Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    What does it mean when it's upscaled?

Superior Member
    Still 720p that's "upscaled" to fit a 1080p screen. Just like the current gen.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm ok with this. As long as its silky 60fps and INSANE graphics! Bring it on.

Superior Member
    At 720p it's going to be difficult to have "insane" graphics. You can only make low resolution look so good. Especially if you've played BF3 @ true 1080p @ 60 fps like I have.

LOW settings @ 1080p looks much better then ULTRA settings at 720p.

Friendship is Carrots
    Ehhh, please no. They would need to slather it with some anti-aliasing for me to even look at it. I was completely ready to move on from 720p and its much associated lagged edges.

Extreme Poster
    so it's not even true 720p? -_- bargain bin.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousBOB View Post
    At 720p it's going to be difficult to have "insane" graphics. You can only make low resolution look so good. Especially if you've played BF3 @ true 1080p @ 60 fps like I have.

LOW settings @ 1080p looks much better then ULTRA settings at 720p.
    Gimme an idea here... You were playing it on a PC? What size monitor, and what is your seating distance?

Extreme Poster
    i can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a monitor.

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Twitter: BF4 only 720p

Another tweet not long came in:

To clarify: BF4 running at a higher resolution than 720p in the PS4 dev environment. Final resolution when the game is optimised at launch!
    Sorry for the mobile link:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370894369404227584?p=v
    Last edited by GazzaGSi; 08-23-2013 at 15:34.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    Another tweet not long came in:

Sorry for the mobile link:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jackfrags...9404227584?p=v
    What does that mean?

Forum Guru
    What does that mean?
    Your guess is as good as mine

Guessing the FPS drops at a higher res so they're trying to optimise it or find a medium, decent res without FPS dropping.

I'm no techie though so purely speculating.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Gimme an idea here... You were playing it on a PC? What size monitor, and what is your seating distance?
    Three different screens. 1 22" monitor @ 1080p native (used 99% of the time) sitting 18-20" away.

1 50" plasma a@ 1080p native sitting 4' away

1 32" LCD @ 720p native sitting 30" away.

Both 1080p screens were tested at both extreme ends of their graphics settings along with resolutions 720 and 1080.

The 720 32" screen was used to to test true 720p.

I didn't matter what screen was used. 720p is awful compared to 1080.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    4 feet is awfuly close

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    4 feet is awfuly close
    4-6 is that better? LOL, c'mon, I've clearly tested this with what I have. The difference is not a small one regardless of where you're sitting.

PSU Technical Advisor
    4-6 is that better? LOL, c'mon, I've clearly tested this with what I have. The difference is not a small one regardless of where you're sitting.
    Not true. Depending upon the sizes of the tv and where you're sitting, 720p and 1080p are completely indistinguishable to the human eye.

PSN ID
    baffledduck
    Confirmed to be false via developers on Twitter
    http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=659333

18. Likes daLa likes this post
    Forum Guru

Twitter: BF4 only 720p

Hands on with BF4 on PS4

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/2...lacking-on-ps4

With the arrival of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, EA and DICE have promised to bring the Battlefield PC experience to consoles, including massive scale maps, 64 player matches, and 60 frames-per-second gameplay. But up until now, all of the demos we've seen of Battlefield 4 have been running on supercharged PCs, producing jaw-dropping, unsurprisingly gorgeous results. This week at Gamescom, however, I had an opportunity to play Battlefield 4 on a PlayStation 4 development system, and the resulting experience has me worried.

In spite of EA and DICE's emphasis on narrowing the gap between consoles and PC, this week's PS4 demo did not include a full 64-player match or the franchise's beloved vehicular combat. Instead, attendees were treated to a local 16-player match of Domination mode, which limited the play area to a small segment of the game's freshly minted Paracel Storm map. While certainly a demonstration of how the game can be scaled down to satisfy players' need for object-based infantry combat, it's hardly living up to the promise of the "true" Battlefield experience's arrival on consoles.

But what's more concerning is how the game looks.

From the moment I sat down, I was surprisingly underwhelmed by the visuals. Instead of the crisp, detailed textures I've encountered this week on the PC version or other next-gen shooter titles, Battlefield 4 on PS4 looked soft and muddled. Wall textures looked half-finished, lacking some of the smaller material nuances or 3D variation. Environmental destruction was more extensive than Battlefield 3 and explosions would send larger chunks of buildings into the air, but once again, the particles looked dull. Weapon models looked great at the hip, but as soon as I raised them to look down the iron sights or scopes, imperfections became apparent.

Another contributing factor was resolution. While EA and DICE have not confirmed what resolution the game will run at on next-gen consoles, for the purposes of this demo, it was running at a resolution higher than 720p, but not 1080p. Though the difference between the two formats may not be recognizable to more casual players, after spending the week checking out games running natively at 1080p, it was readily apparent to me.

As uninspiring as my demo was visually, it's also important to remember that we are still months away from Battlefield 4's release. It's clearly a work in progress. And most importantly, the game itself is still very much a blast to play. But if today's demonstration is any indication, DICE's commitment to supporting 64-player games and maintaining a solid 60 FPS on next-gen consoles could very well come at the cost of visual fidelity, and as a franchise renowned for its state-of-the-art graphics, it's an unexpected compromise.

Forum Elder
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jackfrags...9404227584?p=v

Not the final res, well see

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Not true. Depending upon the sizes of the tv and where you're sitting, 720p and 1080p are completely indistinguishable to the human eye.
    Sure, watching television. Gaming is brought to you in the resolution as you intend (personal hardware limited) As a PC gamer over the last two years. I assure you, the difference is large.

921,600 pixels vs 2,073,600 pixels technically. Good PC hardware can show the difference. Current consoles, TV, dish, whatever, cannot. Like you said, at least nothing the human eye can see.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Not too bothered, pretty sure my 50'' TV is 720P; the resolution on the left when you select HDMI however has higher dimensions, oddly enough.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

PSU Technical Advisor
    Sure, watching television. Gaming is brought to you in the resolution as you intend (personal hardware limited) As a PC gamer over the last two years. I assure you, the difference is large.

921,600 pixels vs 2,073,600 pixels technically. Good PC hardware can show the difference. Current consoles, TV, dish, whatever, cannot. Like you said, at least nothing the human eye can see.
    ..No, what I'm saying is the human eye cannot differentiate pixel count (tv, gaming, whatever) when certain factors are met. The dimensions of your TV\monitor, the pixel amount and the distance you are from the device.

Gaming monitors are reasonably big, lots of pixels and the end user is very close to it.

A TV, on the other hand, is normally much bigger and is anywhere from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 (roughly) and people sit 4+ feet away from it.

At those distances, people cannot really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, with normal TV sizes.

You also presume I'm not a PC gamer, and I can very much assure you that I am and have been for well over 2 years. I have a very nice rig and a dual monitor set up.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    ..No, what I'm saying is the human eye cannot differentiate pixel count (tv, gaming, whatever) when certain factors are met. The dimensions of your TV\monitor, the pixel amount and the distance you are from the device.

Gaming monitors are reasonably big, lots of pixels and the end user is very close to it.

A TV, on the other hand, is normally much bigger and is anywhere from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 (roughly) and people sit 4+ feet away from it.

At those distances, people cannot really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, with normal TV sizes.

You also presume I'm not a PC gamer, and I can very much assure you that I am and have been for well over 2 years. I have a very nice rig and a dual monitor set up.
    Great! So you personally can or can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on PC?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Now you are just making numbers up

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    You guys are so lame, fun factor should out way the sillyness of 720 vs 1080.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thread Information