Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    CaptainZ
    I have no doubt MS will only talk about some transistor or very minor features that PS4 do not have and keep entire spec under wraps.

I am not saying MS is a bad company. If Sony is the one with significantly weaker console(spec wise), they would be doing what MS is doing.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post
    I have no doubt MS will only talk about some transistor or very minor features that PS4 do not have and keep entire spec under wraps.

I am not saying MS is a bad company. If Sony is the one with significantly weaker console(spec wise), they would be doing what MS is doing.
    Do you really think MS and its top engineers will go there to embarasso themselves talking transistors?

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    @Leisuresuitlarry

Thats not the point of the conference. Its about ground breaking technology. MS has something to show. They did it 8 yrs ago with the 360.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't necessarily say that because this conference could be a combination of several things. Grant it this is technically new technology but MS might be showing how they implemented the SoC along with the eSRAM. It can also be in regards to clarify what is actually in the Xbone. Either way I will be looking forward to hear the technical aspects of this system since most of the information has been vague. I know this won't happen but I also hope they use this time to clarify the Cloud infrastructure they plan to use, since there have been so many heavily claims on the technology.

CaptainZ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Do you really think MS and its top engineers will go there to embarasso themselves talking transistors?
    Because they have not done that in bigger stage?

PSN ID
    ahoo_maniacs
    There is not much you can do at this point... Majority of spec are set in stone. You can bump up ram and some clock rate. That is about it.

Ram we already have enough. Clock rate on chips won't have much impact.

MS needs to take different approach with their product. It is no secret they are out horsepowered. They need to focus on why Kinect is killer feature. Why TV is so cool or w/e. Divert the talk from specs.
    If anything, Kinect or TV features will be the last thing they'll be talking about at this type of event. As "The Sith" has stated, this is a high prestige event. No company goes there talking about light weight features. The only reason your there, and as proof by their archives, if you have anything relevant to the tech industry to show.

Xbox One Silicon, not Kinect silicon although I want hear more of about it. Microsoft has something to offer, because from what I have searched so far, Sony hasn't come up with anything besides the spec they stated. Microsoft has showed more than enough through this whole year. From hardware tiling with Tiled Resources to Azure with cloud computing. So yeah, it's going to be interesting coming next week.

I hear they've made a big deal of the silicon they implemented themselves which is something we need to consider and not take lightly. Also, that John Sell was a Senior Fellow at AMD and now is "Partner Hardware Architect" at Microsoft, now presenting the Xbox One Silicon conference...
    Last edited by HardTile_; 08-26-2013 at 09:52.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTile_ View Post
    If anything, Kinect or TV features will be the last thing they'll be talking about at this type of event. As "The Sith" has stated, this is a high prestige event. No company goes there talking about light weight features. The only reason your there, and as proof by their archives, if you have anything ground breaking to show.

Xbox One Silicon, not Kinect silicon although I want hear more of about it. Microsoft has something to offer, because from what I have searched so far, Sony hasn't come up with anything besides the spec they showed. Microsoft has showed more than enough through this whole year. From hardware tiling with Tiled Resources to Azure with cloud computing. So yeah, it's going to be interesting coming next week.
    You haven't done much searching then just as you missed the post where MS sole focus was on Kinect at Hot Chips 2011. Microsoft considers Kinect a central part of this console strategy and where they have spent a great deal of money in.

I don't doubt they will talk about more than Kinect 2.0 but it will be to go into more detail about the specs. I very much doubt it will have anything to do with some type of super spec (or secret sauce) like 12GB RAM, 12-core CPU, 20cu 2tf GPU, etc. that MS has kept secret all along for this sole event.

Why is it embarrassing for Microsoft to talk about an APU with an 8-core Jaguar CPU but it isn't embarrassing for AMD to talk about a APU with 2 to 4 core (depending on model) Jaguar CPU; not only that but with a lesser GPU and no ESRAM? This is exactly what AMD is doing in the same 9:30am time frame as Microsoft.

Every leaked spec for the PS4 and Xbox One with the exception of the PS4 RAM (for obvious reasons). This exact conversation has taken place before every event since the PS4 reveal, that there is no way the leaked specs are real and that MS would give Sony that type of edge and the passing of every event has done nothing but solidify the leaked specs. There is no reason to doubt them at this point.

I hear they've made a big deal of the silicon they implemented themselves which is something we need to consider and not take lightly. Also, that John Sell was a Senior Fellow at AMD and now is "Partner Hardware Architect" at Microsoft, now presenting the Xbox One Silicon conference...
    John Sell went to work at Microsoft in January 2005 before the Xbox 360 was released, any influence or inside knowledge he would have on AMD products as long since passed.
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 08-26-2013 at 10:35.
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

7. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    For anybody doubting what sort of stuff MS presents at these Hot Chips.

http://www.hotchips.org/wp-content/u.../HC17.S8T4.pdf

And while it could be about the Kinect silicon, it is sandwiched between and presented in the SOC1 presentation.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    For anybody doubting what sort of stuff MS presents at these Hot Chips.

http://www.hotchips.org/wp-content/u.../HC17.S8T4.pdf

And while it could be about the Kinect silicon, it is sandwiched between and presented in the SOC1 presentation.
    Hopefully they are that detailed for a X1 spec reveal

Edit: Says that the OS consumes none of the CPU cores while gaming, how they manage that?! :P
    Last edited by Sajuuk Khar; 08-26-2013 at 12:45.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Because they have not done that in bigger stage?
    This is the same event they used in August 2005 to show off the x360 architecture cpu gpu and memory.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    Edit: Says that the OS consumes none of the CPU cores while gaming, how they manage that?! :P
    perhaps once the game loads it takes over from the OS and only returns back when you quit to the frontend? hence why things are not instant the way they promise to be with the Xbox and it's 3 OS's.

PSN ID
    ahoo_maniacs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    ...you missed the post where MS sole focus was on Kinect at Hot Chips 2011. Microsoft considers Kinect a central part of this console strategy and where they have spent a great deal of money in.
    Okay, I can understand how I would miss the point from the year 2011, but I was simply stating what is shown in the conference happening today, which states "Xbox One Silicon". Kinect was considered something very new during that time and why Sony has made the PS Eye. So this should be aside from Kinect, probably a hint to it here and there.

Second paragraph of the main article:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xb...Hardware_Specs

So, Microsoft is going to be showing some interesting things today and how their custom built silicon SoC will work.

Yes, very true. John Sell did work at AMD since 2005, but he's still close to AMD which is located and where the Xbox One is being developed at. Where I live near in Mountain View (Silicon Valley).
    Last edited by HardTile_; 08-26-2013 at 18:58.

Forum Elder
    Okay, I can understand how I would miss the point from the year 2011, but I was simply stating what is shown in the conference happening today, which states "Xbox One Silicon".
    isn't Kinect 2.0 the first silicon MS will have developed themselves?

Elite Guru

Info is already flowing out check neogaf. X1 full hsa and huma

XBox One SOC has a CPU, GPU, and 15 special-purpose processors. Total of 47MB of storage on-chip. #HC25

Hot Chips: At 363mm2 with over 5b transistors the Xbox One SoC designed by Microsoft and AMD is a very complex SoC.

Audio offload processor in XBox One SoC are "completely designed by Microsoft" and have "more than a CPU core worth of processing" #HC25

XBox One CPU has eight "modified" AMD Jaguar x86-64 cores, in two clusters of four cores. Modifiations to memory sharing & bandwidth. #HC25

Last edited by X2; 08-26-2013 at 18:44.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

PSU Technical Advisor
    Info is already flowing out check neogaf. X1 full hsa and huma

XBox One SOC has a CPU, GPU, and 15 special-purpose processors. Total of 47MB of storage on-chip. #HC25

Hot Chips: At 363mm2 with over 5b transistors the Xbox One SoC designed by Microsoft and AMD is a very complex SoC.

Audio offload processor in XBox One SoC are "completely designed by Microsoft" and have "more than a CPU core worth of processing" #HC25

XBox One CPU has eight "modified" AMD Jaguar x86-64 cores, in two clusters of four cores. Modifiations to memory sharing & bandwidth. #HC25

Yup. No "super CPU", just a jaguar.

Wish Sony did something like this. Have they or will they and I just don't know it?

These presentations are always need to read about, lots of cool info.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 08-26-2013 at 18:57.

Elite Guru

Info is still coming out and the chip is too custom to be called a regular jaguar.

High-speed CPU � GPU / memory connection of R / W of, 4x256-bit 264GB / s DDR3 4 channel, GPU, the GPU memory.

Last edited by X2; 08-26-2013 at 19:05.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Is there some where to see this?

Master Guru
    204gbs per sec instead of 192gbs

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    Is there some where to see this?
    https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=...&mode=realtime
    Follow it here.

Master Guru
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSm6FLNCIAAgffD.png:large
    http://semiaccurate.com/2013/08/26/xbox-one-details-in-pictures/

Diagram
    Last edited by The Sith; 08-26-2013 at 19:32.

Master Guru
    Coherent between CPU and GPU is HSA compliant.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Info is still coming out and the chip is too custom to be called a regular jaguar.

High-speed CPU � GPU / memory connection of R / W of, 4x256-bit 264GB / s DDR3 4 channel, GPU, the GPU memory.

None of that really has anything to do with Jaguar itself. I'd be genuinely surprised if MS did something to the chip apart from modifying the caches and fiddling with buses.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Some images from the conference from SemiAccurate.com

xb1-1.jpgxb1-2.jpgxb1-3.jpg

PSU Technical Advisor
    1.31 TF GPU. That's the final nail in the coffin right there for anybody buying into rumors that the GPU was not initially a 1.2TF part that got a modest upclock.

We can finally put that to rest.

Lol what is a swizzle?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Still in bed, just starting to read all this. Wow @full huma and hsa.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Still in bed, just starting to read all this. Wow @full huma and hsa.
    Apparently it may not but HUMA/HSA but HUMA/HSA like(similar solution as mention in the other thread). I don't believe MS mention HUMA/HSA at all and the blogs used "like HSA" to describe it.

Msoft XBox One supports shared coherent memory between 8 AMD Jaguar cores and DX 11.1+ GPU like @hsafoundation
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 08-26-2013 at 20:03.
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

Thread Information