Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony: "Being cheaper than your competitor is never a bad thing"

SCEA CEO Jack Tretton acknowledges that lowest-priced system is not always the most successful, but believes consumers will gravitate toward PlayStation 4 value proposition.SCEA CEO Jack Tretton was backstage during E3 rehearsals when he learned that the Xbox One would go on sale for $500, a full $100 below the PlayStation 4's $400 price point.

The executive told Bloomberg in a new interview that Sony saw this pricing advantage as a "positive," though he said cheaper doesn't always mean more successful.

"I think ultimately, the gamer looks at ten-year product lifecycles; they look at the software offerings; they look at the value proposition," Tretton said. "And the lowest priced system isn't always the most successful, but being cheaper than your competition is never a bad thing."

Tretton said all the pieces are in place for the PS4 to be successful at launch this holiday, noting it all comes down to execution at this point.
    "I feel like we've got the gamer on our side; I feel like we've got the development community on our side; and now we've got execute,"

he said.
    Asked what the most important thing to "get right" with a product launch like the PS4 is, Tretton said this is communicating the value proposition of the system.
    "The most important thing to get right is the consumer proposition, the value

proposition," Tretton said. "That people say, 'I saw it, it looks great, I've got to have it.' And if that's the answer, then you've got a winner on your hands."
    http://uk.gamespot.com/gamescom/sony...thing-6413522/
    Last edited by claud3; 08-23-2013 at 00:07.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

I usually just stop by to read the comments here but I had to respond to this time. I've been meaning to say what an absolute stellar job Sony have done with the PS4 - from its inception to its presentation. It stands in stark contrast to the PS3 launch, which as well all know was a complete disaster. With that said, Jack Tretton here is spot on, Sony have in the past been a bit lousy with the advertisement of their products (Vita, for instance). PS4 has all the keys necessary to be a hit, and as Jack Tretton suggests, the final step is getting out there to as many people as possible.

Greetings

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yeah, Sony had their head on straight from the get-go with the PS4 and it looks to me that the gaming community is going to respond with massive positive support.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

4. Likes VayMasters86, Demi_God likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Yeah, Sony had their head on straight from the get-go with the PS4 and it looks to me that the gaming community is going to respond with massive positive support.
    Sony got a double hitter on this one because even the developers are responding with massive positive support also.

6. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yeah Sony is in a 10x better position than last gen.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Yeah Sony is in a 100x better position than last gen.
    Fixed that for ya.

9. Likes PS4freak , MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Master Guru
    Being cheaper is never a bad thing but it's also not the only reason why the PS4 will be successful. Or any console for that matter. In the end it's all about the games and features. After that price and timing.

Elite Member
    Theres a limit to how cheap you can be I was really turned off by MS on how they kept lowering the 360's price just to make a sale I hope Sony doesn't use that same strategy.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    Theres a limit to how cheap you can be I was really turned off by MS on how they kept lowering the 360's price just to make a sale I hope Sony doesn't use that same strategy.
    I don't think they will ever have to do that. MS will probably go down the route again however.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    Why lowering the price of a console is somehow bad is ridiculous. If it increases console sales, then mission accomplished.

People act like keeping your console's price the same is somehow MORALLY superior. Every time MS lowered the 360's price, it was called a DESPERATE move to increase sales. But every time Sony lowered the price of the PS3, it was NEVER called a desperate move by the same exact people. They always heaped Sony with praise for doing so.

Ahh yes....double standards are a VERY amusing thing to watch.

Superior Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Yeah Sony is in a 100x better position than MS this gen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Fixed that for ya! lol.....i joke...just wanted to be like everyone else and give you a hard time for your MS support lol. The 100 is for the $100 cheaper...not that its 100x better....ha.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Why lowering the price of a console is somehow bad is ridiculous. If it increases console sales, then mission accomplished.

People act like keeping your console's price the same is somehow MORALLY superior. Every time MS lowered the 360's price, it was called a DESPERATE move to increase sales. But every time Sony lowered the price of the PS3, it was NEVER called a desperate move by the same exact people. They always heaped Sony with praise for doing so.

Yes..even as a Sony console owner and supporter its just stupid to make these comments. Like this is a sport and someone is cheating or breaking the rules....its business....there are NO RULES....(you know what I mean). Even throwing in FIFA people complain...thats just stupid. Now...if I was a MS stockholder I may be upset at throwing away money because of poor planning ie (RRD or reversing course with this X1 strategy and having to purchase throw in games) but for gamers or anyone else those actions should be viewed as good things..not bad. I wish those Sony supporters would just stick to bragging about the PS4's good things and not worry about what MS is doing...because it doesn't affect them.

Ultimate Veteran
    100 dollars and more powerfull is just awesome.now the shoe is on the other foot all them years 360 gamers saying ps3 is more money blah blah blah,now that the x1 is 100 more they are makeing excuses for it.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    100 dollars and more powerfull is just awesome.now the shoe is on the other foot all them years 360 gamers saying ps3 is more money blah blah blah,now that the x1 is 100 more they are makeing excuses for it.

Yea, but if you took away kinect or added the pseye their prices would be much closer. It's not like you are getting less for the extra $100. The one thing the x1 has that the more expensive ps3 didn't have is a stronger lineup of games and better features. They are losing the price battle but it may be worth it in the long run.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post

I don't know if you really understand what you just said.

If MS lowered their price to make sales and Sony is its competitor why wouldn't Sony then lower its prices as well.
    Where is the double standard at because I said I hope Sony doesn't do the same. As far as morals go I just don't by cheap stuff forgive me for being that way but I just feel things that are cheap are cheap for a reason.

Here's an example carnival cruses are at extremely low prices now what type of people do you think can afford those prices poor people. It just downgrades the entire trip. Why is it good business to compete for the lowest price possible yes minimum yield "this is so great guys we are losing on every sale but we got something back yay!" If something costs $600 it better be worth $600 Sony had to gut the PS3 you want MS to start hacking stuff off the XBone just to say hey the XBone has more sales? SMH

Also if you want more sales at your current price or at a higher price offer more give me more value and I'll pay.
    Last edited by hood; 08-27-2013 at 04:03.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    It's not that it's cheaper. It's more convenient.

You can get 2 games and a console at the price of One console with very similar performance
    Your sig is too friggin' big. Please change it. ~ PSU Staff

Thread Information