Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Blu Ray drives Is there any point?

I have bought fewer and fewer video games on optical media and more and more via digital distribution services. The Last physical games I bought were BF3 and Brink before that would be something like Unreal Tournament 3 way back in 2007.

Here is the kicker BF3 and Brink need Origin and Steam to work so the DVDs are useless now, you can even register Unreal 3 CD key to Steam so don't need the DVD to play it but it can still work independently of Steam if wanted.

I remember DVD came standard with most PCs around 2003 (that is when I got my first proper PC) but games were not always on DVD such as Max Payne 2, my version is 3 or 4 CDs yet the following year (2004) Half-Life 2 came only on DVD as far as I know.

With the ever increasing internet speeds and unlimited caps and the push of publishers wanting us to use their DRM disguised as content deliver services Do you think Blu Ray will become the standard optical media for PC any time soon?

Is there any point in getting a Blu ray drive for a PC these days?
    Last edited by keefy; 08-22-2013 at 01:27.

Friendship is Carrots
    No. I think physical media is going entirely out for the PC. Most builds I've seen the last couple of years don't even have a CD drive, much less a BD drive. Digital and USB is the way to go for the PC.

I bought a BD-Drive two years ago when I built my current computer. I've only ever used it twice to install Morrowind.

Soldier 95B
    No point anymore. Optical drives in general are going the way of the dinosaur.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    If you watch or rip Blu-ray, then yes. I still rip CDs for lossless quality. Optical drives will still be around until all digital content has an available lossless option, IMO. And physical copies will be around for games until super high speed internet is a standard. You can get away with not having an optical drive, but they're dirt cheap so it's not like you're saving a grip of money by not having one. Just make sure you have a bootable thumb drive in case you need to reformat or repair your computer.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    If you don't have a ROM drive, how do you install hardware drivers?
    I put a BD ROM in my build, better safe than sorry.
    DVD ROM drives can go for as little at $17, my BD drive cost $109.
    Last edited by mickice; 08-22-2013 at 02:06.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    If you don't have a ROM drive, how do you install hardware drivers?

I put a BD ROM in my build, better safe than sorry.
    You can usually find them online. But when you're doing a custom build, all the drivers come on discs, so yes... it would be rather silly not to have a disc drive to install the drivers... especially if, for instance, your wifi or Ethernet do not work right out of the box. You would need a second computer just to download the appropriate drivers, put them on a flash drive, and then install them.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I have bought fewer and fewer video games on optical media and more and more via digital distribution services. The Last physical games I bought were BF3 and Brink before that would be something like Unreal Tournament 3 way back in 2007.

Here is the kicker BF3 and Brink need Origin and Steam to work so the DVDs are useless now, you can even register Unreal 3 CD key to Steam so don't need the DVD to play it but it can still work independently of Steam if wanted.

I remember DVD came standard with most PCs around 2003 (that is when I got my first proper PC) but games were not always on DVD such as Max Payne 2, my version is 3 or 4 CDs yet the following year (2004) Half-Life 2 came only on DVD as far as I know.

With the ever increasing internet speeds and unlimited caps and the push of publishers wanting us to use their DRM disguised as content deliver services Do you think Blu Ray will become the standard optical media for PC any time soon?

Is there any point in getting a Blu ray drive for a PC these days?
    Desktops: Yes

Laptops: Not so much.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I haven't used my disc drive since installing Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The only point I can find to have one is to watch br movies. Otherwise, I don't see any reasonable need for one. My iMac, no optical drive. Won't need it.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The only point I can find to have one is to watch br movies. Otherwise, I don't see any reasonable need for one. My iMac, no optical drive. Won't need it.
    Not even movies in my case. I borrowed a SuperDrive from a friend once to install Diablo III and haven't needed one ever since.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    It's still worth having a DVD drive in your system just so you don't get caught short. For example installing software off a disc that comes with a new mouse / keyboard etc. You can download updates online yeah but the actual firmware less often.

But BR drive, unless it's an HTPC, there's no real point.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    It's still worth having a DVD drive in your system just so you don't get caught short. For example installing software off a disc that comes with a new mouse / keyboard etc. You can download updates online yeah but the actual firmware less often.

But BR drive, unless it's an HTPC, there's no real point.
    It's most likely you'll find the most up to date drivers online rather than the disc that comes with peripherals.

I agree though that the only use that could need a BD drive is an HTPC. Other than that, one can get a cheap DVD drive when and if the need arises.

Last edited by MjW; 08-22-2013 at 11:53.

Forum Sage
    I actually removed the DVDROM out of my laptop due to me wanting both a HDD and a SSD. And my latest build doesn't even have a DVD or BR drive.

I have a external DVD drive that i can use whenever i do need one. In fact when i built my most recent machine i just got a extra long SATA cable put the drive on the floor and installed windows and took the drive back out. I have no need for them now. I download all of my games. The only games i've bought on disc over the last 4 years have been Crysis, BF3, Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.

As MjW pointed out, most of the time the software that comes on disc is usually outdated so i've never brothered to install software from a disc. Most of the times the most up to date drivers are installed automatically and you can get the software from the vendor website.

So no. I don't think there is any point to getting one
    Last edited by BBK..; 08-22-2013 at 11:44.

Soldier 95B
    My new desktop, my new MacBook Air and iMac all came without Optical drives.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Not even movies in my case. I borrowed a SuperDrive from a friend once to install Diablo III and haven't needed one ever since.

I just downloaded it and installed it. It was actually quicker than using a DVD lol.

Supreme Veteran
    I wasn't clear in my post I as more meaning blu ray in particular rather than doing completely without an optical drive altogether.

I have DVD drive but its not hooked up, the cables for the power are not long enough to reach the drive and all my hard drives and I need all my drives alot more than a DVD drive so I do without. The last time I used my DVD drive was to install windows 8 as a test a few weeks ago.

Video games are getting larger in size Max Payne 3 30+GB, Splinter cell black list 20+GB so the games themselves do show a possible need for Blu ry game distribution but i have yet to see any games labelled as such and is it ever going to happen?
    Even if we buy a physical disc we usually have to pair it to an online service such as steam or Origin or Uplay so pretty much no need for the disc from then on anyway.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-22-2013 at 13:45.

Forum Sage
    Yeah i think as the never generation kicks off there will be need for a bluerary drive if you happen to be one of the 3%* of people who still buy physical PC games on a regular basis.

*Figure pulled completely out of my bottom

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    *Figure pulled completely out of my bottom
    Sounds kinky my friend.

19. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    if you happen to be one of the 3%* of people who still buy physical PC games on a regular basis.
    Like me.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to spend a day downloading Rome II: Total War.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    It's most likely you'll find the most up to date drivers online rather than the disc that comes with peripherals.

I agree though that the only use that could need a BD drive is an HTPC. Other than that, one can get a cheap DVD drive when and if the need arises.

driver updates yes, but firmware is much less likely to be up for download on the respective websites.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Like me.

There's always one isn't there!! Get better internet Weston not long got a new pier, don't you think you can invest in more infrastructure?

Na, i understand for some PC gamers physical media is still needed. Not for me though, gimme download everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    driver updates yes, but firmware is much less likely to be up for download on the respective websites.
    I have never seen a situation where any software hasn't been available online
    Last edited by BBK..; 08-22-2013 at 17:16.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-

Like me.

You need faster internet. I just downgraded my speed and right now it would take an hour to download Rome II:Total war. Before the downgrade it would have taken half an hour.

The world needs better Internet and no lame bandwidth caps!

Last edited by MjW; 08-22-2013 at 17:20.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I would get faster internet IF I could. Fibre has only just been installed in the area at the main exchanges but not all of the local boxes have been connected to the exchanges yet, mine is one of them.

Supreme Veteran
    I would get faster internet IF I could. Fibre has only just been installed in the area at the main exchanges but not all of the local boxes have been connected to the exchanges yet, mine is one of them.
    Have you seen the big green boxes pop up around your local streets? Usually its not too long after they show up they actually get ti up and running.

http://www.trefor.net/2011/07/14/ftt...te-new-photos/

You do not have to go with BT but BT are the ones installign the fibre so when they says you can get it you can get it with other ISPs too.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co..._FURL_infinity
    Last edited by keefy; 08-22-2013 at 17:31.

Elite Guru
    This isnt a 3.1 inch floppy we're talking about.

Optical disk media is still a viable delivery method. It's another Physical media vs Digital distribution debate and Physical will alway have a leg up on digital in that digital is only available to you at the whim of someone other than yourself, who if they so choose could shut down a server and deny you access to it. Beyond that, as it is I find it annoying that I have games I can't instal on my net book without some round-about method of making ISOs of disks because it doesnt have a drive at all. Burning a backup disk of it's drive is next to impossible because the software doesnt seem to recognize the fact that it doesnt have a DVD disc drive and give me an alternative like a USB flash drive. Also just because some content is avillable via download doesn't mean it ALL is, And some of it if it is, requires you to re-purchase it because businesses are essentially greedy.

27. Likes Ezekiel likes this post

Thread Information