Latest PSU headlines:

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style

Satellites spot powerful blackhole like whirlpools in the Atlantic ocean.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/satellites-...6.html#h0D8uTc

Satellites have shown two mysterious 'black hole' whirlpools in the South Atlantic ocean - ultra powerful “vortexes” which suck water down into the depths.

The whirpools - never witnessed before - would suck down ships, debris and even living creatures, moving 1.3 million cubic metres of water per second.

Two of the black holes - or “maelstroms” - have been sighted in three months by physicists from Zurich and Miami.

The powerful vortices of current have been described as ‘maelstroms’ and are ‘mathematical analogues’ for black holes – which is to say they do exactly the same with water that black holes do with light.

The discovery could give new insights into how oceanic currents transport debris and may even have implications for climate change studies.

Astronomical black holes bend space and time into a perpetually collapsing vortex. Light itself bends around them, which enables astronomers to recognise their existence.

Similarly, these oceanic maelstroms funnel current into an almost permanent spiral, trapping debris, oil and potentially living creatures in a body of water. Hardly anything leaks out.

The scientists used Edgar Allen Poe’s 1841 story ‘A descent into a Maelstrom’ to describe their discovery:
    “The edge of the whirl was represented by a broad belt of gleaming spray; but no particle of this slipped into the mouth of the terrific funnel…”

The ability to apply the same mathematical principles to water currents on earth as black holes in space is an unexpected side-effect of the theory of general relativity.

This phenomenon has been observed in the South Atlantic and South-western Indian Ocean, using satellite imagery designed to spot the aquatic equivalent of black hole currents. According to scientists, the maelstroms are prevalent in this area thanks to the southbound Agulhas current in the Indian Ocean.

In a three-month period, two perfect matches were found to mimic black hole behaviour, “We have found exceptionally coherent material belts in the South Atlantic, filled with analogues of photon spheres around black holes,” said George Haller, from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich and Francisco Beron-Vera at the University of Miami in Florida, who worked on the study.

The phrase ‘photon spheres’ refers to the light that is trapped around astronomical black holes, and in this instance is comparable to the rings of debris that are forming around these ocean maelstroms. As Haller and Beron-Vera’s findings note, ‘these vortices will capture and swallow nearby passively floating debris.’

In their research findings, Haller and Beron-Vora express their surprise at finding real-world examples that hold so closely to the theoretical equations. ‘Vortices in turbulence are often envisaged as rotating bodies of fluid, traveling as coherent islands in an otherwise incoherent ambient flow. This… …view is appealingly simple, yet challenging to apply in actual vortex detection.’

The maelstroms are detected by their rotating edges, which the scientists found were reliable indicators of the vortex within, based on pioneering research carried out by Stephen Hawking on black holes: ‘Intuitively, one expects that any…vortex in the fluid must contain such a singularity in its interior, just as all black holes are expected to contain Penrose-Hawking singularities. This expectation turns out to be correct’.

The singularities, as they have been termed, last for months at a time, moving across the ocean without interference from other currents.

Thus they can transport water of different temperatures and salinity to other areas of the ocean, potentially influencing the regional climate.

Haller and Beron-Vera found that the vortices transported water in a north-western direction 30% faster than had previously been reckoned – at a rate equating to 1.3 million cubic metres of water per second.

In addition, the maelstroms were found to occur four times deeper in the ocean than previously estimated; the study found examples as deep as 2000m below the surface.

2. Likes Foraeli, Morganator, avecha, keefy, Admartian , Yuuichi wishes they had posted this first.
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Dude I am taking an intro to oceanography class and we have one free paper to do choose a topic and you have just posted what I will write about!!
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

4. Likes Ixion wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I wonder if these tie to the Bermuda Triangle.

But, please be aliens please be aliens please be aliens.

6. Likes F34R wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    I wonder if these tie to the Bermuda Triangle.

But, please be aliens please be aliens please be aliens.
    BOTH!! lol Aliens would be nice.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Isn't this just freaky though? Think of all those stories that were told by people out in the ocean. Stories that could potentially match this description that many wrote off as lies/fibs could possibly be true.

Indoril Nerevar
    If this size is a more recent observation then it may indeed be a result of global climate change. There's a lot of concern over the shifting current streams under the ocean.

Two of the black holes - or “maelstroms” - have been sighted in three months by physicists from Zurich and Miami.

The powerful vortices of current have been described as ‘maelstroms’ and are ‘mathematical analogues’ for black holes – which is to say they do exactly the same with water that black holes do with light.
    I'm sorry, but this really bothered me. Unless the similarity ends purely at "**** gets sucked in yo," then there's absolutely no physical similarity there at all. Completely different mechanics in operation with not at all the same result.

10. Likes Shibby wishes they had posted this first.
    Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'm sorry, but this really bothered me. Unless the similarity ends purely at "**** gets sucked in yo," then there's absolutely no physical similarity there at all. Completely different mechanics in operation with not at all the same result.
    That's exactly what I was thinking... lol.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    If this size is a more recent observation then it may indeed be a result of global climate change. There's a lot of concern over the shifting current streams under the ocean.

well, Blackholes bend light so maybe these whirlpools bend water.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    End of the world is fast approaching or someone stole the plug to the ocean, lol.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    End of the world is fast approaching or someone stole the plug to the ocean, lol.
    Probably the latter. We need to find that plug!
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Super Elite
    Stay away from the event horizon

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    As for them saying it acts like a blackhole, it's rather vague. There are different theories of blackholes. One theory is that a blackhole compacts matter so basically an entire galaxy would be crushed to the size of a golfball but the weight is still the same. Which in my opinion is a very interesting theory. Now, acting like a blackhole doesn't mean it would have the same strength as a black hole but could it be possible for that water to compact material after it becomes ingulfed as far as one of the blackhole theories is concerned?

Super Elite
    if I were a fish, I would ride that sucker

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru

Wonder if this is pertaining to the planetary alignment we are about to go through with that other star system.......hmmmmm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    As for them saying it acts like a blackhole, it's rather vague. There are different theories of blackholes. One theory is that a blackhole compacts matter so basically an entire galaxy would be crushed to the size of a golfball but the weight is still the same. Which in my opinion is a very interesting theory. Now, acting like a blackhole doesn't mean it would have the same strength as a black hole but could it be possible for that water to compact material after it becomes ingulfed as far as one of the blackhole theories is concerned?
    There are many theories concerning black holes by none inconclusive as to how matter and energy is compacted within. The mass remains the same, not the weight (weight is simply the gravitational pull between objects). A black hole is a gravitational singularity, where the laws of physics operate in some incredibly bizarre ways. Atoms phase through each other and vibrate at high pitches, resonating through the collapsed system. But black holes are anything but simple. Their angular momentum and size can influence their physical properties, anywhere from simply acting as space vacuums to oscillating spacetime itself.

Light is massless, operating with qualities pertaining to both a particle and a wave. But it contains resting mass (also called invariant mass, which carries the force f=ma to its targets, exciting the particles it impacts) which operates as a basic thermodynamic exchange. This means light isn't influenced by gravity, but it does follow the flow of spacetime which is altered by gravity (thus being indirectly influenced in strong gravity wells). Technically the light is still flying a straight line, but the singularity is skewing spacetime so much that the light turns into an obit and is lost beyond the event horizon. It will circle independent of the well's time dilation and eventually join with the mass at the center. Some like to commonly confuse this bypass of time dilation as an error in Einstein's theory of relativity, but it's simply one property of the universe superseding the other.

Compared to a whirlpool? It's not remotely similar at all. A whirlpool is simply a difference in temperature or collision of streams causing a spiral formation to form within the water. It's like comparing an ion thruster to the blades of a helicopter, saying they're similar because they can move and lift a vehicle. Or that the wheels on a child's bicycle are similar to the Large Hadron Collider because both are round.

Edit: Also, water resists being compacted exceptionally well. It's why water pressure is so powerful and used for pistons or even to cut diamonds. Even the weight of the ocean atop miles barely crushes it. A whirlpool won't do anything to it.
    Last edited by Rapture; 08-22-2013 at 03:57.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    There are many theories concerning black holes by none inconclusive as to how matter and energy is compacted within. The mass remains the same, not the weight (weight is simply the gravitational pull between objects). A black hole is a gravitational singularity, where the laws of physics operate in some incredibly bizarre ways. Atoms phase through each other and vibrate at high pitches, resonating through the collapsed system. But black holes are anything but simple. Their angular momentum and size can influence their physical properties, anywhere from simply acting as space vacuums to oscillating spacetime itself.

Light is massless, operating with qualities pertaining to both a particle and a wave. But it contains resting mass (also called invariant mass, which carries the force f=ma to its targets, exciting the particles it impacts) which operates as a basic thermodynamic exchange. This means light isn't influenced by gravity, but it does follow the flow of spacetime which is altered by gravity (thus being indirectly influenced in strong gravity wells). Technically the light is still flying a straight line, but the singularity is skewing spacetime so much that the light turns into an obit and is lost beyond the event horizon. It will circle independent of the well's time dilation and eventually join with the mass at the center. Some like to commonly confuse this bypass of time dilation as an error in Einstein's theory of relativity, but it's simply one property of the universe superseding the other.

Compared to a whirlpool? It's not remotely similar at all. A whirlpool is simply a difference in temperature or collision of streams causing a spiral formation to form within the water. It's like comparing an ion thruster to the blades of a helicopter, saying they're similar because they can move and lift a vehicle. Or that the wheels on a child's bicycle are similar to the Large Hadron Collider because both are round.

Edit: Also, water resists being compacted exceptionally well. It's why water pressure is so powerful and used for pistons or even to cut diamonds. Even the weight of the ocean atop miles barely crushes it. A whirlpool won't do anything to it.
    Last edited by Ixion; 08-22-2013 at 04:52.

21. Likes Sylar wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AsuraOkami
    Interesting read. The things that happened in the ocean always amazed me.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Whirlpools are blackhole-like and blackholes are whirlpools-like. Are they really just now discovering this!?? Lol

Superior Member
    Obviously its the way into Rapture, city under the sea from Bioshock!
    Or Atlantis lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Release the Kraken!!!

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

26. Likes Sylar wishes they had posted this first.
    Supreme Veteran

My heart is a black hole, It carries theories of love and passion throughout the ages and carries the knowledge of my forefathers

But blackholes are awesome and yet deadly at the same time... For sure more info is needed to understand these black bankets of the universe

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    They've kinda ruined a cool phenomenon with this article by making silly comparisons to black holes throughout. Just for more clicks no doubt, but it's a shame

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style

If there are many theories that are non conclusive then how can you say they are not similar at all, do you see where I'm going here?

in fact all theories are just that, there isn't one fact with how or why other then it can destroy galaxies.

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    If there are many theories that are non conclusive then how can you say they are not similar at all, do you see where I'm going here?

in fact all theories are just that, there isn't one fact with how or why other then it can destroy galaxies.
    Not very well to be honest, but I'll attempt a response: In many ways black holes are already well understood. The math holds up. We know how they interact with spacetime, energy, and matter. Not everything is known of course, but enough to certainly differentiate it from a whirlpool. My point was that to compare the two, especially under some scientific guise, is an abrupt and painful oversimplification of the processes currently aware to us.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    There are certain key parts of a black hole that is understand, but the main part still isn't understood with what happens in the center of it. Anyway, I think you were looking into certain wordings in the article way to much.

Astronomical black holes bend space and time into a perpetually collapsing vortex. Light itself bends around them, which enables astronomers to recognise their existence.

Similarly, these oceanic maelstroms funnel current into an almost permanent spiral, trapping debris, oil and potentially living creatures in a body of water. Hardly anything leaks out.
    For article sake maybe a poor choice but because of how big those whirlpools were, even calling them maelstroms weren't put a good picture in anyones head. They used this comparison to have people reading it to picture how big these maelstroms actually were.

Thread Information