Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Understanding 'fanboyism': an overused and misconstrued term

http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/22/un...onstrued-term/

Herein lies the problem. “Fanboy,” as an insult, is often an unfair and out-of-context accusation. More often than not, it is used in arguments between two or more people as a way to disregard a person’s point of view. To many, casting someone off as a fanboy is far easier than attempting to understand an opposing viewpoint.
    Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/22/un...i66jx51hQMT.99
    Wow, I don't think I've ever agreed on a game article like this, ever!

If i have time, I'll write more into it, but the viewpoint of the author is something I can definitely get behind. If they continue with this type of writing, we may have just found our first proper (credible, not resorting to the whims of "let's just get more hits and stir the pot") gaming news/editorial site.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Nothing really new in that article.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Try telling that to people over at IGN. They will keep on using that word if someone says one thing negative about something another person likes.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    Try telling that to people over at IGN. They will keep on using that word if someone says one thing negative about something another person likes.
    Not just IGN mate.

Anyway, I still think it's very relevant. Not just in gaming consoles though. Case in point I'm following a game and I'm on the Ravens boards. Basically, team is not doing so hot, and not just this game.

I'm finding it hard to understand why people trying to outline why they feel concern are getting attacked (those who are saying "nah bruh we good we good") are openly mocking those who are, from what I can see at least, voicing their concerns in a none dismissive or :"sky is falling" manner.

Basically, it comes down to a difference in opinion. And every post that isn't wearing "purple tinted glasses" is getting mocked, and twisted as "panicking" in order to invalidate and ridicule that point of view. Simply because either a) they disagree and do not want to even attempt to see the other side of it, and/or b) they don't their illusion broken and want to justify their point of view - no matter how they're doing it.

There's still very much that "either with us or against us" mentality.

Very much can be said the same in gaming. If not more so. There seems to be no room for the 'middle ground'. No room to 'concede' a position, as that can be seen as diminishing in your investment (either in time or money, or both).

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    hell i call myself a fanboy....

i'm a metal fanboy....
    im a sons of anarchy fanboy....
    im a SONY fanboy....
    i'm a lasagna fanboy....

does that mean im insulting myself?? an insult to me is calling somebody a "$#@!ing $#@!" or "retard", not being called a fanboy. thats just my opinion

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    hell i call myself a fanboy....

i'm a metal fanboy....
    im a sons of anarchy fanboy....
    im a SONY fanboy....
    i'm a lasagna fanboy....

does that mean im insulting myself?? an insult to me is calling somebody a "$#@!ing $#@!" or "retard", not being called a fanboy. thats just my opinion
    Absolutely.

However, I think the point wasn't to do with the word itself ('fanboy') but rather using it as an automatic term of dismissal as 'wrong'.

Personally, I think fanboy itself isn't bad, but the idea behind it to label someone that as either 'trolling' or 'wrong' is what the issue is.

7. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    I love how i'm on probation now for typing MS with a dollar sign. I hadn't bothered to read your forum's def of Fanboyism.
    To me being a fanboy is way beyond fan. Fanboy is like a tick, or near mental illness where people are unable to accept honest truth about something they favor when that info is not in the best light.
    I type it that way mostly due to my contempt for their general incompetence, not merely with the XB, which they seem to have ruined.
    If you add XBONE to that list then we might as all well just pack, up and leave!

Like i've conveyed in the past, i'm a grown man and have better things to do, but, if they are gonna pick that as my reason,
    uhm... so be it!

I'll be where people are enjoying the lighter side of life!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    I love how i'm on probation now for typing MS with a dollar sign.
    You're joking of course?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    You're joking of course?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Nope, I'm not. Usually I am, but nope, i'm not.
    what was their name??? (Because I deleted their PM) ...

(looks it up)

I deleted it, but pretty sure it was "three-3-times " out of London, sends me a PM saying your on prob for these 2 messages that he edited, both of which featured as their only infraction MS where the S is a $ . This apparently is in their forum rules as an expression of Fanboyism.

It's not a banhammer but i still find it overreaching.

At least I finally got my positive spin on FUD out for vernacular this week: GIVE.
    Grand or Grandious Idealized Visions of Excellence
    I was also accused of derailing conversation this week by reminding everyone what MS had for us to swallow just a few short months ago.
    I mean SERIOUSLY, the first search result on Google for 'opposite of FUD' is this link, and it's ABOUT MS!!!
    http://www.innismir.net/article/204
    People need to realize this company and it's representatives haven't got your good interests at heart and deserve NO slack in the face of their adversity. So, what, create a thread outside the XB Thread where i invite people to read what they don't want to hear about MS and XB so maybe they get the reminder they might deserve?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    wow, i didn't know you could get a "suspension" from using $ for S in MS......hmmm....i don't find it bad but hey if its in the rules its in the rules you know?

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    wow, i didn't know you could get a "suspension" from using $ for S in MS......hmmm....i don't find it bad but hey if its in the rules its in the rules you know?
    He says 'probation' , i suppose it's some warning period.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    It is just a word, people are just fans and if you are a boy

Then it is fanboyism and if you are a girl

it is called feminism
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

14. Likes John Willaford likes this post

Thread Information