View Poll Results: What aspect of a game leaves that long lasting impression on you?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Story/Dialogue

8 50.00%
  • Graphics/Visuals

2 12.50%
  • Music/Sound effects

3 18.75%
  • Characters/Voice Acting

0 0%
  • Setting/Environment

3 18.75%
    PSU Live Streamer

What aspect of a game leaves that long lasting impression on you?

When you've finished a game that months/years later still has you thinking about it, what is it about that game that has left you with such fond memories?

Is it the remarkable storytelling?
    Is it the gorgeous visuals?
    etc.

I think for me it has got to be the Soundtrack. Properly orchestrated music can take a scenario in game and breathe emotion into it. And for me, the ability to download the song/soundtrack that put me in such an emotional state during the game and listen to it anywhere I want, allows me to relive those moments even if I'm miles away from my game console.
    Last edited by shepard; 08-22-2013 at 18:25.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    history, sweat and tears and the ever growing achievement of success
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    The part that matters the most to me: gameplay/how fun the game was to play.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

PSU Live Streamer
    sorry dude, guess I didnt put in a gameplay/mechanics section....fail me

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    None of those really, for me it's the core gameplay and systems involved. If it plays well I can forgive almost anything else

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I guess we all have a different view... But the best thing is, we all enjoy the experiences we have with gaming
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Setting/Environment

Two notable examples for me:

Fallout 3,

I love the green and yellow hues of the Capital Wasteland. It felt very post-apocalyptic in its own right. I loved traveling. I was so sucked in that aspect of the game. Even the sky was so toxic green from the radiation over the years. That's what made the game so fun and had me overlook the numerous bugs in it that are still not fixed to this day.

GTA: San Andreas,

I've always wanted to live in LA and this game looked like LA in the movies. 90's LA to be exact. And I loved the 90's decade. I grew up in it. But what attracted me more was the orange skies in the evening in Los Santos. The purple/pink haze in Las Venturas deserts and the the back country out doors. And those beautiful skies were due to the breathtaking sunsets. You can see those kinda skies in real life too, but only at Magic Hour. And I'm sure GTA V will again give me that look of LA, but even better.

Super Elite
    Carving out its own identity, I guess. Most of my favorite games are flawed, but all the individual elements come together so well that the whole leaves a grand impression. I loved Kingdom Hearts for its fable-like tale of good and evil, paired to its big, beating heart and good intentions, and for its conviction in its moral story, as well as for all the bright worlds, and Disney heroes, and loud-and-proud combat that unabashedly required no more than mashing the X-button into oblivion, and for the story of three friends, etc., etc.

I loved the Jak games for their endless variety, Daxter's silliness, the characters, the pointy-eared world, the hover-boarding, racing, grand theft auto, shooting, platforming, and yada, yada, yada.

Infamous for the same reasons, Killzone 2 for its girth, Motorstorm Pacific Rift for its aggressive courses, vehicles, and sounds...

I remember a game for that secret ingredient that can't be linked to a single mechanic or narrative sweep, but which somehow wafts through the pores of the whole and reminds you any time you see or speak of it of the fun time you had that first time experiencing the game.

Too much cheese? Probably. But I have a big soft spot for my favorites and defend'em to the death.

PSN ID
    Extursion
    For me it's honestly the innovation and depth, how did they evolve from other games and how much of the game can you explore, how many layers are there? I guess I want something totally new and immerse.

PSN ID
    jeno---
    bf3 everything about it is amazing .even if i have few weeks rest from it ill always go back to it.its got to be the best game ive played on ps3
    seven-six-two millimeter.full metal jacket

Superior Member
    Gameplay and mechanics followed shortly by good storytelling, not necessarily a good story. Even a boring tale can be livened up but a skilled storyteller or the way the story is implemented to the game. My example would be Costume Quest or The Penny Arcade games on PSN. Stories really weren't that good but the way they were told made up for it.
    R.I.P. Tom Clancy.

May you have many Commies to wage war upon in Valhalla.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    I would say unexpected things leave a lasting impression on me. Going into a game with an idea of what it is and having that idea shattered in front of you.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

PSN ID
    sonofvenom
    The right use of music and sound can burn a moment into your long term memory, even if you barely remember the piece of music used until hearing it again later.

It's not the only factor, obviously, yet so many of the games i remember most fondly share the common theme of a great use of sound.

Thread Information