Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style

The Order 1886 info after closed doors presentation

Ready At Dawn CEO Ru Weerasuriya addressed the games press in a behind closed doors presentation of the studio’s shooter The Order: 1886. The game was conceptualised in 2006 and was derived from short stories penned by Weerasuriya. It’s now a full-scale project with a 95-strong team and running on the bespoke RAD engine 4.0.

The Order is a third-person shooter, and it’s billed as the first game in a franchise of titles that may also spill out into other forms of media. Set in an alternate post-industrial revolution London, the game’s steampunk, almost $#@!ensian veneer was researched by a snap-happy studio trip to London, in which Weerasuriya and his crew took over 38,000 photos of the city.

Why? Well, the game’s core hook isn’t steampunk, or the arkane, or even those brilliant twirled moustaches we’ve seen so far. Those photos were actually research for both the game’s aesthetic design and the team’s material creation tools, as well as its bespoke ‘Abel’ physics engine. We were shown photos of zoomed-in cobblestones, of granite and gravel, each taken to make the world of The Order visually impressive, believable and most importantly – destructible.

The game has dynamic destruction, and while we’re not talking about Battlefield 4 levels of military bombast, Ready At Dawn’s surface and environmental destruction is rather impressive. We saw Weerasuriya jump into a stone courtyard and pumped rounds from the protagonist’s Combogun – an assault rifle and shotgun hybrid – into a brass fixture set into a wall. The object crumpled and imploded with force after each round found its mark, deforming it in real-time.

He then spawned in a bunch of teddy bears and went all Robocop on their stuffed asses, first blowing off a head, and then four limbs one at a time. This might sound like a gimmick, but we were all assured that dynamic destruction, texture warping and convincing object physics lie at the heart of The Order: 1886′s gameplay. When the crowd asked why, we were told it wasn’t yet time for
    that particular discussion.

What I can tell you is that the game
    looks brilliant, as in next-gen brilliant, not just a small leap in fidelity. We were treated to a fly-over through an underground plaza lined with pubs, meandering NPCs and street lamps so convincing you could almost hear the bulbs hum. At the end of the street sat a mosaic, with each raised tile impacting the way those lights dances across its surface.
    This is what a large part of next-gen gaming is about; the dynamic factor, and The Order: 1886 already seems to have that in spades. It’s an intriguing project that both Sony and the developer are being coy about, but I’m intrigued to learn more, especially to see how on earth textures and destruction impact gameplay as Weerasuriya promised. I’m looking on with keen interest for some sort of clarity.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/21/ps4-...gs-to-cologne/

I hope to see any leaks from this presentation

2. Likes K2D , Lefein, Admartian likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    When this game is coming?

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Ok I wasn't interested in this game at all but it's definitely on the radar now. That sounded pretty awesome.

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    dis gunn be good

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    This is going to rock.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Seems to me that next-gen is a lot more about empowering the player in the game world. The machine is just so much more capable.

8. Likes K2D likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    i could make out from the name the ceo is sri lankan.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Action and consequence is a big part of what I'll now and in the future consider "next-gen". Sandbox territory where you wreck havoc on day and when you come back and play next time you'll go "oh, damn, I really ripped this town square to pieces yesterday".

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    Action and consequence is a big part of what I'll now and in the future consider "next-gen". Sandbox territory where you wreck havoc on day and when you come back and play next time you'll go "oh, damn, I really ripped this town square to pieces yesterday".
    I think Infamous:Second Son is meant to have something like that.

[Edit] It does.

inFamous: Second Son had a very good E3 2013, with Sony and Sucker Punch announcing that we’ll be able to play it in the first quarter of 2014 on PS4, while also being given a stunning gameplay video. In that video, you’ll have noticed quite a bit of destruction taking place, but when Delsin did his divebomb at 5:10, the dinosaur statue that was once standing crumbled into pieces.

Talking to Polygon, Jaime Griesemer, Lead Designer on Second Son, explained that destruction in the game is permanent when it comes to “the memorable stuff, that’s the stuff that goes away.” To help ensure that there’s cover in every area though, you can expect some items to refresh once you destroy them.

Elaborating on how they’re able to make destruction absolute, Griesemer mentioned that it’s all thanks to the PS4′s RAM:

It was very difficult in a PlayStation 3 timeframe, where you don’t have enough RAM to store information about every object in the whole universe. The areas would just be refreshed when you leave and come back. But now we have a lot more to work with.

Knowing that once you destroy something it will stay that way, are you going to preserve monuments in Second Son or destroy them all? Let us know in the comments below.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...-is-permanent/
    Last edited by darky89; 08-24-2013 at 19:40.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Good information to hear about this game. I hope, from the footage we saw at E3, it pans out as it should. This info just makes me want to hear more about this game.

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    I hope the gameply is closer to Diablo/Gauntlet/Van Helsing with no crosshairs than most TPS as it's what I felt in the first video, the time where we guessed the line of fire was so much more instictive and fun than the crosshairs in the center ...

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTenth666 View Post
    I hope the gameply is closer to Diablo/Gauntlet/Van Helsing with no crosshairs than most TPS as it's what I felt in the first video, the time where we guessed the line of fire was so much more instictive and fun than the crosshairs in the center ...
    Pssh wishful thinking! that's too hardcore for the new generation, they'll $#@! and moan about it smh. Those days are long gone unless it'll be a hardcore mode

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    Wow, can't wait to play that game!!!! The sound of it, the game look stunning....
    Sony BRAVIA 40" XBR4
    harman/kardon AVR1600
    1Tb PS3 slim
    500Gb PS4
    Toshiba S50D A
    AMD A10-5745M APU 2.10Ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 8500M
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb Hdd
    Windows 8

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Sounds interesting im looking forward to more information and some footage of this in the future.
    Playing - Tales of Xillia 2 and Atelier Escha & Logy.
    Awaiting - Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    When this game is coming?
    Sometime next year.

I'm really excited about this game, love third person shooters and I love the art style.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

Thread Information