General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

What did you think of Sony's Gamescom press conference?

Two questions this week then!

We'd love to know what your thought about the Gamescom press conference.

What did you like and what were you disappointed about?

Here's a recap...

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd. (SCEE) today revealed that the highly anticipated PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system will be arriving in SCEE regions from 29th November 2013. A huge range of software and entertainment services were also unveiled at the gamescom trade fair in Cologne, Germany, including five all-new PS4 titles from SCE Worldwide Studios – Rime, Hell Divers, Shadow of the Beast, Resogun™ and Everybody’s Gone to The Rapture.

Showing a clear commitment to delivering gamers fresh new experiences, the conference featured a non-stop series of announcements for new games across PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita), PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and the upcoming PS4. As promised by Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SCEE, at the opening of the presentation: “We have always been committed to making next generation products but now we’re increasingly focused on making those products for next-generation gamers.”

On top of the PS4 excitement, fans were also delighted to learn of a price drop on PS Vita, Memory Card for PS Vita and PS3 12GB model for the European region. As of 21st August 2013 the price for PS Vita Wifi and 3G models will be reduced to €199 and the PS3 12GB model will also retail at €199

Along with the price drop, new titles for PS Vita were showcased, including Murasaki Baby and BigFest™.

Away from software and hardware there was a notable drive behind PlayStation®Plus (PS Plus), and the services that will be available on PS4 such as the instant game collection, cloud storage and immersive online multiplayer play along with the exciting new titles Resogun™ and #DRIVECLUB PS Plus Edition for PS4 and Assassin’s Creed® III for PS3 instant game collection.

It was also announced that Twitch, the world’s leading video platform and community for gamers, will come to PS4 globally. This will enable gamers to live stream their gameplay as well as view the live broadcasts of others as part of the “spectate” feature on PS4, enhancing the overall user experience.

Additionally, there was an emphasis on the wider services that will be available on the new PS4 via the PSNSM. SCEE has increased the roster of video services and apps to include the likes of Tunein, IGN and VidZone (Pan-European), Watchever, Maxdome and LoveFilm (Germany), Wuaki and TotalChannel (Spain), BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport, BBC News, Demand5 and LoveFilm (UK), Tvigle (Russia), RTBF and DVDPost (Belgium), Ximon (Netherlands / Belgium), Pathe (Netherlands), Viaplay (Nordics), and FilmoTV, Jook and GameOne (France). VIP broadband will also be introduced with a selection of partners including Deutsche Telekom, Orange (France), Virgin Media (UK), and ONO (Spain).

PlayStation®’s enthusiasm was matched by that of major third party publishers. Ubisoft gave the world its first look at Assassin’s Creed®IV: Black Flag™ remote play on PS Vita and gave updates on Watch_Dogs. Gaijin Entertainment, MoJang and EA were also on-hand to give a glimpse into what gamers can expect from them for PS4.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

2. Likes 33x likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    What I liked the most: Vita news. Finally a price cut and also memory cards got a lot cheaper.
    What I was disappointed with: I was expecting to see new big game from Sony, but never got it.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    That conference was great. Sure there was nothing new that was AAA but im not a graphics $#@!.
    Lets see what we got that i liked
    -Rime
    -Helldivers
    -Shadow of the Beast (AMIGA!!)
    -Gorgeous Infamous trailer
    -Microsoft doesnt have the Twitch or Minecraft advantage anymore.
    -Remote play ran smoothly.
    -The UI was fast and clean
    -Vita and memory card price cut (yes its not significant but at least they did it unlike Nintendo with the Wii U)
    -Lots of Vita games (not just in the conference)

So what if a lot of the Vita announcements were ports and Indies? Fun is Fun
    Borderlands 2, Minecraft, Rogue Legacy, Helldivers , etc on a portable is Awesome!
    Oh and Murasaki Baby looked creepy fun.

So sad it seems all that people want are AAA.
    Last edited by HellsJester; 08-21-2013 at 11:21.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Liked: Vita news, Minecraft hitting all 3 platforms, LBP Hub (need to know more though)
    Disliked: Lack of new AAA game announcements, nothing on Gaikai

Still easily better than E3 as usual.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    I liked it. Seemed like there were some technical glitches here and there, and there were some awkward presenter moments, but the games info more than made up for those. I was very happy to see so much focus on indie games. Lack of a surprise AAA game announcement didn't bother me. The release date was really all I had to hear from Sony.

Shut up and play games

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I thought it was brilliant. Yes, I said brilliant because they are still putting a ton of focus on the indie developers out there. I give major kudos to Sony and there brilliant indie dev support they are showing. We are going to see a lot of games and a lot of gems coming out for this system. I also think because of the high support Sony is showing the indie dev community there may be quite a few indie exclusives because of this. AAA games are very important also but we will here about those anyway, it's the indie devs out there that need the current attention.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    It's amazing that they where able to show a bunch of games and yet not show what the big boys are doing! Lol can't wait for when they decide to start dropping bombs

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Overall it was decent. Nothing like the E3 showing, but it gave the information I wanted.
    Indies
    Rime

and most important to me, PS Vita price cut and PS4 release date.

A bit too much time spent on Assassin's Creed 4 and Watchdogs, we have seen so much of these games.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Some of it was kind of boring and I think Sony should have spent less time kissing up to Ubisoft and using that time to show how games like Drive Club are coming along. That being said Sony did show how PS4 will bring us a wide variety of gaming experiences. And KZ SF looked amazing and I liked the Shadow of the Beast trailer as well as a few others.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    +Killzone Shadow Fall
    +inFamous Second Son
    +Rime
    +Shadow of the Beast trailer
    - Too much $#@!ing Ubisoft.
    - Lack of big AAA reveals.
    - Too much Vita
    - No Gaikai info

It was ok, Rime and Shadow of the Beast were good enough reveals for me to make it worth it I guess.

12. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Overall it was decent. Nothing like the E3 showing, but it gave the information I wanted.
    Indies
    Rime

and most important to me, PS Vita price cut and PS4 release date.

A bit too much time spent on Assassin's Creed 4 and Watchdogs, we have seen so much of these games.
    How was E3 better? Other than The Order we didn't get anything other than Sony owning MS and more Ubi$#@! coverage on games we've seen hundreds of times. FF15 and KH3 were the only decent things coming out of E3 and we STILL don't have a release date for FFvs13/15 and God knows when we'll see KH3, probably 2018.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    It did what it was supposed to do....generate a bunch of headlines. Plus....hard to top their E3 performance so....it is what it is.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    I liked the price cuts for vita and PS3, and the evidence of Sony's commitment to indie games. But I found the near complete lack of any new triple A releases a bit worrisome, and over all the conference was a bit boring.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I was left wanting more. The Indie love, while not my main scene, was cool. I'll take it. I was really wanting to see another AAA title though. Even if it wasn't one that appealed to me personally, I wanted the masses to have another reason to pick up the PS4.

The conference itself, however, was relatively poor in execution. Personally, I'm sick of all these AC4 gameplay videos. I've seen enough. The speakers were nervous and a little odd to watch (I'll cut them slack though, it is an intimidating job to get in front of millions), but the camera. That terrible camera. Seriously, I hope whoever was in charge of the cameras got a very stern scolding. "Why yes, let's zoom out to the audience while there is gameplay/trailer being shown... EXCELLENT!"
    Sony Gamescom's Camera = so horrendous I'm ALMOST not able to laugh about it.
    (For further clarification, go watch the Final Bosman on GT, he sums up my feelings on the camera almost exactly)
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I thought the content and message was good. They got their point across. Which is to say, we haven't abandoned you PS3 users, and we're definitely working on more content for the VITA and we certainly haven't given up (price drop on console and memory card, regardless if it was enough or not).

It wasn't flashy (the way they structured it, time spent on certain games/announcements etc), which is why it's getting the complaints it's getting, but I thought it was a good message overall - if you're looking at the bigger picture, rather than the minute details of it.
    I am the oncoming storm.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Unlike most, I was actually pleased with the Sony Conference. They might have showed Indie inspired games but I think that it was needed. I believe they have to push forward from that perspective. Some of the games shown are going to go from low-budget to AAA games, based on the reactions they received. Most gamers need to realize every game can not be AAA. If that was the case we would wait years before games are released.

Thread Information