Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Nope. They were volumetrically ray-traced.
    An approximated version of to be fair. Impressive to say the least just not the full beast if you will, one of the better uses of Cell over the years.

Best part of this up coming generation is that some great techniques have come up in recent years to simulate ray tracing results on the GPU with much lower processing loads. KZ : Shadowfall is already using screen space raytracing for reflections. Not a Ps4 unique effect but it's great to finally see it make the jump from experimental tech demo to gameplay situation.

2. Likes Agriel likes this post
    Banned

Yup. Never saw real-time ray-traced clouds on a 360 game like Warhawk had.
    That's cuz nobody wanted to use ray tracing, not cuz the 360 couldn't do it. I can't see a 360 dev looking at Warhawk and shoving ray tracing into their game just for the sake of proving the 360 can do it.

The fact Incognito Entertainment as far as I know was the only one to put ray tracing in it's games on PS3 just further proves my point. If all those other PS3 devs saw no need to bother with ray tracing, why in the hell would we expect a 360 dev to care about putting it in a game?

The ray traced clouds were the only good looking thing about Warhawk. The rest of the game looked like average at best. It's textures looked like ass. So when you are skimping on the graphics elsewhere in a game, it's easy to understand where they had the power left over to do what graphically amounts to a "see we can do ray tracing on a console" tech demo. Warhawk was good where it counts...... gameplay and fun factor.

Ah yes...ray tracing and 1080p gaming. After a couple games that used it just to say it can be done, the majority of the devs just ignored using either. Which pretty much made it effectively a hollow bragging point in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post
    That must be why MS is hiding their spec. They do not want to advertise the fact their they have a lot weaker console.

This move by MS to hide their Spec and word vaguely with transistors just emphasis even further that console is in fact far weaker.
    Microsoft's engineers in a Xbox One behind the scenes video in the Xbox One labs came out and said they didn't shoot for the highest end graphics solution. That can hardly be called hiding the fact. In fact.... he VOLUNTEERED that info in the video, it was never said in response to a question asked of him. Volunteering info like that is the opposite of hiding. Answering questions he was never asked. That's pretty upfront.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ‘We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics’ says Microsoft

Wednesday 22 May 2013 5:06 am
    Use
    keys to

Call Of Duty: Ghosts – what does it say about the Xbox One’s graphical horsepower?Microsoft has appeared to concede defeat in the next generation graphical arms race, admitting that the Xbox One’s graphics may not be the best.
    If you watch the Engadget video here at about the 5:43 mark then a Microsoft hardware designer can be heard to say the following:
    ‘We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment play. And did it in an intelligent way and focused on key aspects of the IP for that.’
    We’re not sure what the final sentence is meant to mean but his comments are preceded by a discussion about how the Xbox One will use cloud-computing for some processing tasks in some games.
    This will presumably work like cloud services such as OnLive, except for much more specific elements, such as artificial intelligence, rather than the whole game.
    This may allow the Xbox One to make up for any performance gap with the PlayStation 4, although it will mean the Xbox One will have to be online while the game is being played.
    There was very little reference to the Xbox One’s graphical power during its unveiling, although all game trailers that were shown looked impressive and well on par with what the PlayStation 4 seems to be capable of.
    Only the Call Of Duty: Ghosts trailer was confirmed to be running in real-time though, so it may be that some, or all, of the other footage was pre-rendered.
    Microsoft may have opted for a slightly less powerful machine in order to reduce the price of the system, which comes bundled with the next generation Kinect as standard.
    In our interview with European boss Chris Lewis he indicated that despite being bundled with Kinect the console package would still be competitively priced.
    Thoughts? Email gamecentral@ukmetro.co.uk or leave a comment below

Games News, Xbox 720

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/22/we-pur...osoft-3804061/

I can respect MS fans that are on board with the All in One Entertainment machine. It's not like the games will necessarily look bad on the machine, either. I just take offense to the people that insist on comparing it to the PS4 as if they are even architected to play games on the same level. MS is simply trolling their own fanbase with all of this "hidden power of the cloud/ESRam/mystery power" shenanigans. I want to scream it from a mountain top that if you want a high performance game console then you should just get the PS4.

All these power arguments end with one single result.. It just gives Sony and its fans firepower. The underlying construct does not change and it is Sony that is delivering on the power debate. The caveat to that, being the elephant in the room, is that Microsoft had to abandon their entire messaging with the XBox One after being crucified over their reveal. It gets lost in the wash, but they didn't just reverse their software policies. They really abandoned ship on the notion of a semi-casual/core machine that does entertainment. So much so, they've only mentioned the Halo TV series once (at E3) since the original reveal.

So, if I ever come across like a hater or a fanboy or just plain mean, now you know why. It's not really that I have a disdain for XBox fans (have quite a few of them as IRL friends and have even dated a few), it's that this implosion all Spring and Summer long has truly come from within and no one seems to man up and say "You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not." Instead, it's just an ongoing battle with the PS4 for the sake of doing battle.. And it has infinite ammunition hax in that debate because it is architected like a current-gen graphics card with an APU slapped on it. ..and all this mess about using GDDR5 as system RAM is not going to pan out due to clamshelling to reduce latency. The truth is, it doesn't even truly need hUMA.

5. Likes K2D , VayMasters86 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    What I really don't get about all of this is...

I mean seriously guys WTF?

I get all the rest of the discussions that go on on these forums. But that one baffles me no end.

HUMA or no HUMA.

7. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    What I really don't get about all of this is...

I mean seriously guys WTF?

I get all the rest of the discussions that go on on these forums. But that one baffles me no end.

HUMA or no HUMA.
    They would have been better off getting Adam West

Forum Guru
    They would have been better off getting Adam West
    Well, he is the best Batman to date..
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Forum Guru
    Holy double post, Batman!
    Last edited by jlippone; 08-24-2013 at 07:53.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Well, he is the best Batman to date..
    I wouldn't know, I've never dated a Batman before. I'm just waiting for Peter Dinklage to play Martian Manhunter. At lease Ryan Reynolds won't be playing the Green Lantern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

12. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Banned

I can respect MS fans that are on board with the All in One Entertainment machine. It's not like the games will necessarily look bad on the machine, either. I just take offense to the people that insist on comparing it to the PS4 as if they are even architected to play games on the same level. MS is simply trolling their own fanbase with all of this "hidden power of the cloud/ESRam/mystery power" shenanigans. I want to scream it from a mountain top that if you want a high performance game console then you should just get the PS4.

All these power arguments end with one single result.. It just gives Sony and its fans firepower. The underlying construct does not change and it is Sony that is delivering on the power debate. The caveat to that, being the elephant in the room, is that Microsoft had to abandon their entire messaging with the XBox One after being crucified over their reveal. It gets lost in the wash, but they didn't just reverse their software policies. They really abandoned ship on the notion of a semi-casual/core machine that does entertainment. So much so, they've only mentioned the Halo TV series once (at E3) since the original reveal.

So, if I ever come across like a hater or a fanboy or just plain mean, now you know why. It's not really that I have a disdain for XBox fans (have quite a few of them as IRL friends and have even dated a few), it's that this implosion all Spring and Summer long has truly come from within and no one seems to man up and say "You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not." Instead, it's just an ongoing battle with the PS4 for the sake of doing battle.. And it has infinite ammunition hax in that debate because it is architected like a current-gen graphics card with an APU slapped on it. ..and all this mess about using GDDR5 as system RAM is not going to pan out due to clamshelling to reduce latency. The truth is, it doesn't even truly need hUMA.
    The thing is..... I've have been one of those people that says..."You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not."

You know where that has gotten me? NOWHERE! We still had people bagging on Xbox One MONTHS before it's reveal. Then they went into overdrive after the reveal. Finding every negative article, poll or opinion of a lowly nobody blogger and make constant threads on them..........DESPITE us saying we like the Xbox One for what it is.

When somebody posts a negative thread in the Xbox One section and then states I'M ONLY THE MESSENGER...... they AREN'T just a messenger to innocently inform users. When they say DON'T SHOOT ME, I'M ONLY THE MESSENGER...on this forum that's PRECISELY what they deserve. Only people that have a long track record of bagging on the Xbox One feel a need to say such things. People who post negative articles who don't have a long history of doing so NEVER feel the need to preface their post with the I'M ONLY THE MESSENGER declaration.

How many Xbox fans are going into the Playstation sections constant bagging on Sony and always trying to convince Sony fans to abandon their console of choice? The Xbox fan has to CONSTANTLY put up with people asking us why are we giving greedy Microsoft our money. Why we would put up with a console with lessor specs....etc etc etc. They even take shots at the Xbox platform and it's fans in their SIGs. How many Xbox fans are trashing the PlayStation brand and it's fans in their SIGs? NONE!

They were mad that Microsoft had DRM on Xbox One and wanted it dropped. Then when they quickly reversed their stance, Sony fans $#@! on them for being reactionary and with no vision.

They keep claiming Xbox One is all about TV TV TV TV ....SIMPLY because the debut featured it prominently. Then when E3 rolled around and it was GAMES GAME GAMES.... redemption? NOPE. Haters still wanted to talk about TV TV TV from the debut even though Microsoft showed they were serious about gaming.

Microsoft announced MORE new IPs in the works for Xbox One than were announced for BOTH Xbox and Xbox 360 COMBINED! How in the $#@! can someone say with a straight face they aren't serious about games after announcing all that?

Notice Microsoft has basically said little about the TV functions since the debut, but that's all the haters want to talk about. It's one of MANY things the Xbox One can do........ it's not it's MAIN function.. It's still plenty of a gaming machine. You don't put an 8-core CPU with 32 MB of ESRAM and 8GB of RAM in there if a console's main function is TV TV TV functions. Just cuz a console has specs that are less, doesn't mean it's any less of a gaming machine. It simply means it's a gaming machine with lessor specs.

So NO.... simply saying "You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not." does NOT garner anymore respect or make us less susceptible to harassment. It happened most of the PS3/360 era and it's back in force again this coming gen.

I will agree that the staff have done a fairly decent job of trying to lessen it lately..... but it's ONLY happening cuz of threats of bans..... NOT BECAUSE I said "You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not." and people respected that.

That's why I respectfully disagree with what you said and think you are being disingenuous.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    What IP or IPs mean when one talks about games? Sorry for my English.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post
    IP stands for Intellectual Property. A simple example would be the Star Wars or Fast and Furious franchise. A new IP in gaming is simply a new potential franchise. New original characters or premises.

The Last Of US on PS3 is an example of a new gaming IP. It's not based on any past gaming franchises.

Ancient
    Intellectual Property, or for example
    Sony just announced a new title/product which belongs to them.
    Its just a technical term

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water coolerĒ

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Think of it as $#@! that aint physical

You might own Ratchett and Clank, but its really just an idea of a character/game.

They were mad that Microsoft had DRM on Xbox One and wanted it dropped. Then when they quickly reversed their stance, Sony fans $#@! on them for being reactionary and with no vision.
    You need to see this for what it is. People were pissed about DRM.
    When it was reversed those that cried 180 etc are the ones who feel threatened, because suddenly there was a more level playing field.

Make no doubt about it some would have loved to see MS go through with the DRM features but not for love of the console, or the good of the gaming nation. Had MS gone through with DRM features they would have been dead.

100% dead.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-24-2013 at 08:52.

PSN ID
    trellheim
    PC weenie devs have been asking for convergence (same basic console from all parties) for a long time now. Next gen will be exactly that from MS and Sony. Minor structural differences won't amount to much for games; vast majority of games will be multiplat and MS has more cash from their monopolies to ensure no 3rd party dev gets too crazy in supporting the competition. If one does (Bungie), MS will just find a failed dev on the PS3 side (Insomniac) to throw money at.

At this point in the game, it will be a marketing exercise from the two players; Brand A versus minor differences from Brand B.Donít know about the rest of you, but Iím not spending $400 plus just to play some quirky indie titles. I want the big guns and both teams will provide very similar experiences. Quite dull if you ask me.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Exactly! It's like Blackberry. How many people rail on Blackberry users daily? Almost nobody. Why? Cuz Blackberry isn't a threat to any of the other phone makers or users of those other phones.

I've never tried to make a person with a Playstation preference feel bad about their preference , talked $#@! about Sony as a company, make them feel they have to defend their console of choice nor insulted them for making that choice. The ones with an Xbox prefernece get all that and more.

They don't attack us cuz we didn't choose PlayStation as our console of preference. They attack us because we dared choose Xbox as our console of preference....even if we buy a PlayStation as a secondary console. How can I prove that? Easy...... People with a Nintendo console preference never have to put up with even a fraction of the $#@! Xbox fans do.

It's bully tactics and I refuse to be intimidated for my console preference.
    I think you take it a bit too personally. You are at a PS forum after all.

Some people dislike xbox, others dont. It take all sorts.

In the big scheme of things there are a hell of a lot more important things in the world than your console preference. I wouldn't really get upset about it. Sure try and straighten people out on factual things, but preference is not something your likely to change. And your sure as hell will never change everyone even if you did.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-24-2013 at 10:03.

20. Likes PS4THEWIN, Christopher likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    [question: what does any of this have to do with hUMA or the PS4? i've removed of topic discussion, if you must, take it to PM. do not derail this thread further, kay? ]

Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    An approximated version of to be fair. Impressive to say the least just not the full beast if you will, one of the better uses of Cell over the years.

Best part of this up coming generation is that some great techniques have come up in recent years to simulate ray tracing results on the GPU with much lower processing loads. KZ : Shadowfall is already using screen space raytracing for reflections. Not a Ps4 unique effect but it's great to finally see it make the jump from experimental tech demo to gameplay situation.
    indeed, hopefully there's a lot more devs can do with the coming hardware. the KZ devs were going on about how you currently have to pick-and-choose your effects, but on PS4 you can run all of them.

it will be very interesting to see what happens when the PS4 is at a stage were devs start to pick and choose effects again
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    [question: what does any of this have to do with hUMA or the PS4? i've removed of topic discussion, if you must, take it to PM. do not derail this thread further, kay? ]

indeed, hopefully there's a lot more devs can do with the coming hardware. the KZ devs were going on about how you currently have to pick-and-choose your effects, but on PS4 you can run all of them.

it will be very interesting to see what happens when the PS4 is at a stage were devs start to pick and choose effects again
    I have some friends that are predominantly or entirely PC gaming and think there is not going to be much of a graphical leap this gen. Its one of those things though, we cant imagine it before its more or less proven with games showing the boost. 1st gen games from both consoles are showing marked improvements over the previous gen.

Banned

While I don't consider this a confirmation of hUMA, if the the PS4 does indeed have it then that is good news. Anything that might make the gaming experience potentially better as a player I'm all for.

Elite Guru

It probably won't be big issue this generation, at least not to the same degree. We are at the point now with hardware where all the visual effects to produce flexible/realistic visuals are available and fast enough.

Better development tools and techniques will be the big decider this generation rather than juggling effects.

CaptainZ
    Microsoft's engineers in a Xbox One behind the scenes video in the Xbox One labs came out and said they didn't shoot for the highest end graphics solution. That can hardly be called hiding the fact. In fact.... he VOLUNTEERED that info in the video, it was never said in response to a question asked of him. Volunteering info like that is the opposite of hiding. Answering questions he was never asked. That's pretty upfront.
    Link please?

MS has nothing but upfront with all this transistor and nonsense. They are very evasive about spec.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    While I don't consider this a confirmation of hUMA, if the the PS4 does indeed have it then that is good news. Anything that might make the gaming experience potentially better as a player I'm all for.
    Now if every post was like this rather than trying to discredit the source all because one console may or may not implement the same features

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    The thing is..... I've have been one of those people that says..."You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not."

You know where that has gotten me? NOWHERE! We still had people bagging on Xbox One MONTHS before it's reveal. Then they went into overdrive after the reveal. Finding every negative article, poll or opinion of a lowly nobody blogger and make constant threads on them..........DESPITE us saying we like the Xbox One for what it is.

When somebody posts a negative thread in the Xbox One section and then states I'M ONLY THE MESSENGER...... they AREN'T just a messenger to innocently inform users. When they say DON'T SHOOT ME, I'M ONLY THE MESSENGER...on this forum that's PRECISELY what they deserve. Only people that have a long track record of bagging on the Xbox One feel a need to say such things. People who post negative articles who don't have a long history of doing so NEVER feel the need to preface their post with the I'M ONLY THE MESSENGER declaration.

How many Xbox fans are going into the Playstation sections constant bagging on Sony and always trying to convince Sony fans to abandon their console of choice? The Xbox fan has to CONSTANTLY put up with people asking us why are we giving greedy Microsoft our money. Why we would put up with a console with lessor specs....etc etc etc. They even take shots at the Xbox platform and it's fans in their SIGs. How many Xbox fans are trashing the PlayStation brand and it's fans in their SIGs? NONE!

They keep claiming Xbox One is all about TV TV TV TV ....SIMPLY because the debut featured it prominently. Then when E3 rolled around and it was GAMES GAME GAMES.... redemption? NOPE. Haters still wanted to talk about TV TV TV from the debut even though Microsoft showed they were serious about gaming.

Microsoft announced MORE new IPs in the works for Xbox One than were announced for BOTH Xbox and Xbox 360 COMBINED! How in the $#@! can someone say with a straight face they aren't serious about games after announcing all that?

Notice Microsoft has basically said little about the TV functions since the debut, but that's all the haters want to talk about. It's one of MANY things the Xbox One can do........ it's not it's MAIN function.. It's still plenty of a gaming machine. You don't put an 8-core CPU with 32 MB of ESRAM and 8GB of RAM in there if a console's main function is TV TV TV functions. Just cuz a console has specs that are less, doesn't mean it's any less of a gaming machine. It simply means it's a gaming machine with lessor specs.

So NO.... simply saying "You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not." does NOT garner anymore respect or make us less susceptible to harassment. It happened most of the PS3/360 era and it's back in force again this coming gen.

I will agree that the staff have done a fairly decent job of trying to lessen it lately..... but it's ONLY happening cuz of threats of bans..... NOT BECAUSE I said "You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not." and people respected that.

That's why I respectfully disagree with what you said and think you are being disingenuous.
    Bro, you're on the Playstation 4 forum on Playstation Universe, what were you expecting? It's like getting pissed that someone is talking trash about your sports team in your rivals stadium.

28. Likes Christopher , VayMasters86 likes this post
    Superior Member

You need a hug bro? It's just a difference of opinion, nothing more nothing less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

30. Likes Christopher , VayMasters86 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG44 View Post
    You need a hug bro? It's just a difference of opinion, nothing more nothing less.
    I agree, like what you want to like and try not to let it bother you. It's not like you're alone. The PS owners put up with the same thing all last generation from 360 fans. It's just a circle. Some people will give you a hard time and some won't. If you were never one who dished it out, then good for you.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post
    Link please?

MS has nothing but upfront with all this transistor and nonsense. They are very evasive about spec.
    http://www.viddler.com/v/10738ac4?secret=81714898

You can watch the whole thing or go to about the 5:40 mark of the video where he makes the statement. This video is from back in May.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Now if every post was like this rather than trying to discredit the source all because one console may or may not implement the same features

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    That wasn't my purpose. When people said PS4's OS footprint was 3.5GB in memory, I said I won't believe it until it's confirmed. Although when Sony rushed to do damage control, they strangely refused to talk about what the size of the OS was in memory. This led people to believe it must be true. It might be, but I said until there was confirmation, I'm not gonna believe it.

That's what I'm saying here too about hUMA. When a retraction is done of an off the cuff comment that was said by someone from the company who may or may not know what they are talking about, that means it's not an official confirmation. It might be true, but until AMD or Sony goes officially on record saying so, I'm not gonna believe it either.

Quote Originally Posted by PS4THEWIN View Post
    Bro, you're on the Playstation 4 forum on Playstation Universe, what were you expecting? It's like getting pissed that someone is talking trash about your sports team in your rivals stadium.
    I was addressing his comments about us saying "You know what? I like the XBox One for what it is. I don't care if you agree with me or not." And I'm calling out that saying so wouldn't garner any more respect from him nor would making such a statement make the insults towards us lessen in anyway. I just got worked up over it cuz such statements are ludicrous.

I know I'm on a PlayStation site. I just expected better behavior in the Xbox section. I don't dump on Nintendo fans who like the Wii-U in the Nintendo section because I don't like the console. I just avoid the section and leave them be. No need to dump on their parade. I was just asking the same courtesy for the Xbox section if you don't like the console.

EDIT: Dayuuuum this forum was $#@! tonight! First I couldn't get on the forums, then the front page went down as well. Will this site ever be fixed?
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 08-25-2013 at 10:10.

Thread Information