Latest PSU headlines:

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    What are you talking about? I asked if we know which statements that were made by the AMD dude were considered "inaccurate". Nothing to do with the thread.
    Sorry, there should have been an "and" in between.

"LOL Really?", is because it doesn't matter.

AMD marketing PR says one thing about memory HUMA, AMD says its inaccurate.

That's all there is too it.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Sorry, there should have been an "and" in between.

"LOL Really?", is because it doesn't matter.

AMD marketing PR says one thing about memory HUMA, AMD says its inaccurate.

That's all there is too it.
    Are you retracting your previous post or simply saying it was inaccurate?

Last edited by Christopher; 08-22-2013 at 21:53.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

3. Likes x_terna, PS4THEWIN likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    What are you talking about? I asked if we know which statements that were made by the AMD dude were considered "inaccurate". Nothing to do with the thread.
    Exactly! Too vague to be considered confirmed, too vague to be considered debunked.

/thread

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

5. Likes TwentyThree, Vulgotha, PS4THEWIN likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Exactly! Too vague to be considered confirmed, too vague to be considered debunked.

/thread
    Whether neither or both have it, it doesn't matter the statement made that "PS4 as HUMA and Xbox one doesn't" is inaccurate.

There really isn't much more that could be gleamed from their answers.

People looking for an answer here wont find one.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

CaptainZ
    Whether neither or both have it, it doesn't matter the statement made that "PS4 as HUMA and Xbox one doesn't" is inaccurate.

There really isn't much more that could be gleamed from their answers.

People looking for an answer here wont find one.
    Are you retracting your previous post or simply saying it was inaccurate?

From NowGamer's translation, it seems the AMD spokesman did in fact compare PS4 vs Xbox One and made those comments.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2051214..._xbox_one.html

"C'T also claim to have spoken to a number of developers behind the scences at Gamescom, who they say have confirmed anonymously that the 3D performance of the PS4 is indeed better than that of the Xbox One."

They went around to confirm what AMD spokesman said was true, meaning AMD did state those for fact.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post
    From NowGamer's translation, it seems the AMD spokesman did in fact compare PS4 vs Xbox One and made those comments.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2051214..._xbox_one.html

"C'T also claim to have spoken to a number of developers behind the scences at Gamescom, who they say have confirmed anonymously that the 3D performance of the PS4 is indeed better than that of the Xbox One."

I'd expect the 3d performance of the PS4 to be better.

They went around to confirm what AMD spokesman said was true, meaning AMD did state those for fact.
    Are you trying to link 3d performance with HUMA?

I don't think anyone is denying what the AMD person said.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-22-2013 at 23:24.

Ancient
    LOL, really?

Who put "confirmed" on the thread title.?
    PMSL

You cant pay AMD to tell Cerny to shut up.

And seeing as Cerny has detailed the hell out of the bus's and modifications..

<sighs> really guys.
    Sorry but you was the guy that said Xbox One had hUMA and PS4 didn't
    When in actuality it's impossible for the X1 to have it due to its Ram.setup but possible for PS4 to have it.
    And to Answer the question you asked pages back, I'm sure Cerny said the GPU has direct line to the Ram in one of his interviews
    Months ago.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    When in actuality it's impossible for the X1 to have it due to its Ram.setup but possible for PS4 to have it.
    And to Answer the question you asked pages back, I'm sure Cerny said the GPU has direct line to the Ram in one of his interviews
    Months ago.

To back that point, I do remember that during the Feb reveal.

But that's all I'm able to contribute.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Months ago.

Its completly possible for the xbox one to have HUMA. Nothing precludes it.

Months ago.

"First, we added another bus to the GPU that allows it to read directly from system memory or write directly to system memory, bypassing its own L1 and L2 caches. As a result, if the data that's being passed back and forth between CPU and GPU is small, you don't have issues with synchronization between them anymore. And by small, I just mean small in next-gen terms. We can pass almost 20 gigabytes a second down that bus. That's not very small in today’s terms -- it’s larger than the PCIe on most PCs!
    As I say that particular bus is well documented. Not at all new.
    By it very definition it needs to pass through the CPU caches.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-22-2013 at 23:47.

CaptainZ
    Are you trying to link 3d performance with HUMA?

I don't think anyone is denying what the AMD person said.
    More than that. The interviewer went around gamescom to confirm what AMD said about PS4 being more powerful with other devs.

And I am not linking anything. It was what AMD said and interviewer went around asked others.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post
    More than that. The interviewer went around gamescom to confirm what AMD said about PS4 being more powerful with other devs.

And I am not linking anything. It was what AMD said and interviewer went around asked others.
    Confirming it's more powerful isn't going to confirm HUMA.
    We all know it's more powerful

PSU Technical Advisor
    If by all you mean "not X2", then yes.

15. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I don't care what the usual suspects have to say about this. To me, this is like hearing it from the horses mouth. Not that we gamers should care..

There's no use bragging to people about these things either. I'm sick of that $#@!. I've heard the pros and cons and I could've made my decision 7 times over.

Holidays 'gonna be good^^
    Last edited by K2D; 08-23-2013 at 00:22.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Elite Guru

"Kabini doesn't support hUMA" which is the APU that the PS4 is based on. Which make the AMD rep comments inaccurate.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    "Kabini doesn't support hUMA" which is the APU that the PS4 is based on. Which make the AMD rep comments inaccurate.
    But I guess kabini does 48 threads

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Wait....it gets better!

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...bini-based-SoC

UPDATE: AMD contacted me again to make another comment. Essentially, they said that the correction statement to the original statement claiming hUMA was part PS4 was "inaccurrate" but that this correction does NOT mean the opposite claim is true. Even when pressed for a more specific and debate-ending comment, AMD wouldn't give us any more information. So does the PS4 have support for some type of heterogeneous unified memory? Maybe. And the Xbox One? Maybe. At this point, I'd stop listening to anything AMD has to say on the subject as they are likely to recant it shortly thereafter. Many readers have emailed me with their thoughts and I personally feel that its more likely the original statement from AMD (that the PS4 will have the edge with a hUMA design) will turn out to be the truth in the long run...
    So who knows.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    That's not exactly how it works. These are heavily modified pieces of hardware. You can't look at what the hardware parts were based on and say that it does or doesn't support hUMA going off that. If they just threw a Kabini APU in there, then sure, it wouldn't support hUMA. It was stated loud and clearly by AMD many times though that they leveraged the building blocks of their full 2013 roadmap.

I've been assuming for awhile that the PS4 may be going their own route to achieve hUMA that differs from the official physical method AMD will implement it in their upcoming hUMA APUs, but that it'll have the same basic end result. Here's some stuff possibly backing that.

"UPDATE: AMD contacted me again to make another comment. Essentially, they said that the correction statement to the original statement claiming hUMA was part PS4 was "inaccurrate" but that this correction does NOT mean the opposite claim is true. Even when pressed for a more specific and debate-ending comment, AMD wouldn't give us any more information.

So does the PS4 have support for some type of heterogeneous unified memory? Maybe. And the Xbox One? Maybe. At this point, I'd stop listening to anything AMD has to say on the subject as they are likely to recant it shortly thereafter. Many readers have emailed me with their thoughts and I personally feel that its more likely the original statement from AMD (that the PS4 will have the edge with a hUMA design) will turn out to be the truth in the long run..." ~ Source

edit ~ Damn you Larry! Got to it before me, ya bastard.

21. Likes Christopher likes this post
    CaptainZ
    Yea. Really hard to tell if the interviewer just asked other developers and confirmed whether PS4 is more powerful or has HUMA and contribute to it being more powerful.

Best way is to tell is after NDA expires. All we have is devs indirectly trying to tell us. Like Need For Speed dev saying definitely one of the console looks better.

Elite Guru
    The big kick I have been getting out of this entire thread/incident is that everyone is pinning their hopes on this one tiny function of the machine. It is a brilliant piece of technology but it's nothing astoundingly amazing at the same time. It's just feels like every other console war we've had before.

Finding the single differentiator and then using that as a point of argument of side A vs side B.

True or not it just feels so pointless this time around.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Sounds like it most likely does support it or something similar.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    It supports HSA, it supports a form of sharing data from CPU->GPU.
    They both do. That's nothing new.
    Its not quite the same as sharing memory pointers which is what HuMA allows you to do.

You all should just be happy that it supports a form of data sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    That's not exactly how it works. These are heavily modified pieces of hardware. You can't look at what the hardware parts were based on and say that it does or doesn't support hUMA going off that. If they just threw a Kabini APU in there, then sure, it wouldn't support hUMA. It was stated loud and clearly by AMD many times though that they leveraged the building blocks of their full 2013 roadmap.

I've been assuming for awhile that the PS4 may be going their own route to achieve hUMA that differs from the official physical method AMD will implement it in their upcoming hUMA APUs, but that it'll have the same basic end result. Here's some stuff possibly backing that.

"UPDATE: AMD contacted me again to make another comment. Essentially, they said that the correction statement to the original statement claiming hUMA was part PS4 was "inaccurrate" but that this correction does NOT mean the opposite claim is true. Even when pressed for a more specific and debate-ending comment, AMD wouldn't give us any more information.

So does the PS4 have support for some type of heterogeneous unified memory? Maybe. And the Xbox One? Maybe. At this point, I'd stop listening to anything AMD has to say on the subject as they are likely to recant it shortly thereafter. Many readers have emailed me with their thoughts and I personally feel that its more likely the original statement from AMD (that the PS4 will have the edge with a hUMA design) will turn out to be the truth in the long run..." ~ Source

edit ~ Damn you Larry! Got to it before me, ya bastard.
    As I said, and have been saying for a while..it's not HuMA, but its a work around to give you a similar result.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    The big kick I have been getting out of this entire thread/incident is that everyone is pinning their hopes on this one tiny function of the machine. It is a brilliant piece of technology but it's nothing astoundingly amazing at the same time. It's just feels like every other console war we've had before.

Finding the single differentiator and then using that as a point of argument of side A vs side B.

Octopiler for the win!
    Last edited by mynd; 08-23-2013 at 01:38.

Quote Originally Posted by PS4THEWIN View Post
    Sounds like it most likely does support it or something similar.

Yeah....sounds like AMD revealed too much and somebody didn't like it.

27. Likes x_terna, D3seeker, Kauldron likes this post
    CaptainZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post

This is not the single differentiator between side A and Side B.

Architecture maybe very similar but you have a huge difference in Ram and GPU components. PS4 having huma will not change which has better spec.

Veteran
    Yeah....sounds like AMD revealed too much and somebody didn't like it.
    There is a lot at stake when something like that is said. You pretty much have to be hush hush about this stuff when you are catering to multiple platforms, which is why I was so surprised that AMD mentioned it.

On one hand you have AMD who wants to tout their new tech as the future to gain an advantage in their market, but on the other hand, they have a customer who is not using that tech.

Strange days, strange ways.
    Last edited by Kauldron; 08-23-2013 at 01:42.

Superior Member
    damn so much denial from the xbone camp its ridiculous.
    and even if it were untrue (which it isn't), this is a huge black eye for the redmond based corporation.

so please, spin all you want.

spin spin spin till it makes you dizzy and you drop to the floor facefirst. i'll be pointing and laughing at you.

Thread Information