Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Well, the good thing about it is, they can always give that ram back to games later. If they gave 7gb to games now, then at some point realized they'd need 1.25gb ram for all the features they want, they'd be screwed. If they allocate 2-2.5gb now for OS, and later on realize they'll never need more than 1.25gb, they can just give back .75-1.25gb to games.
    That is why I don't understand why people are freaking out about the reserved amount for the OS, over time they will probably release more of that game back to games, just look at the PS3 and how the memory footprint of the OS shrunk over time, the same thing is going to happen here...better safe than sorry!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

2. Likes mini E likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Well, the good thing about it is, they can always give that ram back to games later. If they gave 7gb to games now, then at some point realized they'd need 1.25gb ram for all the features they want, they'd be screwed. If they allocate 2-2.5gb now for OS, and later on realize they'll never need more than 1.25gb, they can just give back .75-1.25gb to games.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    That is why I don't understand why people are freaking out about the reserved amount for the OS, over time they will probably release more of that game back to games, just look at the PS3 and how the memory footprint of the OS shrunk over time, the same thing is going to happen here...better safe than sorry!
    Exactly. Which will also have the possibly unintended effect of more advanced games down the line

So after viewing the better quality video (thank you!) I'm pretty sure the screen they started with was the resume screen, as it said shuhei was logged in already. Then it goes to the main screen (skipping the what's new screen-adding more to the idea that it's a resumed session. Some have speculated this as the ps store, but I don't see it. It's more likely to be downloaded games but I'm almost certain it's the main screen). I think the system either shows you the most recently used games/apps or you can 'pin' them to this screen (Customization!) . Notice the "dualshock 4" notification in the corner

As you can see, when he highlights (selects? It makes the sound of selection but I think if he pressed 'x' it would have started. Perhaps he pressed 'options'?) a game, it envelops the screen similar to the xmb (which I am SO glad they kept!) and we can see the "live tiles" associated with that game.

Unfortunately we can't see the bottom left corner of the screen so we don't know what buttons he's pushing, but I'm guessing he pushes the PS button to access the top menu(which preserves some XMB icons! ) I'm wondering what sort of things will show up under 'notifications'. Maybe system messages such as "download completed" or maybe someone commenting on your shared media or a challenge from a friend? Also, what could that TV icon on the right be? PlayStation TV? Remote play? Hmmmm...

Live from PlayStation. Now this is interesting. 'live' 'archive' and 'interactive'. So I'm guessing 'archive' is either your shared or downloaded videos or the most popular ones from all time and 'interactive' are the games that can be interfered with? (note the 'interact' option under the KZ: SF stream later) I'm pretty sure this either shows the most popular videos/streams (Maybe it could show the most popular stream from the most popular games? ) or just the ones your friends are doing or watching, because that would be chaos otherwise. Note the people playing/people commenting counts under the videos.

When he selects KZ you can see in the top right a live feed from the streaming player (and a camera and muted mic icon underneath). Shuhei presses square for fullscreen. He joins, kicks some hig ass, and then hits the share button. Now here's the tricky part.

Note that the game runs for a second before the audio fades out and the share screen comes up. When he goes to select a screenshot, it's mysteriously already there!!! So I'm thinking during that pause before the screen came up, he hit the share button TWICE to take a quick screenshot without disturbing the game. That or he was fumbling to find the button and the system takes one automatically when you press SHARE.

So two more quick things. When he uses the keyboard I'm 99% sure he's using the touchpad to type. Note the icon below space to switch to the D-pad and recall that the demonstration/love triangle video showed the player using sixaxis to type. Also note the same shortcut keys for space/backspace etc. and the predictive text.

So yeah. Digging this new interface. I'm glad it takes queues from the XMB (notice the 'ribbon' in the background too?) Pretty excited. My only questions are:
    1. Where is the 'what's new' screen? Does it appear only in a cold boot?
    2. How does one access their stored media?
    3. Can we navigate the menus with the touchpad/sixaxis/analog stick/Move?
    4. Is there an easy way to skip through big lists such as the shoulder buttons or flicking the touchpad?

EDIT:

Check out these sweet custom background mock ups from a GAF user:
    http://i5.minus.com/ib0hpXF4k3L7BJ.jpg
    http://i7.minus.com/ibk8dmyTSw9fb6.jpg
    http://i5.minus.com/ii1R2HNmCp2qw.jpg

Perhaps the leftmost icon (the one with the symbols) goes to the what's new screen, or a screen with all of the options and this is the customized screen.

lending more cred to my theory, notice the order has changed in these pics:

Last edited by mini E; 08-22-2013 at 18:38.

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Still even if they try to do it for future proof's sake 3gb still seems too much imo, but you may be right and the OS might just end up taking up 1-2gb on the retail version, wish Sony commented on this.
    To be honest, as long as it flows quick and flawlessly, I don't care if it has to access the spare 2 gigs of my laptop and the cloud and the kitchen sink to function. Really I don't see why everyone is getting their pannies in a bunch at this point over it. Unless some devs come fourth and voice some concern it will do.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Here's some screens for you.

Never mind the attachments.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Flumbooze; 08-24-2013 at 01:31.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    To be honest, as long as it flows quick and flawlessly, I don't care if it has to access the spare 2 gigs of my laptop and the cloud and the kitchen sink to function. Really I don't see why everyone is getting their pannies in a bunch at this point over it. Unless some devs come fourth and voice some concern it will do.
    That's really the point we should all be taking away from this. The Ps3's interface can be incredibly slow at times simply due to the OS having to page so much from the HDD. Allocating a lot of additional memory to alleviate this problems will do so much more for the overall experience of the user than having a few more hi-res textures.

Both MS and Sony at least are focusing on building OS's that are about speed and ease of use rather than just having the fastest games hardware.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    I love that they didn't ditch the XMB, just expanded on it. Best interface out there, imo.
    Completely 100% whole heartedly agree with you there.

I felt relieved when they showed the interface at gamescom and it appeared to be exactly like you said "expanded upon" the XMB is a fantastic interface glad Sony felt the same.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    After booting up my ps3 recently, I realized the what's new icon on ps3:

Is the same as the icon on the left on ps4:

So I'm fairly certain the leftmost logo is the expanded "what's new" screen. This one:

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Dedicated Member
    I loved the user interface interface.. haha :P The one thing I want is better performance out of it. The ps3 is so slow in that aspect
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

10. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    It looks ok. Won't know for sure before November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Not going to lie, I kinda like the current XMB better. Seems more simple and no-nonsense approach. The new one looks like a jazzed up Xbox trying to "Fit-in" with a live party. I mean, it isn't bad or anything, but looks too commericialized. lol! I just hope we can still have custom themes and dynamic themes.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Not going to lie, I kinda like the current XMB better. Seems more simple and no-nonsense approach. The new one looks like a jazzed up Xbox trying to "Fit-in" with a live party. I mean, it isn't bad or anything, but looks too commericialized. lol! I just hope we can still have custom themes and dynamic themes.
    I also love the XMB, while it is an almost perfect UI it's also outdated IMO.
    To be honest the new Dynamic menu looks like a way better version the the Xbox dashboard.
    It looks a lot more user friendly and easier to understand by having different size icons instead of the same size tiles. I think it's a great change so far from what I've seen.
    It looks like it has no ads until you navigate to the store, unlike MS where you see Doritos and progressive ads every time you turn on your console.
    But until I get my hands on it I can't properly judge it.
    All my opinion, don't take Anything I say as fact.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    people don't realize this but Sony's XMB is quite fast. While it could be smoother, I find it to be faster to navigate through. Granted that it's not the prettiest of XMBs out there, but it's fast and I'm quite sure that with the overall they are giving it while still keeping it's speed that it will be much smoother too.

Thread Information