Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

MS Hot Chip Conference XBOX One Silicon (Update)

Hot Chip conference

Mon 8/26

9:30 AM SoC 1 AMD’s Kabini APU SoC Dan Bouvier, Ben Bates, Walter Fry and Sreekanth Godey AMD

XBOX One Silicon John Sell and Pat O’Connor Microsoft

Msoft XBox One supports shared coherent memory between 8 AMD Jaguar cores and DX 11.1+ GPU like @hsafoundation

https://twitter.com/rickbmerritt/sta...42121777541120

XBox One SOC has a CPU, GPU, and 15 special-purpose processors. Total of 47MB of storage on-chip. #HC25

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Bowers/st...39785453346816

Hot Chips: At 363mm2 with over 5b transistors the Xbox One SoC designed by Microsoft and AMD is a very complex SoC.

https://twitter.com/TekStrategist/st...41324871946240

Audio offload processor in XBox One SoC are "completely designed by Microsoft" and have "more than a CPU core worth of processing" #HC25

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Bowers/st...41578639929345

XBox One CPU has eight "modified" AMD Jaguar x86-64 cores, in two clusters of four cores. Modifiations to memory sharing & bandwidth. #HC25

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Bowers/st...40673618182144

The road leading up to the reveal of both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 was a long one. With countless rumors, leaked specifications and assumptions about the hardware, many lines in the sand were drawn far before actual specifications were released.

Today we may finally have some confirmation of what we can expect from the Xbox One and, surprise-surprise, they are very similar to what we have expected all this time. During the Hot Chips conference the performance of the Xbox One has been revealed:

8GB Flash memory
    15 special purpose processors
    4 Command processors (2 compute, 2 graphics)
    SHAPE offloads >1 CPU core
    Memory coherency between CPU cores and GPU
    Audio offload processor custom designed by Microsoft - 1 CPU core worth of processing.
    68 GB/sec peak bandwidth to off-chip 8GB DDR3 memory.
    204 GB/s peak bandwidth to 32MB of on-die storage.
    The most important thing to note here is that the Xbox One supports shared coherent memory between 8 AMD Jaguar cores and it's DX 11.1+ GPU. This type of memory allocation could is very similar to hUMA - an architecture that was said to give the PlayStation 4 a massive advantage as per AMD.

Be sure to check out the photo to see the system architecture yourself. In the mean time, subscribe to me here, on YouTube at YouTube/Pitmonkey and follow me on Twitter @NicholasGigante as more news comes out of the Hot Chip conference.

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox...ips-conference.
    Some noteworthy stuff:
    - 8GB Flash memory
    - 15 special purpose processors
    - 4 Command processors (2 compute, 2 graphics)
    - SHAPE offloads >1 CPU core
    - Memory coherency between CPU cores and GPU (also caches) - huma?
    - Note that little arrow between the CPU and the ESRAM - CPU can read/write to/from the ESRAM?

Xbox One uses Tensilica for audio and other cores.

- https://twitter.com/rickbmerritt/sta...97331568857089

More info on Tensilica here
    : http://tensilica.com/

"Cadence's Tensilica processor cores excel in the SOC dataplane. That's where the hardest data-intensive work must be done to create the low-power, high-speed electronic devices consumers want today. We call these cores DPUs (dataplane processing units).

Because they're optimized for the power, performance, and area requirements, DPUs deliver 10-100x more performance than standard CPUs and DSPs. Other benefits include:
    Easy customization with our patented automated tools.
    Product differentiation – each DPU can be unique, making it almost impossible to copy.
    Reduced time to market – dramatically less verification time.
    Flexibility – Because it's programmable you can make changes after tape-out.
    Last edited by X2; 08-26-2013 at 23:57.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Super Elite
    Were they waiting on AMD to finially reveal the specs?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Expect high praise from AMD. What else are they going to say about a customer?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Expect high praise from AMD. What else are they going to say about a customer?
    True. We do the same at Hilton Corporation. We praise all of our customers, vendors and associates.

5. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    True. We do the same at Hilton Corporation. We praise all of our customers, vendors and associates.
    Hotel management?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Soldier 95B
    Hotel management?

I work for an investment company, and we own a couple Hilton Hotel properties (as well as some ski property, land leases and theater management). I am in accounting, but I graduated college in Hospitality and Tourism Management.

Elite Guru

@Leisuresuitlarry

Thats not the point of the conference. Its about ground breaking technology. MS has something to show. They did it 8 yrs ago with the 360.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Maybe it's about the silicon in kinect

I work for an investment company, and we own a couple Hilton Hotel properties (as well as some ski property, land leases and theater management). I am in accounting, but I graduated college in Hospitality and Tourism Management.
    Ah....cool. Where did you go to college?

Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    @Leisuresuitlarry

Thats not the point of the conference. Its about ground breaking technology. MS has something to show. They did it 8 yrs ago with the 360.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Should be interesting.

Soldier 95B
    Ah....cool. Where did you go to college?.
    I went to University of Wisconsin. Graduated in 2002. I was in the military for 8 years which helped pay for some of the tuition.

Superior Member
    I went to University of Wisconsin. Graduated in 2002. I was in the military for 8 years which helped pay for some of the tuition.
    Right in the middle of liberal looney-ville Madison! Ahhh yes... as they say... Madison, Wisconsin....77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality!

Forum Elder
    perhaps like Hotchips 2011 (showing at Hotchips), MS will be talking about Kinect and not Xbox?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Is this where they tell us about some super secret AMD tech they worked on behind closed doors that out trumps everything in the galaxy known to man?!!

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yea, can't wait to hear about this super CPU you believe in X2. You know, the one that will apparently revolutionize everything and scare Intel with its insane 48 threads.

As you said 2 weeks ago:

I cant wait to the Hotchip conference.

The 360 had three cores. 2 threads per core. Each core was able to do 2 operations per cycle. 6 operations per cycle over the three cores.

8 cores 6 threads per core equal 48 operations per cycle over 8 cores. Downplay it if u want but this can from the horses mouth not mines.

I really, really think you're going to be disappointed with this conference if you're expecting some kind of mindblowing release of information that magically bridges the performance gap or, as you have said so many times in the past, "makes it superior" its competitor.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    perhaps like Hotchips 2011 (showing at Hotchips), MS will be talking about Kinect and not Xbox?
    Honestly, I was thinking something along these lines also. Performance, hUMA and everything else put aside, MS has put a rather interesting machine together that is deeply integrated with Kinect 2. Well worth a discussion talking about all the subtle hardware changes it made to the APU, mainly the Move engines and Esram.....Still not fully sure what the move engines do mind.....

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Right in the middle of liberal looney-ville Madison! Ahhh yes... as they say... Madison, Wisconsin....77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality!
    The sooner I get out of Madison, the better. Believe me. UGH!

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Microsoft isn't presenting with AMD. AMD has their own session booked for the 9:30AM slot along with Microsoft and Intel. I don't know if the three sessions will take place at the same time in different areas/rooms or if they AMD will go first then Microsoft followed by Intel.

The session is likely going to be about the Xbox One SoC but not because it has some super advanced CPU that some believe it will have. It will be because Xbox One is the only other device (the other being the PS4) that currently has a AMD APU with an 8-core CPU, an AMD APU with an more advanced GPU than most others (besides PS4), an AMD APU custom build for ESRAM and Data Move Engines.

Kinect 2.0 will also like be a big focus of this session with how much money Microsoft has invested in it and how focused the console is around it.
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    Microsoft isn't presenting with AMD. AMD has their own session booked for the 9:30AM slot along with Microsoft and Intel. I don't know if the three sessions will take place at the same time in different areas/rooms or if they AMD will go first then Microsoft followed by Intel.

The session is likely going to be about the Xbox One SoC but not because it has some super advanced CPU that some believe it will have. It will be because Xbox One is the only other device (the other being the PS4) that currently has a AMD APU with an 8-core CPU, an AMD APU with an more advanced GPU than most others (besides PS4), an AMD APU custom build for ESRAM and Data Move Engines.

Kinect 2.0 will also like be a big focus of this session with how much money Microsoft has invested in it and how focused the console is around it.
    i can see intel and amd talking new/future chips and MS talking about Kinect 2.0 and how it uses the Xbox.

based on what i read around the forums, i think if amd were to talk chips in new consoles it will use PS4 as it's discussion point.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Is this where they tell us about some super secret AMD tech they worked on behind closed doors that out trumps everything in the galaxy known to man?!!
    My guess is that this will be when we will all find out how similar the One and PS4 chips really are.

The downside is that those who's self worth depends on which console is "better" than the other will go into a suicidal state.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    They will be discussing the cpu, gpu memory and the Move Engines. This is a high End high profile prestige event. MS will not go there to embarass themselves talking tech from an old Durango SDK that has 3 year old cpu gpu. Ms will release specs in a pdf like they did in 2005 HotChips for the x360.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    My guess is that this will be when we will all find out how similar the One and PS4 chips really are.

The downside is that those who's self worth depends on which console is "better" than the other will go into a suicidal state.
    Nope, it won't even be close. Keep in mind the xb1 is a full custom system.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 08-25-2013 at 15:21. Reason: merged double post

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

CaptainZ
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Hot Chip conference

Mon 8/26

9:30 AM SoC 1 AMD’s Kabini APU SoC Dan Bouvier, Ben Bates, Walter Fry and Sreekanth Godey AMD

XBOX One Silicon John Sell and Pat O’Connor Microsoft

Come Monday we all should know what the Xbone is capable of. It seems AMD and MS will be presenting together.
    X1 is so capable, so that MS hides their own spec that way they don't advertise the gap between PS4.

At best, they talk about small features and more transistor and very vague about the spec.

MS would not have been so evasive about it for this long if it was very capable as you say.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post
    X1 is so capable, so that MS hides their own spec that way they don't advertise the gap between PS4.

At best, they talk about small features and more transistor and very vague about the spec.

MS would not have been so evasive about it for this long if it was very capable as you say.
    Nope, they will be talking silicon xb1 architecture cpu, gpu, memory, Move Engines like i said in my post this is a hi end hi profile prestige even. Also AMD will be talking about the technology behind their new Volcanic Island Hawaii G-cards.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post

while i imagine the PS4 will be the much more powerful machine. perhaps MS have tried to keep the spec under wraps so that Sony can't react to what they have, the way they did by putting 8gb into the PS4 and now have a bigger OS?

CaptainZ
    while i imagine the PS4 will be the much more powerful machine. perhaps MS have tried to keep the spec under wraps so that Sony can't react to what they have, the way they did by putting 8gb into the PS4 and now have a bigger OS?
    There is not much you can do at this point... Majority of spec are set in stone. You can bump up ram and some clock rate. That is about it.

Ram we already have enough. Clock rate on chips won't have much impact.

MS needs to take different approach with their product. It is no secret they are out horsepowered. They need to focus on why Kinect is killer feature. Why TV is so cool or w/e. Divert the talk from specs.
    Last edited by CaptainZ; 08-24-2013 at 22:59.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Sony only kept the 8GB under wraps until they officially revealed the PS4 6 months ago. There really isn't anything that can be done to change the hardware side anymore and hasn't been for awhile.

Microsoft has reversed policies, included a free game with preorders and more all to counter bad press and try to add value to the system versus the PS4. If they had a CPU or anything else that made it stick out from the PS4 they wouldn't wait until an event that barely anyone knows about to reveal it; it would be an highlight in every single official Microsoft spec sheet and used as an talking point in at least one of their conferences by now.

I don't know why some keep going on about how MS wouldn't show an old CPU or GPU, it's not an old CPU or GPU it's a new APU. As I said in the other post, it is the only other AMD APU with an 8-core CPU and a more advanced GPU that most other AMD APUs, it is the only AMD APU with ESRAM and the only APU that makes use of something like the Data Move Engines.

It is funny that Microsoft supposedly wouldn't talk about an APU with an Jaguar CPU cores when in the same 9:30am slot AMD is going to discuss the Kabini APU which uses Jaguar CPU cores. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One APU even share many features and similarities to the AMD Kabini APU.
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

Thread Information