Banned

Will Xbox work out the box if no net connection availablle?

just been reading an interview that Eurogamer have done with Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles

and i noticed the following...
    A patch will be required when the Xbox One is first connected to the internet in order to enable offline mode and update the system software.
    so the obvious question...

if you buy Xbox and have no internet connection, will it work if it needs this patch to work offline and if so... are retailers making this aware to people who may buy the system?

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Even tho we know this now, people will still $#@! and moan when the xb1 Comes out. I don't think retailers will tell consumers about it

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AsuraOkami
    We as gamers of course know of the requirement, but retailers aren't going to say anything(unless you go to gamestop) and consumers won't even bother finding anything about the console either.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I wonder if MS will offer a patch disc through the retailer or throw one in the box. Should be a way for customers who have no internet to update the system day one.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

5. Likes Saigon, Foraeli likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    You could always take it to your local Gamestop and get it updated there, but it is still problematic for others. Microsoft never anticipated to make the reversal of the DRM, and that will effect launch consoles, assuming the software has already been installed.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    You could always take it to your local Gamestop and get it updated there, but it is still problematic for others. Microsoft never anticipated to make the reversal of the DRM, and that will effect launch consoles, assuming the software has already been installed.

Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    I wonder if MS will offer a patch disc through the retailer or throw one in the box. Should be a way for customers who have no internet to update the system day one.
    That's very smart and simple. Sounds like a good remedy to the problem.

Ultimate Veteran
    this patch will be on the fifa game disc thast why ms is bundleing it with every console. when i frist got my ps3
    i did not hook it up to the net and new games came with the newest fw from sony.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    this patch will be on the fifa game disc
    FIFA with every Xbox One is a digital download code.

10. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Banned

@aarongreenberg reading on Eurogamer that a patch is needed on first connection to enable offline. if your not connected will Xbox not work?

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg 7m
    @Yungstar_2006 As we have always said there is a day one update. This way we can get everyone latest SW bits.
    no answer about not being connected then...

Super Elite
    Buy a 500 dollar console, but don't have internet service?
    I don't see this as a widespread problem, but you could take it to your friends house for a few minutes to get the update.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    no answer about not being connected then...
    If I worked for Microsoft and someone asked me that question, my reply would be:

"If you don't connect to get the latest patch, your Xbox will not work to play games"

How hard is that for them to state? Don't dance around with "as we have always said". Give the $#@!ing answer, and don't sugar coat it.

14. Likes TEJ2025 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Would phone tethering be a work around for this? I'm sure a lot of those people who may not have internet might have a cellphone with mobile internet. Or like said above they could go round a friends house briefly.. or take it to a store and ask them to do it for them.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Would phone tethering be a work around for this? I'm sure a lot of those people who may not have internet might have a cellphone with mobile internet. Or like said above they could go round a friends house briefly.. or take it to a store and ask them to do it for them.
    I imagine it will be about 1% of households that buy an Xbox One and don't have internet.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Yeah I also think that too. If they can't afford internet I'm doubting they most likely won't be affording a console but you never know.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Want me to say it again? lol.

It will work. It just won't have the latest firmware. It will have firmware that will be able to play games. You just might have some OS features missing.. who knows. I guarantee though, there's no way you get an Xbox One that won't play a launch game, without the internet.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Want me to say it again? lol.

It will work. It just won't have the latest firmware. It will have firmware that will be able to play games. You just might have some OS features missing.. who knows. I guarantee though, there's no way you get an Xbox One that won't play a launch game, without the internet.
    I hope you are right, because there will be millions and millions of people without internet that will be buying an Xbox One, and if it doesn't work, you will have some 'splainin to do.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I haven't been wrong yet.

Thread Information