Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by baffledduck View Post
    Confirmed to be false via developers on Twitter
    http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=659333
    Well guess we can lock this thread now lol.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    smh
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousBOB View Post
    Great! So you personally can or can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on PC?
    On PC the difference is obvious. On a TV set sitting over 4 feet away, it isn't so obvious.

Given that most consoles are hooked up to television sets, and not PC monitors, it follows that you will likely be in a 'living room' type environment and sitting on a couch or chair.

Significantly farther away from the TV than if you were at your desk playing on a monitor. Even though TV's are bigger than monitors, they're not normally "multiple times" larger or proportionate to the disparity in distance between the two, ie I'm sitting probably a foot from my monitor right now. My monitor is 22in wide.

But I normally sit over 4 feet away from the TV in my living room and it most assuredly isn't 88in wide.

Both are 1920x1080p.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 08-23-2013 at 17:47.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingSpree0 View Post
    You guys are so lame, fun factor should out way the sillyness of 720 vs 1080.
    This is true bottom line. But if BF4 on console is simply 60 fps and more people per server....that doesn't really feel "next gen". It should look much much better. Many will be happy regardless. I've been spoiled PC gaming for 2 years now so I'm a bit bitter, dissatisfied and confused.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    LOL. BF4 visuals were too good to be 1080p60 for a cross gen game.

"More than 720p" but they didn't confirm 1080p

This week at Gamescom, however, I had an opportunity to play Battlefield 4 on a PlayStation 4 development system, and the resulting experience has me worried.

In spite of EA and DICE's emphasis on narrowing the gap between consoles and PC, this week's PS4 demo did not include a full 64-player match or the franchise's beloved vehicular combat. Instead, attendees were treated to a local 16-player match of Domination mode, which limited the play area to a small segment of the game's freshly minted Paracel Storm map.

From the moment I sat down, I was surprisingly underwhelmed by the visuals. Instead of the crisp, detailed textures I've encountered this week on the PC version or other next-gen shooter titles, Battlefield 4 on PS4 looked soft and muddled. Wall textures looked half-finished, lacking some of the smaller material nuances or 3D variation. Environmental destruction was more extensive than Battlefield 3 and explosions would send larger chunks of buildings into the air, but once again, the particles looked dull. Weapon models looked great at the hip, but as soon as I raised them to look down the iron sights or scopes, imperfections became apparent.

Another contributing factor was resolution. While EA and DICE have not confirmed what resolution the game will run at on next-gen consoles, for the purposes of this demo, it was running at a resolution higher than 720p, but not 1080p. Though the difference between the two formats may not be recognizable to more casual players, after spending the week checking out games running natively at 1080p, it was readily apparent to me. IGN
    Last edited by Itachi; 08-23-2013 at 18:00.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Games are like girls, you have to have good graphics for us to approach you so we can test the "fun factor"

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    It's not a tragedy but i think i'll just play it on pc then

Tapatalkin'

Extreme Poster
    did someone just say they have a 50" that only supports 720p? what's the point of that? lol.
    more fun when you can see things better.

Dedicated Member
    On my 90" projection screen (native 1080p projector), the difference between 720p and 1080p is clear as day. 1080p is so much more crisp. Even 1080i looks a little better than 720p. This claim about the human eye not being able to distinguish between 720p and 1080p and pixel count is bollocks. By that silly logic, you also wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the upcoming 4k and 1080p.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    On my 90" projection screen (native 1080p projector), the difference between 720p and 1080p is clear as day. 1080p is so much more crisp. Even 1080i looks a little better than 720p. This claim about the human eye not being able to distinguish between 720p and 1080p and pixel count is bollocks. By that silly logic, you also wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the upcoming 4k and 1080p.
    That's because the projector is 90in.

Extreme Poster
    who made that claim anyway?

the claim is that you can't see it from a certain distance...i think you're getting confused here. we'd see a difference as long as we're seeing a bigger display, regardless of the resolution size.

Dedicated Member
    I also have a 42" inches lcd in the other room, native 1080p (not scaled) is still a noticeable PQ step up from 720p. If you dont notice the difference, then thats your setup or your eyes. But stop making generalized statements.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Based on seating distances, it isn't bollocks at all. Even if I had a 90" screen in my bedroom, I would wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 720/1080 watching from my bed.

14. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    I also have a 42" inches lcd in the other room, native 1080p (not scaled) is still a noticeable PQ step up from 720p. If you dont notice the difference, then thats your setup or your eyes. But stop making generalized statements.
    you can notice the difference, that's not the problem. what you're not understanding is that the distance at where you sit from the TV is what makes this difference noticeable.

16. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Sit close to this you see each individual letter and not the image
    but sit far back you see the image more than each individual letter

18. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    you can notice the difference, that's not the problem. what you're not understanding is that the distance at where you sit from the TV is what makes this difference noticeable.
    Exactly. That's all I'm trying to say, and I feel I have gone to good lengths to make this clear..

Dedicated Member
    duh i know about the distance..been using projectors since ten years wouldnt i know such basics. you cannot sit too far away on a mid sized television to discern the increased pixels that 1080p has to offer. that was not the point. one of the guys on a previous page made what looked like a generalized statement that 720p and 1080p are indistinguishable to the human eye. i was calling out on that.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Exactly. That's all I'm trying to say, and I feel I have gone to good lengths to make this clear..
    yea, what he's "implying" isn't humanly possible. you can't tell different in resolution if you were sitting 50 feet away (e.g. probably much less in real life) from a 90 in screen. I don't care you're superman, you can't tell.

22. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Superior Member
    My tv's are only 720p anyways. Watch me not care at all lol.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post
    DILLIGAF

25. Likes WretchedSoul21, Vulgotha likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    duh i know about the distance..been using projectors since ten years wouldnt i know such basics. you cannot sit too far away on a mid sized television to discern the increased pixels that 1080p has to offer. that was not the point. one of the guys on a previous page made what looked like a generalized statement that 720p and 1080p are indistinguishable to the human eye. i was calling out on that.
    did you read the beginning of his post? duh indeed sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Not true. Depending upon the sizes of the tv and where you're sitting, 720p and 1080p are completely indistinguishable to the human eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post
    trust me, you would care if you saw the difference. especially if your TV was bigger than 32".

27. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Superior Member
    trust me, you would care if you saw the difference. especially if your TV was bigger than 32".
    My bedroom tv is a 32" while my family room tv is 42". I probably wont upgrade until 4k tvs start getting affordable.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Forum Guru
    Only meaningful metric for 'enough' resolution for a display is in degrees or arcminutes.
    Human eye can see plenty of resolution, but it's not linearly distributed and it has a huge FoV.
    Last edited by jlippone; 08-24-2013 at 07:47.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I still don't see how people can honestly say that 720p is a gamebreaker. That makes absolutely no sense. It makes sense in the way it's said but within the gaming world it's nothing more than snobbish and on top of that if it's a game breaker you may as well just quit gaming because the standards are way to high to the point where it's silly.

Gaming on PC you can tell the difference easily between 720p, 1080p, and of course 1920x1200. I've gamed on 1920x1200 resolutions many times so I can tell the difference. For some odd reason on a TV with a gaming console as big as the TV screen is. 720p on a 52" with small writing in the game can easily be read from 8ft away. With that being said, it's certainly not a gamebreaker and it still provides a crystal clear picture.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 08-24-2013 at 08:20.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Well, I guess it'll be proper 720p HD rather than the ~544p stuff we've been seeing?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Thread Information