Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    Items User name style

Shadow of the Beast

This needs a thread, now.

Reboot of a classic Amiga side-scroller that was noted for its state of the art graphics for the time and great music.

I completely forgot about this franchise, and it seems Sony ended up owning it, Psygnosis was the original publisher and Sony bought them and they eventually became Studio Liver Pool.

I'm glad this is being made, the game really gives off that late 80s-90s feel with a main character that has an inhuman look and feel about him. The trailer made me think of other games like Altered Beast, Oddworld, MDK, and Akuji the Heartless.

Some details Sony posted elsewhere (can't find the link now), seems to confirm that this will be a third-person action game with a lot of camera angles, they're also emphasizing the world of Karamoon itself, which makes me think there may be some exploration involved too.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 08-23-2013 at 17:48.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I would definitely like to see more of this title.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    I need my hack 'n slash fix until a new God of War comes out, at the very least.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I was impressed by this at the conference yesterday. Look forward to seeing more.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    I wonder if that's what the engine looks like?

Probably not, but doesn't seem impossible going by what we've seen of next-gen so far.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah the trailer at Sony's conference was awesome. I definitely want to see more.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Nice, played a lil bit of this game in the early-mid 90s on my friend's old Amiga. I mention the game to him every now and then, dunno why. I hope it's a fully open world game. The old side scroller was just itching to be turned into an open 3D world. It's also a 1st party exclusive. SCE Studio Liverpool(Sony's oldest dev team) is the developer, which once was Psygnosis who owns the IP. There's so many old games under Sony's ownership from their dev teams that they can breath new life into. I hope this is just the beginning, along with actual new IPs like Knack that are coming.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    The developer is actually Heavy Spectrum, which is a fairly new indie team, but Sony is publishing it, so I guess technically its not so indie.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 08-21-2013 at 19:58.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    The trailer looked pretty cool. I never played the original but I'm looking forward to this.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    The developer is actually Heavy Spectrum, which is a fairly new indie team, but Sony is publishing it, so I guess technically its not so indie.
    Oh, true, well Sony owns the IP. That's most important, so if it turns out to be a big hit, then they got another top franchise under their belts.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I still consider indie because of the developers doing it. Also, Sony always lets the developers do what they want. I don't believe Sony puts up barriers and restrictions to add in the game, they always leave it up to the developers. So in this case if the developers are indie/underground devs, they will stay that way until they do their first AAA game. once other companies want them that is the end of the road as an indie dev in my opinion of course.

Elite Sage
    Whoah, I didn't know Sony owned the IP. How nice that they are bringing Shadow of the Beast back. Trailer was little generic but I really hope the gameplay will be glorious. And I hope it won't be like God of War, because it would be pointless to have two same kind of games.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Totally hope that trailer was in-game like The Order 1886.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Shadow of the Beast

Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Totally hope that trailer was in-game like The Order 1886.
    There wasn't much going on in the trailer, so it's definitely possible. Whoever uploaded that video is a derp, though. It's so choppy even though there are smooth videos available online. YouTube has a horrendous compression algorithm, though.

But they probably would've said it was in-game in the trailer if it was.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Some details Sony posted elsewhere (can't find the link now), seems to confirm that this will be a third-person action game with a lot of camera angles, they're also emphasizing the world of Karamoon itself, which makes me think there may be some exploration involved too.
    Does seem that it will at least be somewhat open world going off the key features of exploring and discovering quests.

Key Features:

Explore the eerie, yet beautiful world of Karamoon, discover secret quests and unravel itís darkest secrets in your bid to overthrow Maletoth.
    Battle hordes of enemies in ferocious adrenaline fuelled combat, unlocking increasingly brutal moves as you draw power from the blood of your enemies.
    Discover the souls of other players and summon them to fight at your side, or to lead the way to new locations.
    Enter Survival mode to put yourself to the test, against increasingly cunning enemies in endless visceral combat.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/20/shad...sively-to-ps4/
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Any idea who is making it?

Also they should have a double feature with I and II.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraTrstrL View Post
    Oh, true, well Sony owns the IP. That's most important, so if it turns out to be a big hit, then they got another top franchise under their belts.
    True that. I had no idea that Sony even owned it until I realized that it was a Psygnosis game. I miss that old-school owl logo. Was hoping for a new Colony Wars but this maybe an even better Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool game to pull out of the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin View Post
    Whoah, I didn't know Sony owned the IP. How nice that they are bringing Shadow of the Beast back. Trailer was little generic but I really hope the gameplay will be glorious. And I hope it won't be like God of War, because it would be pointless to have two same kind of games.
    Sony owns a $#@! ton of IPs, more than just what you can find listed on their SCE wikipedia page. That's just what happens when you acquire more studios than anyone else by far.

And I have no problem with two marquee games of the same genre. I can't get tired of multiple 3rd person action/adventure, just like I can't get tired of multiple RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Any idea who is making it?

Also they should have a double feature with I and II.
    Heavy Spectrum, they've made a couple of casual Playstation Mobile games, so this will be their first real project.

It seems to be a passion project for the CEO of the company:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/...coming-to-ps4/

Hi PlayStation Blog-ists. We are so happy today to be talking about our latest project Ė Shadow of the Beast!For us at Heavy Spectrum to be working on this game is a dream come true. We have a unique and innovative gameplay idea, and a chance to build something truly special; a game that captures the essence of a treasured personal experience.
    Nearly 25 years ago, a game was released that would burn a lasting impression on the mind of gamers,Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga.

For us, and for me specifically, playing it conjured a world of mysteries, something that went beyond what was shown on the screen, a world where my imagination had cause to soar! Even when not playing, I couldnít help but wonder about the strange creatures and places I had seen, and ponder what further details would reveal themselves the next time I would play.

Now itís our turn to build this game, we are excited to use the power of PlayStation 4 to create a Shadow of the Beast that can bring gamers that rare type of evocative experience that we enjoyed as a kids playing the original game.
    We want to create a magical combination of unique combat and gameplay to enthral you as a player, with a mystical world that can engage you as a person. Our vision of Karamoon is filled with beauty, brutality and mystery, whilst allowing you as the player an opportunity to try and piece together what happened to make it and its denizens the way they are.
    We think itís going to be really exciting to see the new experiences Sonyís support of indie development will bring, and we are humbled to be bringing our innovation to this game.
    We hope youíve enjoyed this brief glimpse into what weíre doing, and we canít wait to share more aboutShadow of the Beast as our journey unfolds!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    This game is a passion of mine too. I had close to 150 Amiga 500/600 games as a kid.
    My Amiga 600 had a 8MB HDD I think, lol.

You know what would be cool, if SONY bought the rights to Cinemaware games and released games such as Wings, It Came From The Desert I & II, Rocketman... as PSN titles.

Shadow Of The Beast (Long Play)
    Last edited by mickice; 08-22-2013 at 04:03.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    Lovin the art style

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AsuraOkami
    And i didn't see this game until now, where was i at. Very intriguing.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Shadow Of The Beast (Long Play)
    That music is ridiculously good.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    That music is ridiculously good.
    Some of these older games had some amazing soundtracks. The Guardian Legend on NES comes to mind.

"The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Any clue as to what sort of game it's going to be? I mean can we assume it won't be a sidescrolling brawler? I guess God of War style action game is the most likely

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Any clue as to what sort of game it's going to be? I mean can we assume it won't be a sidescrolling brawler? I guess God of War style action game is the most likely
    The main series is kind of a metroidvania sidescroller. So, this type of game can work well in a 3D open world, where you are constantly going back and forth to places you've been before to do new things and reach new areas with new abilities and weapons you've unlocked. Dunno what they plan, but it seems to be a very natural option to go full 3D open world with it.

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    Is Sony going to publish this? Full retail game or PSN?

I need more details.

Thread Information