undercover officer at the rapper's Brooklyn recording studio to sell the undercover firearms, the indictment said. He also alleged sold weapons to the undercover in April in Manhattan.

In January, the undercover officer met with Mr. Campbell and his girlfriend, who was carrying assault rifle parts in her zebra-striped suitcase, authorities said. The girlfriend struggled to assemble the weapon in the backseat of a car by using a YouTube instructional video she called up on her smartphone, investigators said. When she failed, the undercover bought the pieces anyway for $1,100, they said.

Wow. That's like something you would most likely see in a movie.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 08-19-2013 at 22:22.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Dayum. Why does my state have to be mentioned.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Must take some guts to do undercover stuff like this, gotta respect them

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I only did one undercover job, and it wasn't anything nearly as developed as this. I wish I could have been involved in something this deep.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Obviously someone has to do the job but it's such a crazy dangerous job when you get involved with something that is this big. Not only that but I wonder how many more smuggling gun runs these people have done. Since they are busted now I'm curious to see how this will effect...well...anything. And if they can link them to past gun smugglings.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 08-19-2013 at 22:44.

Superior Member
    My dad was saved by undercover cops. In NY too, he went to a bar then wanted to go to a candy shop lol. So he went there and all these gang members came up to him, undercover white cops came out of nowhere and said "freeze!". I really like how there are so many undercover cops in mosques around this country and whenever they buy a "bomb" or "grenades", ect. Its always a fake one and from an undercover cop inside the muslim community.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    i am really crap t lying. Even when its prank on a friend I cant help laughing or something. Probably e a crap poker player as well.

Last edited by keefy; 08-19-2013 at 23:02.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by MossadAgentO View Post
    My dad was saved by undercover cops. In NY too, he went to a bar then wanted to go to a candy shop lol. So he went there and all these gang members came up to him, undercover white cops came out of nowhere and said "freeze!". I really like how there are so many undercover cops in mosques around this country and whenever they buy a "bomb" or "grenades", ect. Its always a fake one and from an undercover cop inside the muslim community.
    Not sure why you have to weave that "the muslims did it" stuff into every post man.

Anyways it's good these illegal weapons are off the streets now, however it's propbably just the tip of an iceberg :\

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Not sure why you have to weave that "the muslims did it" stuff into every post man.

Anyways it's good these illegal weapons are off the streets now, however it's propbably just the tip of an iceberg :\
    I was refering to the muslims or arabic speaking people who work for the FBI / homeland security that are foiling every plot against America... its a good thing

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MossadAgentO View Post
    I was refering to the muslims or arabic speaking people who work for the FBI / homeland security that are foiling every plot against America... its a good thing
    make a topic about it and stop derailing my topic over that stuff.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I guess they seen The Division and went maybe we should look into this
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage

Why are the Jews buying all these guns?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

14. Likes Beast of Bourbon likes this post

Thread Information