Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I already phoned BT last week as my contract is up next month, I rang because when running through the fibre checker it said I couldn't get it yet I know that fibre has been installed up to the local shops about 300m away from my house. I rang them and they were surprised that my local box has not been connected. they checked further and then said that there's apparently an engineer working on several local boxes in the area but surprised that mine hasn't been done yet. They'll be emailing me once it's been installed and set up.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    This isnt a 3.1 inch floppy we're talking about.

Optical disk media is still a viable delivery method. It's another Physical media vs Digital distribution debate and Physical will alway have a leg up on digital in that digital is only available to you at the whim of someone other than yourself, who if they so choose could shut down a server and deny you access to it. Beyond that, as it is I find it annoying that I have games I can't instal on my net book without some round-about method of making ISOs of disks because it doesnt have a drive at all. Burning a backup disk of it's drive is next to impossible because the software doesnt seem to recognize the fact that it doesnt have a DVD disc drive and give me an alternative like a USB flash drive. Also just because some content is avillable via download doesn't mean it ALL is, And some of it if it is, requires you to re-purchase it because businesses are essentially greedy.
    Its not what you think. TIs not a optical vs digital debate.

If you have a DVD drive is there a point in getting a Blu ray drive. Currently video games and software are not sold n blu ray discs windows 8 is a DVD, MAx payne 3 is DVD only despite being 30GB or more.

http://support.rockstargames.com/ent...Payne-3-for-PC

Forum Sage

Only time i really see a optical drive being worth it now is if you burn a lot of music or movies. I've never needed it once on my laptop and it's looking the same for my PC.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    There's no way in hell I'm downloading ps4 games. All these GTAV .. 18gb?? Yeah right I can walk to the store and buy it (for cheaper), install it and be playing the game hours before that download would be done

Via Tapatalk

Master Poster
    I have one so I can rip my blu-ray collection to my external hdd.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    There's no way in hell I'm downloading ps4 games. All these GTAV .. 18gb?? Yeah right I can walk to the store and buy it (for cheaper), install it and be playing the game hours before that download would be done

Via Tapatalk
    Ovbiously this varies based on internet connection speeds and server load, but I downloaded SWTOR (~20 something gigabytes) in around ~5-6 hours or so.

With predownloading this will be a non issue.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Its not just about games, I buy music, DVDs and Blu-Ray movies on disc.
    Unless you are buying HD tracks I don't know why anyone would buy music online.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage

I buy most of my music online now. Since buying Serato my vinyl purchasing has dropped significantly. WAV's are just as good as a vinyl i find.

Either way, if you have the connection to support it DD is much better than physical discs. I downloaded Max Payne 3 in about an hour and a half and that was a 30GB download.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I have bought fewer and fewer video games on optical media and more and more via digital distribution services.
    there's the issue lol.
    Is there any point in getting a Blu ray drive for a PC these days?
    nope, there never was. but they will get cheap enough to not matter. however, it would be nice to have all that storage on a disc...say if you wanted to back up your computer.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    there's the issue lol.

nope, there never was. but they will get cheap enough to not matter. however, it would be nice to have all that storage on a disc...say if you wanted to back up your computer.
    As optical size increased hard drive size increases further, to backup a 2TB drive you would need at least 40 dual layer 50GB Blu ray discs plus the amount of time it would take to burn all those discs. Rather you than me.

that is only 1 drive.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-24-2013 at 15:17.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    As optical size increased hard drive size increases further, to backup a 2TB drive you would need at least 40 dual layer 50GB Blu ray discs plus the amount of time it would take to burn all those discs. Rather you than me.

that is only 1 drive.
    but realistically, most people don't fill up all of it, and i mean, i do but my most important data can fit in my thumb drive. but if you have to...how much space can you really fill up? other than pirated $#@! lol.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    but realistically, most people don't fill up all of it, and i mean, i do but my most important data can fit in my thumb drive. but if you have to...how much space can you really fill up? other than pirated $#@! lol.
    I'm almost done with a TB backup drive I've had for a few years... it has all my digital content on it, non-pirated. Movies, music, pictures, family documents. Probably a few more movies will do it out.

Thread Information