Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

Will Vita indies kill the handheld or make it?

We've got a debate going on following the announcement of a load more indie titles.

Let us know what you think...
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    will not kill for sure! vita need all kind of games.and its doent matter AAA or indie if the game is good. after getting vita i cant play on my ipad, becaue i dont feel comfortable with it

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Surely there's no way it can harm the system, right? So it has to play as at least a minor benefit. The indie scene has exploded over the past few years, so it's a good market to tap into. But these aren't system sellers, which is something the Vita really needs right now. Indie games are usually just additional padding. Though a proper Minecraft experience on the go will help a bit, I think.

4. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    I think indie games will make the Vita a fantastic console, but I also think that they could wind up killing the Vita because so many gamers today only want AAA games.

Shut up and play games

6. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    More content is always better. I remember a statement at one E3 where Jack said "we're not interested in filling up shelves with games nobody wants to play", things have changed since then, most indie games are copy and paste jobs of past awesome titles. There are some decent games in there though but Sony really needs more than just indies.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    It needs a balance. Vita can't survive with just Indie games.

9. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Neither, indie games will neither kill nor make the handheld. They're icing for the cake, but in order for the dessert to be delicious, it needs more than just topping.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Super Elite
    They will provide a steady stream of revenue from people who have already adopted the system, but will hurt the image of the console if remaining its dominant type of release; the Vita was supposed to be a hand-held powerhouse, and an abundance of advertising aimed at what is a vast majority of indie titles will definitely make it seem to outsiders that the console has failed on its original--and most exciting--promise.

Less lame $#@!, more Mercenary and Tearaway, Sony, come on, sheez-O-peez.

EDIT: I feel like Sony should have secured Ready at Dawn and made them a hand-held focused developer; those guys single-handedly breathed life into the PSP when it most needed it with Daxter and God of War, and anything--$#@!ing ANYTHING--by them would provide a great image-boost to the Vita.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Surely there's no way it can harm the system, right? So it has to play as at least a minor benefit. The indie scene has exploded over the past few years, so it's a good market to tap into. But these aren't system sellers, which is something the Vita really needs right now. Indie games are usually just additional padding. Though a proper Minecraft experience on the go will help a bit, I think.
    Minecraft is as Indie as they come and that game is a HUGE seller, I'm talking AAA sales here. They're at around 12 million or so sales on the Minecraft PC site alone! Saying the Indies are only a minor benefit in my opinion is quite insulting. Sure the finances of Indies are non-existent but AAA developers just pump out the same game after game year on year, there's no diversity there at all.

Now while I don't like Jonathon Blow, his game Braid was massive and, while much shorter, had much better gameplay and interaction than any AAA developed puzzle game out there, The Witness is looking like a fantastic game and another puzzle game that looks like it'll be much better than those in major studios. Granted he has tonnes of money now but he's still a sole developer working with only a few others.

That's just 2 games on the Indie side but there are many Indie games that are much better than AAA developers and casting them aside as a "minor benefit" is so wrong that its not even funny. The experimentation and ingenuity of Indies is second to none and having it come to the Vita will give it some amazing diversity that's sorely needed.

Sure there will be a lot of crap but that's part and parcel of Indie development, however if there's an Indie title that stands out then it REALLY stands out. On the PC there's a shedload of Indie games but those that stand out sell for a truckload and it's well deserved.

So please don't go on by saying that Indies are a minor benefit because they certainly aren't, they are in fact probably the biggest benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    I think indie games will make the Vita a fantastic console, but I also think that they could wind up killing the Vita because so many gamers today only want AAA games.
    Complete opposite, people today want diversity and something original, not something like the same game year on year like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and others. In the last few years AAA developers on the PC have seen a significant drop because of the rise of Indies and their creativity, AAA developers only survive in the PC space nowadays if they truly stand out and innovate, Creative Assembly being an example - besides I can't see an Indie actually able to create something that big anyway so there are some exceptions.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    So please don't go on by saying that Indies are a minor benefit because they certainly aren't, they are in fact probably the biggest benefit.
    Hold your horses. None of that has anything to do with what I said. I stated they're not system sellers, not that the games themselves are any less than non-indie titles. I personally prefer indie games overall, because they're creative and actually enjoyable. But that's not how everyone feels, and it's impromptu to list Minecraft as evidence to your point; it's 4 years old and managed to gather a huge cult following. That's a massively difficult thing to achieve in gaming, much less for an indie title. I'm sorry, but it's not common for people to buy systems for indie titles. It's usually one big game that finally gets their attention.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Minecraft is in the minority though, the majority of indie titles are quick, lazy copy & paste arcade games from 20 years ago.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Minecraft is as Indie as they come and that game is a HUGE seller, I'm talking AAA sales here. They're at around 12 million or so sales on the Minecraft PC site alone! Saying the Indies are only a minor benefit in my opinion is quite insulting. Sure the finances of Indies are non-existent but AAA developers just pump out the same game after game year on year, there's no diversity there at all.
    Minecraft is not a good example for indies, sure time by time, every type of game will generate a few gem. It doesn't mean it is a success as a whole.
    Complete opposite, people today want diversity and something original, not something like the same game year on year like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and others. In the last few years AAA developers on the PC have seen a significant drop because of the rise of Indies and their creativity, AAA developers only survive in the PC space nowadays if they truly stand out and innovate, Creative Assembly being an example - besides I can't see an Indie actually able to create something that big anyway so there are some exceptions.You again did samething with COD or B4 is not getting any bigger which is nonsense.
    Wrong, people love same $#@! even they hate it...
    https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=c...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I am sure this very same to other big AAA games.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Complete opposite, people today want diversity and something original, not something like the same game year on year like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and others.
    Top 10 Games July 2013
    1. NCAA Footbal 14 (360, PS3)
    2. Minecraft (360)
    3. The Last of Us (PS3)
    4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, Wii U, PC)
    5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
    6. Far Cry 3 (360, PS3, PC)
    7. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
    8. Injustice: Gods Among Us (360,PS3, Wii U)
    9. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC)
    10. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PC)

Shut up and play games

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I think you forgot one major thing, Indie games are not on any sales list because they're sold digitally only.

But let's just get some examples of Indie (or ex-Indie that were Indie at the time) games that have been system sellers that you will know of very well:
    • Grand Theft Auto (DMA Design)
    • The Witcher 2 (CD Project Red)
    • Micro Machines (Codemasters)
    • Patapon (Pyramid)
    • Another World (Delphine Software)
    • and dare I say it: Elite (David Braben and Ian Bell)

These are just at the top of my head.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    I guess you just have more faith in today's gamers than I do. You also seem to have a much more broad definition of "system seller" (Micro Machines?)

Shut up and play games

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I think they help to a certain extent in the way of interesting people who already have the handheld but I wouldn't expect anyone to spend a lot of money on something for just a few indie games.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I don't know how it is born, but it definitely reached its climax with the help of facebook and smartphones. And everyone own a facebook and smartphone nowadays, small fees become macro when userbase hit hundreds of millions. Vita does not have that kind of userbase and never will. So the indies.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Bandw!dth Savior
    The more content the better!
    If todays handheld market is constantly trying to fight off being phased out by smart phones and tablets, acquiring cheaper smaller games is def a plus. On the flip side of the coin, the vita also needs a strong AAA 1st and 3rd party showing to sort of show off why its more attractive than those smart devices. It's gotta have that balance to stand on its own, and the Gamescom showing is def a step in the right direction.
    Digital Recess
    Signed up before PS3 launch, back again for PS4

Sony

PSN ID
    brendon7358@gmail.com
    I think indies would/will be great for the PS Vita.

On another note I am not saying that it SHOULD be hacked but IF it was then the Vita would be the most amazing handheld ever. (imagine the possibilities if you could install emulators on it)

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by brendon7358 View Post
    I think indies would/will be great for the PS Vita.

On another note I am not saying that it SHOULD be hacked but IF it was then the Vita would be the most amazing handheld ever. (imagine the possibilities if you could install emulators on it)
    I always wondered why people want to run emulators on a 'next-gen' handheld so they can play games from x years ago.

PSN ID
    psmove14

Yeessss!!!

I am definitely not a fan of indie games. If I wanted to play em, I would have kept my ds from 6 years back. These games COMPLETELY DEVALUE THE CAPABILITIES OF THE VITA....I'm okay with the vita having them, but to an extent. I'm sure many people out there love these, and I guess and can see why (short bursts of addicting gameplay). BUT SONY CAN'T SIMPLY UPDATE THEIR STORE WITH ONLY ONE OR TWO INDIE GAMES!! It pisses me off!!! I reached a point to where I was absolutely sick of them. If it weren't for killzone mercenary, I would have sold my vita....because I DIDN'T PAY $250 TO PLAY AN INDIE GAME!!!! but that's just my opinion....

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    in my opinion handhelds are where indies belong. I don't want to turn on my decently powered console to play an indie game, I want a big game. however, being able to play an Indie title on my vita is a nice break from big AAA studio games

moving on tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Good additions but hardly selling points

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    in my opinion handhelds are where indies belong. I don't want to turn on my decently powered console to play an indie game, I want a big game. however, being able to play an Indie title on my vita is a nice break from big AAA studio games

moving on tapatalk
    Seems Sony is doing the exact same thing for PS4, clearly just to beef up their "Only on PlayStation" library, which they don't even need to do unlike a certain other company.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Seems Sony is doing the exact same thing for PS4, clearly just to beef up their "Only on PlayStation" library, which they don't even need to do unlike a certain other company.
    agreed. and I'm a full supporter of what their doing

moving on tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Thread Information